Wish FAS Jazz 120

What do you feel is missing from the current jazz120?
#1. Volume level is so low it is hard to balance against other amp types in the same preset
#2. In comparison to the same amp type in a Boss unit, it just does not sound as good (I admit that is subjective)
#3. Hard to dial in a "crystal clean" sound, and to me, that is the whole point of the Roland Jazz Chorus amp.
#4. Needs parameters specific to the fact that it is solid state

#1. Volume level is so low it is hard to balance against other amp types in the same preset
#2. In comparison to the same amp type in a Boss unit, it just does not sound as good (I admit that is subjective)
#3. Hard to dial in a "crystal clean" sound, and to me, that is the whole point of the Roland Jazz Chorus amp.
#4. Needs parameters specific to the fact that it is solid state
The MV defaults to 5. Set it to 10. The amp has no Master Volume so it should really default to 10. It's been discussed a few times in the past. That solves #1.

Just curious - have you used a real Jazz 120? I did not like it at all and it would distort pretty easily. Had to keep the channel volumes very low.

I've played through the Jazz Chorus 77 many times, but not a 120.
Seems confusing that you're requesting a new model based on not being able to make the existing model sound like something you've never played but a different amp. I don't know how similar they are...

Seems confusing that you're requesting a new model based on not being able to make the existing model sound like something you've never played but a different amp. I don't know how similar they are...
But the JC 120 is also an amp we've all heard countless times on recordings. I'm going on my ears here.

But the JC 120 is also an amp we've all heard countless times on recordings. I'm going on my ears here.
True... But with limited knowledge on how it was mic'd, mixed, EQ'd, post processed, mastered, etc ;)

Personally it's not the clean tone for me - I like my clean with a little more grit.

Anyway, maybe Cliff will chime in or somebody may have some other tips.

sure, but that doesn't mean the way the Axe model works isn't the way the real one does.

increase the Level parameter in the amp block to get the level you need to match other amp blocks. it can go up to +20dB.

sure, but that doesn't mean the way the Axe model works isn't the way the real one does.

increase the Level parameter in the amp block to get the level you need to match other amp blocks. it can go up to +20dB.
Been there, done that HUNDREDS of times. It never sounds right to me or starts clipping. That's why I starting using the version in my Boss unit for recording. There's far less tweaking to get a good crystal clean tone.

The MV defaults to 5. Set it to 10. The amp has no Master Volume so it should really default to 10. It's been discussed a few times in the past. That solves #1.

It's based on a transistor amp. While Master can be set to 10 instead of 5, it's no different than adjusting Level.

Been there, done that HUNDREDS of times. It never sounds right to me or starts clipping. That's why I starting using the version in my Boss unit for recording. There's far less tweaking to get a good crystal clean tone.

It only starts clipping when you increase Input Drive above 5. Don't do that and it will stay very clean. Just increase Amp Level to get the level you need from the amp model. And engage the Bright switch for the sparkle.

It's based on a transistor amp. While Master can be set to 10 instead of 5, it's no different than adjusting Level.
True... But it's not consistent with all the other non-MV amps and it does address the "it's not loud enough" complaint ;)

What is your input drive setting?

What is your input drive setting?
I kept it pretty low, 4 or 5, and like I said. I've put many, many hours into tweaking and never truly found what I was looking for. This is a wish list and Cliff has said: "If I had my way there would be only FAS models but too many people demand reproductions of existing amps.", so I figure it doesn't hurt to bring up the idea of an FAS Jazz. If he doesn't want to do it, great, I'll use the Boss version for recordings it sounds great with minimal tweaks. If he does do it. I'll publicly thank him on the forum.
FractalCliff.JPG

Hmm, not to split hairs, but 4 or 5 is half-way and not what I’d consider pretty low. I think if you set it like that on the real amp, it will not be clean.

Hmm, not to split hairs, but 4 or 5 is half-way and not what I’d consider pretty low. I think if you set it like that on the real amp, it will not be clean.
Which is the whole point of an FAS Jazz 120. A customized take on the existing amp, that nails the crystal clean sound at the beginning of Metallica's "One" or Queensryche's clean tones on the early discs. Or 10,000 other songs you've heard on the radio using a JC-120 for bright, clean sounds.

There's already an FAS version of a 5150 and the Modern is an idealized version of a Dual Rec. Why not an idealized version of the Jazz Chorus?

Which is the whole point of an FAS Jazz 120. A customized take on the existing amp, that nails the crystal clean sound at the beginning of Metallica's "One" or Queensryche's clean tones on the early discs. Or 10,000 other songs you've heard on the radio using a JC-120 for bright, clean sounds.

There's already an FAS version of a 5150 and the Modern is an idealized version of a Dual Rec. Why not an idealized version of the Jazz Chorus?
Sure I totally support the idea of a FAS custom model. But the amp works how it works. I’ll try to make a super clean tone when I get home and see what the settings end up being.

If anyone has access to a real Jazz 120 can you see what it sounds like with the channel volume around 5? If you can make it that high!

Back
Top Bottom