Wish FAS Jazz 120

Sure I totally support the idea of a FAS custom model. But the amp works how it works. I’ll try to make a super clean tone when I get home and see what the settings end up being.

If anyone has access to a real Jazz 120 can you see what it sounds like with the channel volume around 5? If you can make it that high!
As Cliff once said: "In the digital realm we are not constrained by the limitations that face tube amp designers so we are free to implement designs that would be nearly impossible with a tube amp." (also true for solid state)

Also: "The FAS models typically remove or minimize the undesirable characteristics of those old amps."

But it is not up to me. It is up to Cliff.

Truth be told, up until about 2 or 3 weeks ago, I always was drawn to models of other amps and not the FAS models. So, I'm now in the "more FAS designs or modifications/idealizations of existing amps" camps rather than "give me an exact duplicate of Amp X".

source for Cliff's quotes.

As Cliff once said: "In the digital realm we are not constrained by the limitations that face tube amp designers so we are free to implement designs that would be nearly impossible with a tube amp." (also true for solid state)

Also: "The FAS models typically remove or minimize the undesirable characteristics of those old amps."

But it is not up to me. It is up to Cliff.

Truth be told, up until about 2 or 3 weeks ago, I always was drawn to models of other amps and not the FAS models. So, I'm now in the "more FAS designs or modifications/idealizations of existing amps" camps rather than "give me an exact duplicate of Amp X".

source for Cliff's quotes.
Yeah. We have one camp wanting the most authentic modeling, and another camp wanting adjustments to it. Cliff has to make choices that either balance those 2 desires, or goes more one way than the other.

A FAS model of the Jazz would be cool. But that amp - I feel - is a one-trick-pony.

My favorite super cleans are the USA Pre clean, Shiver Clean, and Archean Clean.

Yeah. We have one camp wanting the most authentic modeling, and another camp wanting adjustments to it. Cliff has to make choices that either balance those 2 desires, or goes more one way than the other.

A FAS model of the Jazz would be cool. But that amp - I feel - is a one-trick-pony.

My favorite super cleans are the USA Pre clean, Shiver Clean, and Archean Clean.
Many moons ago I had a Rocktron Voodu valve preamp. It only had 3 "amp" tones: Clean, Low Gain Distortion and High Gain Distortion. But with 2 EQs and a simulated Variac, you get it sounding close to many "real" amps or you could just configure it your way. It had presets that nailed many famous or infamous guitar tones including a good replication of "Plush" by STP, "Got To Choose" by Kiss and the "All the World's Stage" tone.

For the most part with both Boss GT units and Fractal Units I have at most 3 or 4 sounds. Clean, Crunch, Low Gain Distortion and High Gain Distortion. More things change, the more they stay the same.

i'm working with the amp model now. looked up a video, and here, he has the Channel Volume at 1 or so on the real amp for the clean parts. at the end he cranks it up to 10 and plays lightly, and it's definitely distorted.

with the settings in the screenshot below, the Volume matches my other presets and does not break up at all. i could get more level by increasing the Master Volume on the Ideal page, but this works fine for me:

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 11.41.04 AM.png

i'm working with the amp model now. looked up a video, and here, he has the Channel Volume at 1 or so on the real amp for the clean parts. at the end he cranks it up to 10 and plays lightly, and it's definitely distorted.

with the settings in the screenshot below, the Volume matches my other presets and does not break up at all. i could get more level by increasing the Master Volume on the Ideal page, but this works fine for me:

View attachment 79418

It's also interesting to think that EVERY Boss GT unit has an "Output Select Type" of JC-120. So, I guess Boss thinks the Jazz Chorus is a good pedal platform.

It's also interesting to think that EVERY Boss GT unit has an "Output Select Type" of JC-120. So, I guess Boss thinks the Jazz Chorus is a good pedal platform.
it could also be that was really the only amp they made for a long time and they developed their gear to work with their own gear.

I had some JC in the past... jc120 was the hisser & louder. It is clean and louder till 5 os so, then add some kind of "comptortion" (mix of compression & distortion). But is LOUD. I usually jammed around 2 or 3 with rock & metal drummer, and used some pedal in front for distortion & fx. The 3d of chorus was to die for.
I wonder, being a solid state, if modeling belong to amp block or drive block. JC120 model to me has always been too... "tubey". It has more of a nasty solid state pushed vibe. Maybe JC120 (and some Randall...) may benefit of the new drive modeling? What about some SSA into drive block? Heresy? :eek:;)

Sure I totally support the idea of a FAS custom model. But the amp works how it works. I’ll try to make a super clean tone when I get home and see what the settings end up being.

If anyone has access to a real Jazz 120 can you see what it sounds like with the channel volume around 5? If you can make it that high!
I've had the JC120 AND JC77 and past 5 gets a little "unclean". I've played with the JC in the FM3 and it sounds like all I remember. The recordings everyone talks about also had some other magic stuff thrown into the mix. I could also get the "JC clean" sounds with my old LabSeries L7 (which would be a good amp to add to Fractal's already cool collection). As with "brown sound", "The Edge sound", etc. it's subjective...maybe you just "ain't holding your mouth right!"

Back
Top Bottom