FAS Humbuster Cable PLUS SHIPPING - OUCH

jiagap

Inspired
I have a humbuster cable I bought years ago with my first Fractal Ultra, it is finally starting to fritz out. I went to order another one from Fractal for 19.99 and the shipping to SW Washington is $18.10. Anyone recommend a similar kind of cable that I can get from a local dealer or Amazon? I struggle paying as much for shipping as the product, but maybe I will have to.

Thanks

You can make a regular TRS to TRS cable into a Humbuster cable by shorting the ring and Sleeve contacts together on one of the plugs. If you unscrew the plug barrel, you can solder a small jumper between those two lugs. Just make sure you mark the modified end and always plug that end into the receiving device. The standard TRS plug side should go to the Fractal output jack.

You can make a regular TRS to TRS cable into a Humbuster cable by shorting the ring and Sleeve contacts together on one of the plugs. If you unscrew the plug barrel, you can solder a small jumper between those two lugs. Just make sure you mark the modified end and always plug that end into the receiving device. The standard TRS plug side should go to the Fractal output jack.
+1 - Made my own this way - easy.

I have found, cheap and readily available on Amazon, 1/4 male TRS to 1/4 female TS adaptors.

Couldn't a handful of these on hand work to essentially make any cable you already had a humbuster? Or, is there some reason this wouldn't work?

I see on here that it is very easy to convert a TRS cable, which is what I intend to do, because I don't want the extra bulk. However, if someone either didn't want to, or just isn't good at soldering, or just wanted to have them handy in a pinch for a bad cable, wouldn't these work?

They are basically like a headphone 1/8-1/4 inch adaptor. Looks just like one. But works as described above. I saw a previous post, someone wondering about someone "making some coin" with an adaptor. Well, they are already available for sale cheaply.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I'm not an expert.

Thanks,

Mike

Nope. Those adapters short the Tip and Ring together. Humbuster shorts the Sleeve and Ring together. It would also need to be TRS female to TS male as well. You can't convert to TS at the Fractal end and use a regular TS cable to run to the receiving device. That defeats the purpose of the humbuster circuit. The ring contact wire needs to run the full length of the cable and be shorted to the sleeve at the input of the receiving device for best results.

Last edited:
Nope. Those adapters short the Tip and Ring together. Humbuster shorts the Sleeve and Ring together. It would also need to be TRS female to TS male as well. You can't convert to TS at the Fractal end and use a regular TS cable to run to the receiving device. That defeats the purpose of the humbuster circuit. The ring contact wire needs to run the full length of the cable and be shorted to the sleeve at the input of the receiving device for best results.
Thanks again for the info.

Back
Top Bottom