FAS Hot Rod

Karl Houseknecht

Power User
Yek's posts have inspired me to look at different models. I know he hasn't gotten there yet, but that FAS Hot Rod is something else. Saw some notes where Cliff said he preferred it to the Friedmans and Splawns. Both of those have been my favorite hot rodded "Marshalls" for a while. I own a real Splawn. It's great. But playing that FAS Hot Rod makes me wish there were a real world counterpart. Is there something close?

I'm starting to really dig this virtual virtuoso amp too but IMO to me it sounds better without the bright switch off. I shut that off and turn on the cut switch then thank crank the treble up to 7.5 or so. Sound killer with the new OH Marshall V30 cab pack.

I started playing with this model last few days and absolutely love it! I nailed the early EVH sounds and have been playing a lot of the old catalogue stuff. Just a beauty of an amp. Was grinning for hours on end. I agree about the bright switch...it's a bit much when engaged.

I have owned my Axe FX 2 XL+ for about 5 years now and I just gave that amp a good try last night. How the heck did I miss this amp? It's exactly what I was looking for for an 80's style rock and roll metal chuggalong song. It's a tribute songs to all the bands I grew up listening to from Alice Cooper to EVH. I had a tone in my head of what the guitars should sound like and this amp does it all. It's meaty but so clear and the note separation is very good even at higher gains. I think it will sit well in the mix.

Back
Top Bottom