FAS Hot Rod is a Beast!

Sashman

Experienced
Holy Moly,

I was always a fan of the FAS Hot Rod but this amp is a insane and aggressive beast when you change the Tonestack to Plexi.
Together with the York Audio Bogner Cab (Mix01) this is my favourite combination right now.
Thank you Cliff for giving us the oportunity to change Tonestacks etc. and customize a amp.

Yeah, the FAS amps are on another level. I recently dove into the Modern I and II and the Hot Rod and Rhythm. Impeccable tones that don't require touching any parameters apart from the front page. I chuck the ML Sound Lab's Best IR in the world and a TS in front as a boost as needed and boy am I glad that my tone chase ha ended (for now). The FAS amps are like "easy mode" but give you some of the best results! It's liberating to realise that you don't need to bother with the majority of the other amp models to fine tune tones.

Holy Moly,

I was always a fan of the FAS Hot Rod but this amp is a insane and aggressive beast when you change the Tonestack to Plexi.
Together with the York Audio Bogner Cab (Mix01) this is my favourite combination right now.
Thank you Cliff for giving us the oportunity to change Tonestacks etc. and customize a amp.
Where can I find this preset?
York Audio Bogner Cab - which package is this specifically?
Thanks!

Where can I find this preset?
York Audio Bogner Cab - which package is this specifically?
Thanks!
Here is my preset.
Just ad the Mix01 or Mix03 from the cab pack posted above, or you can use 844 and 848 from the factory IR's
The factory IR‘s will sound brighter and a bit thinner, so dial back presence and dial in more depth and bass.

Attachments

• 0535_Sash's Hot Rod.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 48
Changing the tonestack to me was way more dramatic of an effect than I anticipated. I put a Plexi tonestack on the 5150, and vice versa. Each time it was like playing a completely different amp, which opened an entirely new world of tone. It’s something I often forget to experiment with, but it may be one of the most fun and cool mods, to my ears.

Yep, I'm using mostly FAS amps for a 2-hour set of yacht rock. I use a black panel-ish thing for one song, and the HBE for the all Toto/Luke solos. Everything else is some version of a dialed-back FAS Crunch for edgey breakup/clean up with volume roll off, and FAS Hot Rod for leads, with the same York Audio cabs in every preset. Great stuff; I can easily live there for this material.

I know I'm re-stating the obvious, but experimenting with all the tips from Cliff, Cooper Carter, and folks on this forum was key to achieving modeling nirvana - these are really good resources to mine. Adding the F12 cab was a tremendous improvement, particularly given what I'd been using. And I find IEMs work fantastic when needed, if setup with a little thought.

The AXE-FX is an amazing value, and continues to impress. I make great use of the setlist feature, and the latest tweakables are just insanely good. My old AX-8 with a small Xitone 10" powered cab is the ultimate grab-and-go B-rig. I'm still perfectly happy when using the AX-8.

Fractal rig and a nice guitar, and I can't stop playing. Love this stuff!

Changing the tonestack to me was way more dramatic of an effect than I anticipated. I put a Plexi tonestack on the 5150, and vice versa. Each time it was like playing a completely different amp, which opened an entirely new world of tone. It’s something I often forget to experiment with, but it may be one of the most fun and cool mods, to my ears.
I dont have a model T yet, so I went down the tonestack rabbit hole a little trying to convert bass amps to doom monsters. It’s fun!

100%. you can build many amps if you know the topology
another fav of mine is the HK Triamp
the Triamp is basically a Marshall but with a Soldano gain structure
So basically take an SLO and swap the tone stack to Jcm800 , change to El34s and Ecc83 and you can match it up pretty easily

So basically take an SLO and swap the tone stack to Jcm800 , change to El34s and Ecc83 and you can match it up pretty easily

Yes, this is some stuff I want to get into. Hell, I’m just getting into Plexi Variacs! Simple but damn, it’s effective. I’ve written this elsewhere, but we should have a compendium of amps and pedals that are not in the Axe where people know how to get there, like what you just wrote. Your steps are simple to follow, and there are similar tips out there on this forum for different approximations. Man, tone is always a bigger and cooler world than I realize!

HK Triamp = ???
Jcm800 = ???
Thank's

Back
Top Bottom