FAS-FX Rack

mmunoz

I'm a happy owner of FAS-FX Reverb and now waiting for FAS-FX Delay.
But I would prefer a FAS-FX Rack instead including Reverb, Delay (including Delay, MegaTapDelay, Multi-Delay), Chorus (including Chorus, Quad-Chorus), etc
This is what we have today with Soundtoys Effect Rack or Slate Virtual Mix Rack. It would be more convenient for mixing and also cheaper than buying each plugin separately.

Bear in mind that part of the Fractal magic is hardware based. This has been the case since day 1.
Im sure, but, IMO, the most important thing of the sound is in the algorithms.
I have good audio cards (RME) with guitar inputs and I think they are good for this purpose.

Im sure, but, IMO, the most important thing of the sound is in the algorithms. I have good audio cards (RME) with guitar inputs and I think they are good for this purpose.
FAS has a "secret sauce" for their inputs so unless an audio interface has the same set up it won't sound the same. I'm not saying an interface will not sound better or worse but it won't sound the same. The algorithms matter but as I said, and as FAS says, they are only part of the equation.

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_II_connections_and_levels

Last edited:
FAS has a "secret sauce" for their inputs so unless an audio interface has the same set up it won't sound the same. I'm not saying an interface will not sound better or worse but it won't sound the same. The algorithms matter but as I said, and as FAS says, they are only part of the equation.

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_II_connections_and_levels

I recorded DI signals from the Axe Fx II via SPDIF, and then through the DI of a Steinberg UR824 Audio Interface, its smaller sibling UR28M, and then through the DI of a Universal Audio 2-610 tube preamp. Then I reamped all these DI signals via SPDIF through the Axe Fx II. Tried it with a variety of models, from Fender clean to Plexi roar to Engl high gain. Results:

- The Axe Fx II DI sounds reamped exactly like playing through the amp models right away. Doh! Who would have guessed...
- The Steinberg UR28M DI recordings sound much worse when reamped. There is a lack of detail, depth, a high end roll-off, etc. The interface's 500kOhm DI is obviously not doing a great Job.
- The Steinberg UR824 has a 1 MOhm DI and performs much better: Recordings made through this DI sound reamped almost like those made with the Axe Fx II's DI. They are slightly - really only slightly - brighter sounding, because the upper bass / low mid range is a little thinner. However, that was easily fixed with just slapping the good old Waves Renaissance EQ on the track and boosting that range by 1-2dB. Apart from that, regarding detail, resolution, high frequency range, depth etc. the reamped tracks were just as good as those through the DI of the Axe Fx II.
- Reamping a recording made through the 2.2 MOhm tube DI of the Universal Audio preamp was even better than reamping the Axe Fx II signal. As if a tube pre worth approx. $1000 per channel adds a nice sheen to the sound. Again - doh, who would have guessed...

One thing that was very important for the comparison was to look at the peak and RMS level of all the DI signals and adjust the levels of the non-Axe DI signals to the level of the Axe Fx DI. The Axe Fx II DI signals were typically around -22 to -16 dBFS, if you run a hotter signal through the Axe for reamping, it will quickly distort in an unpleasant way.

i'd love a hardware fx only rack unit (i've been mentioning it on and off for years, hoping fas might get the hint). i'd like it to be more powerful than the fx8...actually more powerful than the axe fx...with 8 plex delays, 8 band multitaps etc etc and even some crazy stuff like a buffer/granular delay

i'd love a hardware fx only rack unit (i've been mentioning it on and off for years, hoping fas might get the hint). i'd like it to be more powerful than the fx8...actually more powerful than the axe fx...with 8 plex delays, 8 band multitaps etc etc and even some crazy stuff like a buffer/granular delay

Yeah, something like an FX only version of the Axe so all processing power could be given over to effects and controllers would be awesome with AU/VST interface! Ahhh, well we can only dream.

Bear in mind that part of the Fractal magic is hardware based. This has been the case since day 1.
As an exe II owner, I don't mind getting a VST using the physical axe for sound processing. All I want is a simpler reampingèwhile listening-in-the-mix process than what we can currently do, as it currently requires using another sound card than the one in the Fractal unit. I asked for this ages ago, the issue seems to be USB doesn't have enough channels to do that natively. Possibly in an axe III using USB-C ?

Isn't the reverb plug in even better than what's in the axe? So its possible their other fx plug ins might even be better?

Back
Top Bottom