FAS Crunch amp model - BLIMEY!!

chucma

Fractal Fanatic
I've been using the AC30 and Morgan AC20 amp models for the last year or so now, and generally when I want a fat drive I have just pushed up the gain on these amps - all good. For some reason, I felt like I needed a redesign on some of my main presets and started messing with the FAS Crunch amp. Normally I'm a fan of the actual amps, so have not spent a lot of time with the FAS models because I'm too busy going through the other 'real life' amps and always thought I'll go through the FAS ones at a later stage.

Mind officially blown!! It has the PERFECT gain structure for what I was looking for, very fat with plenty of detail yet somehow does not come across as too harsh.

I've played it live for the first time now and I have never had so many compliments on my driven before - and I play in a Church people!! So when you get about 20 different people coming up to you saying how amazing the guitar sounded then you know you've got a real gem!

And it's pretty difficult to dial in a bad sound with it too, I messed around with the BMT a little but in the end only dropped the treble and bass slightly, the rest is default.

Anyway, loved it so much I figured it's worth a shout out - or maybe I'm a late comer to this party and all you guys use it already!! :)

Have fun!

Nice discovery! I am also a huge fan of many of the FAS models. My main preset uses the FAS Rhythm, and I have an alternate preset using the FAS 6160.

Although it's not surprising that they sound good, in many regards they are designed to be "perfect" and not limited by the constraints of the physical world!

Yes! +1 for trying out the FAS Models.
Beside the FAS Modern III, I'm totally digging the "Brootalz" these days. A killer high gain amp!

Yeah, I'd really like a write-up on the FAS amps on the same vein as the current series on the general amps, just dedicated to the unique ones.

It'd be great to hear from Cliff what sound he was going for with each, what the inspiration was for each, etc!

Any settings you can recommend of the FAS Crunch? Or blocks to share? After reading this topic I tried it but had a hard time finding a good sound. Somehow it was also more noisy with the default setting than other amp models.

Any settings you can recommend of the FAS Crunch? Or blocks to share? After reading this topic I tried it but had a hard time finding a good sound. Somehow it was also more noisy with the default setting than other amp models.

No problem, I'm out at work for a couple of days but when I get back I'll share my preset where I have used it. I'll also post a reference recording of how I'm using it so you can hear the sound I get from it; I can imagine it might be too noisy for certain styles.

What cabs are you guys using for this. Are you still going the AC30 style 2x12 or something completely different ?

Different cab to the AC30. From the top of my head it 'might' be either the FAS4x12 (#60) or one of the prerolas (maybe #54). I can't remember which one I settled on but it probably wouldn't have been the same as the 2x12 I use for the AC30 and AC-20. I'll post my preset in a couple of days so will be able to see then.

FAS crunch sounds like a plexi to me.

AFAIK, it's supposed to be Cliff's take on the ultimate Plexi. I've never given it more than a passing play through because there's plenty of Plexi goodness to be found elsewhere. I'll have to sit down and give it a bit more of a shot though.
-
Austin

I'll wait for your preset, I've had a quick play and couldn't get anything I liked, especially on the edge of breakup.

I'll wait for your preset, I've had a quick play and couldn't get anything I liked, especially on the edge of breakup.

I don't think it's really one of those 'edge of breakup' kind of amps. The FAS Crunch feels like more of a driven, gain monster from a Plexi era. I use the AC-20 more for an edge of breakup because that amp can go from amazing cleans to a nice sweet drive quite easily. I use the FAS Crunch to get me into fat territory when I need it.

I don't think it's really one of those 'edge of breakup' kind of amps. The FAS Crunch feels like more of a driven, gain monster from a Plexi era. I use the AC-20 more for an edge of breakup because that amp can go from amazing cleans to a nice sweet drive quite easily. I use the FAS Crunch to get me into fat territory when I need it.
Yes that's what I'm using at the moment, and it does it beautifully.
Always experimenting though, that's the beauty of the Axe.

And finally I'm back so had a small gap today to get the preset and I also whipped together a very rough video of the sounds I'm getting out of the FAS Crunch amp. Apologies for the sloppy playing, I literally had only a few minutes to put a sample down so I played a bunch of riffs and picked the ones that sounded least rushed, unfortunately not my greatest playing ever but you get the idea.

The preset needs some basic walk through:
Scene 1 - This is the Morgan AC-20. This is my ultimate one the edge of breakup amp, I love it. Also use this scene with the multi delay for atmospheric sounds
Scene 2 - This is the FAS Crunch, I use this mostly for fat driven, Plexi style rhythm when power is really needed

Drive is used for a longer sustain if doing any lead bits, although remember, this preset is used for a P&W setting so might not suit everyone.

EDIT: Changed the preset file with one that does not have any global blocks and disabled the controller for the volume block

Attachments

• w_Main_unlinked.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I don't keep alot of presets, but this one sounds very good! Noticed the FAS Modern was in scene 5...BOOM. I also added a classic vibe in place of the compressor...it just seemed like it needed that.

For those who try this:
You'll have to unlink the global blocks (will ask you automatically.) Had to bypass the VOL block.

I don't keep alot of presets, but this one sounds very good! Noticed the FAS Modern was in scene 5...BOOM. I also added a classic vibe in place of the compressor...it just seemed like it needed that.

For those who try this:
You'll have to unlink the global blocks (will ask you automatically.) Had to bypass the VOL block.

Ah sorry, I forgot to unlink the global blocks! Sorry guys!

What settings did you use for the vibe? Always loved that effect but never know how to set it up properly.

Bummer it is XL again! I got all excited...
Can you maybe share the amp and cab block (as block files) so non XL users can try it? maybe also the drive block

Back
Top Bottom