FAS 6160 for TSO - I've come full circle

I do a yearly TSO cover 'tour' (3 locations - all for charity, lol), and this is my first year using the AXE FX. In past years I've used a Tonelab LE, and a POD HD500X.... the LE sounded decent with the SLO model (but that was the only decent model), the 500X sounded awful. The key for TSO is that you want a tone that sounds HUGE when you need it. After messing with the FAS 6160, it's clear that it will accomplish that. Just throw an TS808 in front of it and it's a monster for both rhythm and lead.

My go to amp for a few months had been the FAS Brootalz... but last night I was experimenting with other amps and stumbled on the FAS 6160. I liked the Brootalz amp, but the 6160 has everything I was trying to accomplish with the Brootalz but couldn't quite get there (and I didn't change any amp settings when moving from brootalz to 6160). I won't bother trying to explain what I like about it - I'm just trying to encourage other people to check it out! Infact, try out all of the FAS models - Cliff already did the hard work by implementing filters in the model to cut/boost what sounds good on some of the FAS amp models (like the 6160).

I previously stayed away from the FAS amp models because I wanted to choose a 'real' amp. Recto, HBE, some of the 5150 models, USA Lead, etc. just weren't quite what I was looking for, I liked them, but I knew it'd take a long time to tweak to get what I wanted. However, when I tried the FAS amps, they were much more usable, without nearly as much tweaking compared to other amp models I've tried.

What's funny is, the last tube amp I owned before buying processors was a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo, lol, looks like I've come full circle.

Going on Dec. 12 at the Amway Arena in Orlando!!

Why do people like to attach anything negative to Americans? It's hardly just an American thing.

Try googling "TSO Band" and see what the top results are. TSO is not an obscure group by any stretch of the imagination, especially for guitarists in a guitar gear forum. I guarantee you've heard their rendition of carol of the bells at some point. And their roster has seen many extremely well known and well accomplished guitarists.

Are you guys seriously replying to my (what I thought was clearly a) sarcastic remark? The 'let me google that for you' thing is a condescending response to a legitimate question (my first thought was "TSO?" too) and the link showed how vague it was because it does not even return even correct/appropriate results in the general case. Given this, I think this deserved a sarcastic response. Take your medicine.

I swear this forum can get into derailed arguments over anything lol. Sometime's its impressive haha. Really? Acronyms guys? rofl.

TSO is awesome btw and the FAS amps are top notch. I especially like tweaking the advanced perimeters with them since I don't feel as attached to the amps "real" sound. If that makes sense.

I swear this forum can get into derailed arguments over anything lol. Sometime's its impressive haha. Really? Acronyms guys? rofl.

TSO is awesome btw and the FAS amps are top notch. I especially like tweaking the advanced perimeters with them since I don't feel as attached to the amps "real" sound. If that makes sense.

Makes sense to me. It's a mental block for me to try to chase signature tones from a specific amp type.

Using the FAS amps has helped me move passed that and toward something I can call my own.

Back
Top Bottom