FAS 6160 for TSO - I've come full circle

JRod4928

Power User
I do a yearly TSO cover 'tour' (3 locations - all for charity, lol), and this is my first year using the AXE FX. In past years I've used a Tonelab LE, and a POD HD500X.... the LE sounded decent with the SLO model (but that was the only decent model), the 500X sounded awful. The key for TSO is that you want a tone that sounds HUGE when you need it. After messing with the FAS 6160, it's clear that it will accomplish that. Just throw an TS808 in front of it and it's a monster for both rhythm and lead.

My go to amp for a few months had been the FAS Brootalz... but last night I was experimenting with other amps and stumbled on the FAS 6160. I liked the Brootalz amp, but the 6160 has everything I was trying to accomplish with the Brootalz but couldn't quite get there (and I didn't change any amp settings when moving from brootalz to 6160). I won't bother trying to explain what I like about it - I'm just trying to encourage other people to check it out! Infact, try out all of the FAS models - Cliff already did the hard work by implementing filters in the model to cut/boost what sounds good on some of the FAS amp models (like the 6160).

I previously stayed away from the FAS amp models because I wanted to choose a 'real' amp. Recto, HBE, some of the 5150 models, USA Lead, etc. just weren't quite what I was looking for, I liked them, but I knew it'd take a long time to tweak to get what I wanted. However, when I tried the FAS amps, they were much more usable, without nearly as much tweaking compared to other amp models I've tried.

What's funny is, the last tube amp I owned before buying processors was a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo, lol, looks like I've come full circle.

Last edited:
Thanks for googling that for me, now let me educate you on how google works. ;) Given how generic that acronym is, depending on how your browser and privacy options are set that link is going to return different things for different people. In my case it returned Texas State Optical; which is a pretty dumb band name. IMHO.

Reactions: J.C
No offense, but TSO is a pretty common abbreviation for a band that fills arenas across the USA, if you can't Google it on your own, and can't figure out how to troubleshoot the Google machine when it gives obviously wrong results, you got some learning about the interwebs to do. :)

Thanks for googling that for me, now let me educate you on how google works. ;) Given how generic that acronym is, depending on how your browser and privacy options are set that link is going to return different things for different people. In my case it returned Texas State Optical; which is a pretty dumb band name. IMHO.

Try googling "TSO Band" and see what the top results are. TSO is not an obscure group by any stretch of the imagination, especially for guitarists in a guitar gear forum. I guarantee you've heard their rendition of carol of the bells at some point. And their roster has seen many extremely well known and well accomplished guitarists.

Just curious, do you just turn down the guitar's volume for quieter parts or do you use a different preset?

Generally, I love fender style cleans, so I would go to a different preset with a fender amp model. However, if the song is only quiet for a few seconds, I'll probably roll back volume on guitar

To be accurate, these are initializations. An acronym spells a word. GAS is an acronym; FRFR is an initialization. :geek

Back
Top Bottom