FAS 6160 and PVH 6160 are....different.

I've been using the FAS 6160 for the last week. It's kind of hot, but not hot enough without a pedal in front (I have by default been using the T808, as I like it's tone the best for high gain).

I hadn't even noticed the PVH 6160. It's (I think) just hot enough by itself. Throw a box in front of it, and the tone jumps down a hole.

What is your experience?

I used the PVH for a while and then moved onto the FAS and I wasnt a fan of it in comparison. But now that the 5153 is in there, why bother with any of them?!

I've been using the FAS 6160 for the last week. It's kind of hot, but not hot enough without a pedal in front (I have by default been using the T808, as I like it's tone the best for high gain).

I hadn't even noticed the PVH 6160. It's (I think) just hot enough by itself. Throw a box in front of it, and the tone jumps down a hole.

What is your experience?

This FAS 6160 is a modded 5150:

"Based on: Peavey EVH 5150, alternative version of PVH 6160 model, more open and less fizzy than the original amp. Also, a virtual choke has replaced the resistor found on the original’s power supply filter. This results in a bouncier feel."

the EVH5150 is awesome... seriously gainy.. and smoother too after FAS re-modled it in 6.2 [I think]..
I don't think it needs a drive pedal in front.. I like it just as it is..

if you want more dirt that is smoother still try the 5153Red
don't be shy of switching on the boost / saturation / bright switches either all together or in combinations..

Note: If your I/O Menu INPUT 1 setting is Stereo (and not LEFT) and the default AMP Block input setting is still L+R you`ll loose 3db Input Gain. Make sure your Input settings are well ... but as Java said ... you`ve compared apples to pears .... ;)

Note: If your I/O Menu INPUT 1 setting is Stereo (and not LEFT) and the default AMP Block input setting is still L+R you`ll loose 3db Input Gain. Make sure your Input settings are well ... but as Java said ... you`ve compared apples to pears .... ;)
funny I never check this; what should the i/o input setting be assuming a mono guitar in the front. Also then what should the amp block input setting be, the same eg. left?; My output is stereo (2 powered cabs) does this make a difference?

It sometimes feels like I'm not hitting the front end hard enough, could this be the aha moment I've been waiting for? will try it out, thanks man.

@Morphosis re: input settings : Ahhh. I would think, though not sure I remember, that input 1 would by default be at 'LEFT' - but I will check this.

This FAS 6160 is a modded 5150:

"Based on: Peavey EVH 5150, alternative version of PVH 6160 model, more open and less fizzy than the original amp. Also, a virtual choke has replaced the resistor found on the original’s power supply filter. This results in a bouncier feel."

Based on, but obviously a lot less pre-amp gain. Which is fine, just saying it's that different.

the EVH5150 is awesome... seriously gainy.. and smoother too after FAS re-modled it in 6.2 [I think]..
I don't think it needs a drive pedal in front.. I like it just as it is..

if you want more dirt that is smoother still try the 5153Red
don't be shy of switching on the boost / saturation / bright switches either all together or in combinations..

So I should just make the leap to 6.2 ?

Back
Top Bottom