Fan running all the time

Another guy here who hasn’t heard a peep from my no-headphone model, other than awesome tonez...........

When I was setting two headphone versions up on my desktop they were kicking the fan on after 20 minutes or so and running constantly.

My unit has just been delivered in France
Non headphone version of course
After about one hour with preset at around 60% CPU, the fan start and never stop
Room temp is about 23c
I share the opinion that it might be linked to the hysteresis
However I must say that the fan noise is really not that enjoying to me but that’si just me
Édit: CPU temp was 34C
I played with a CPU at 80% during first one hour and the fan started only after one hour
To me it is not CPU related but might be wrong

I did some more testing.
In order for the fan to kick in the room temperature would be >23C (75 F). Once the unit temperature reaches 34C and stays there for several minutes or even a couple of hours the fan would kick in. It’s seems the fan would “never” shut off because the ambient temperature is too high for it to bring it down to 31C where it would shut off.

Once I moved it (with the extension cord, not powering it off) to the cool basement eventually the unit fan would drop the temp. to 31C (87 F). It would seat at 31C for few minutes and then the fan would finally shut off.
Power cycling would reset this cycle and the fan can be turedn off at any lower temperature then the trigger point of 35C.
In conclusion it seems the FM3 “thermostat” has a wide swing setting @ approx.4C.
It probably could be changed in future firmware if it is an issue for some of the users.

Last edited:
I'm in a cool 70-72 degree room, with the fm3 alternatively on hard wood floor or tile, and after a while it gets up to 95 degrees and the fans is pretty loud and high pitched. It never turns off for days, no matter what.

Over 2 hours now...no FAN operation. All good
Room Temp 20C
FM3 30C
CPU 75%

EDIT, now switched REV to NORMAL, CPU now 81.4. Will et it run......
EDIT no fan, FM3 temp 87F, all good.

dunno man....I cant replicate that.
According to Fratcal, the FM3 fan starts at 35C and turns off at 30C - the FM3 temp seems to be approximately 10C above room temp. In my room I usually have 24C so the fan starts after 30-40 minutes. With a room temp at 20C you probably will never hear the fan.

Last edited:
I have the fan always on problem too and yesterday I tried putting a laptop cooling platform under the FM3 and it worked.
It's not the best solution but, at least, now I know the problem is in the way the fans are managed by the FM3 and not in the hardware itself.

This fan stuff and the new firmware issues have me worried about my FM3 that I ordered and it shipped today, but then I think, this is FAS and I have faith in this awesome company! Every little thing gonna be alright.

How does the fan performance change with the latest firmware?
It is fixed now. It used to measure ambient temperature and now it measures actual chip temperature. I think they also changed the on/off thresholds. It is much quieter for me now, and I'm not sure I even notice the fan. It used to be distractingly loud.

It's fixed, with firmware 1.05 they changed:
1) The displayed temperature is now the cpu-core temp not the ambient temp as in 1.04.
2) The fan starts spinning at 60C and stops if the temperature drops below 55C

In my room the core temp stays around 45-53C with 25C room-temp, so the fan probably will start only if the ambient room temperature is higher than 33C (~92 Fahrenheit)

Back
Top Bottom