Fan Noise - SHeesh

pauly

Fractal Fanatic
G'day All,

First - I love the Axe FX II - so don't think I'm bashing needlessly.

This evening I got a second unit into the rack which will be good for recording multiple guitars at the same time. Great. One thing however...Now (with 2 Axe FX units on) my rack sounds like an air conditioner! Not good in a single room recording environment.

Fractal - I think a $100 retrofit bracket & 120mm fan spinning slowly will sell at least to at least 40% of your customer base!

Thanks
Pauly

I agree... I bought the fractal (no relation) 60mm fan (mark 1 unit) and did the hair band mod and mine is tolerable. Most people are deaf and cant hear it to begin with.

G'day All,

First - I love the Axe FX II - so don't think I'm bashing needlessly.

This evening I got a second unit into the rack which will be good for recording multiple guitars at the same time. Great. One thing however...Now (with 2 Axe FX units on) my rack sounds like an air conditioner! Not good in a single room recording environment.

Fractal - I think a $100 retrofit bracket & 120mm fan spinning slowly will sell at least to at least 40% of your customer base!

Thanks
Pauly

The fans on newer units are quiet.
You can replace your 60mm if you have a MK I unit easily.
Lots of threads on this.
Good luck!

I've written a number of in depth post about different fan options, from the reversible "hair tie" do a quick and easy way to install a larger (and much quieter) 80mm fan, just do a search

Hi John,

Yes it's quieter however still not quiet - One of the units has an 80 mm fan on standoffs (not on the lid) and it's the quiet of the two - The other may have the 60mm fan - Don't know. Either way - Neither is ok in the studio.

Thanks
Pauly

Today I received the new Axe II lid +80mm fan assembly that I ordered from here:

Parts

Wow! This new fan is so much more quiet than the 60mm fan that came with my Axe II. I had to check twice to verify it was actually working. I can't imagine anyone being dissatisfied with the 80mm fan.

Pauly,

I understand your point. I don't have any experience with what would be acceptable in a studio environment. I guess I had a really loud 60mm fan in comparison to the new one; which made me describe it the way I did. Now it is very comparable to the fan on my laptop. Perhaps I have a loud laptop too :). Good luck with your search for a solution.

John

Can the 80mm fan be installed into a unit that has an existing 60mm? Is there an adapter provided?

Thanks!

Lots of methods for switching to an 80mm fan, for either buying a new lid to making your own mounts with some JB Weld, which actually is super easy to do.

I have my 80mm Noctu fan, mounted using those little silicon plugs the fans come with and it totally isolated any vibration from the lid. So quiet I can't even hear it and it keeps the unit cooler than the stock 60mm

If you can hear your fans, there has just been a tight stop in the song, and rather than silence before the next note, a faint whir is intermingled with the reverb indicating the drum overheads are in fact very sensitive microphones.

:-(
Pauly

Or we play guitar at such a level that it makes no difference.

If you can hear your fan, you aren't playing loud enough.

Lots of methods for switching to an 80mm fan, for either buying a new lid to making your own mounts with some JB Weld, which actually is super easy to do.
I have my 80mm Noctu fan, mounted using those little silicon plugs the fans come with and it totally isolated any vibration from the lid. So quiet I can't even hear it and it keeps the unit cooler than the stock 60mm
Hi, I see 11 models listed on Amazon. Which model did you use? Amazon.com: 80mm fan noctua

Back
Top Bottom