Fan Noise coming from Axe?

Devan

Hello!

Just got the Axe FX III in the mail today, it’s been freakin awesome, haven’t eaten all day. ;)

However, was wondering if the Axe is supposed to produce quiet but noticeable from close-up fan noise from the unit itself? Getting a decent hum from the box (not talking about 60 Hz hum, and it goes away when the Axe is turned off), just want to make sure that nothing was jostled around too much from shipping.

If it’s normal, that’s fine, I’ll move it to another part or my desk so I don’t hear it as much. Just want to make sure it’s not out of the ordinary...

Thanks!

Devan

I understand this to be normal. My unit makes a quiet fan hum when used in a typical indoor room. The newer units have a temperature controlled fan which revs up and down depending on heat to keep unit operating within spec while minimising noise. I don’t know if mine is the newer version that has this, but it is quiet. Is there a way to tell via serial number or something?

Cliff has talked before about needing the unit to operate 100% in both a/c studios and blistering outdoor festival stages in summer so a fan was needed.

Yes unfortunately it's a noisy beast.
The only way I could make it acceptable was replace the fan and mounting for a larger, slower revving unit.
Thanks
Pauly

My fan comes on after about 5 minutes, that’s with non-use and sitting in an air conditioned room. Once it’s on it doesn’t turn off

Thanks for the responses guys!

Glad to know nothing wrong with the unit and that this is normal. Just Amazon Prime’d some longer TRS cables so the unit can be father away from me. Think I’m just too used to having a pretty quiet room!

Wondering if the Axe internal fan curves can be edited? Makes sense that it has a fan in there so it survives all environments, but seems a little strange it would be making noise in a cold room (I guess any type of air movement helps?).

I remember fidgeting with my Hackintosh fan curves and finding a happy medium between good cooling and minimal noise under normal conditions. Things only really start making noise above 60 degrees Celsius; which rarely happens.

Thanks y’all!

Devan

My FX3 is very loud. I hear the fan across the room. I have already contacted the support, but did not hear back from them yet. I loosened the screws a bit already, but that did not seem to be the source of the noise. They were not that tight.
I just ordered a new Noctua 80 mm, 3 Pin Fan with 2200 rpm. I hope this will be sufficient for cooling and quieter ...

This sounds awesome! Curious to see how it helps, please keep us posted. I used 2 Noctua fans for cooling an i9 9900k CPU for a Music Production Hackintosh, and don’t have enough great things to say about those fans, they’re A1!

Back
Top Bottom