Fan noise AxeFx 3 Turbo?

Valgua

Inspired
Hi! I’m considering buying the AxeFx 3 Mk II Turbo (mostly to use the full res IRs) from G66 and I wonder how loud the fan noise will be? I assume that more processing power translates to more heat and therefore a fast spinning fan. I plan to place the unit on my desk, so it would not be too far from my ears.

Depends a lot on placement and ambient noise (e.g how much noise does your computer make). The Axe-Fx does not seem to like being placed at an angle as that will make fan noise more prominent. Flat horizontal or vertical is fine. You can always swap the fan for a quieter one or add an adapter to make it run slower. I use mine with a Noctua fan and low noise adapter that makes it run slower and it’s basically inaudible. I have the non-Turbo though.

Hi @Valgua
I have mine in an open rack right next to me, and a digital desk in front of me. These are the only two units in the studio with a fan, and the fan noise in my (non-turbo) axe fx 3 used to piss me off. I solved the issue by putting a larger fan in which required fabrication of a new mounting plate etc. now it’s still there, but quieter than the mixing desk.

Thanks
Pauly

Hi! I’m considering buying the AxeFx 3 Mk II Turbo (mostly to use the full res IRs) from G66 and I wonder how loud the fan noise will be? I assume that more processing power translates to more heat and therefore a fast spinning fan. I plan to place the unit on my desk, so it would not be too far from my ears.

There is fan noise. Not really much different than the regular AF3. To me it is not really noticeable since you would still have power amp and PC noise.

This makes it super quiet...almost silent at 10cm distance, the original Fan dampers are now on the mounting screws of the plate. This decouples the fan from the FX3 housing.
The picture shows the installation in my FX3 MK1
1659873780724.jpeg

I have a MKII Turbo in a rack beside me with the rest of my outboard gear. It has never been an issue or even a thought. You’ll worry more about a ceiling fan or A/C system long before the fractal fan is a problem.

Now the Ultra model was a whole different thing…. Lol

have had ultra, ax2mk1, ax3mk1 all racked 4ft away in home music room (currently ax2+ax3) - fan noise never an issue. For context - 1u matrix power amp is another story - also racked 4ft away - fan clearly audible. I would tend not to put Axfx on my desk right in front of me though, as then I would likely hear the fan and find it annoying (+ no need to have it that close with AxeEdit in use)

I have the Turbo.

The fan is obviously audible, but 30cm from the unit, when I play at regular volume through my studio monitor I basically don’t hear it.

I haven't noticed any difference in fan noise between my Mk1 AxeFx III or the Mk2 Turbo.

Faster processing doesn't necessarily mean more heat. The faster chip could also be more efficient due to manufacturing improvements (smaller process size, lower internal voltages, etc). It also may just not get that hot to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom