FAMC LF+ with Axe-Fx II - Quick Start Guide and Template:

Thanks! One quick follow-up. So in the interim before I get a 7 pin MIDI cable, can I just plud the wall wart directly into the LF unit and use a standard 5 pin MIDI cable to connect between the LF (MIDI out) and Axe FX (MIDI in) without damaging either unit AND have 2 way communication?

Yes!

Thanks! One quick follow-up. So in the interim before I get a 7 pin MIDI cable, can I just plud the wall wart directly into the LF unit and use a standard 5 pin MIDI cable to connect between the LF (MIDI out) and Axe FX (MIDI in) without damaging either unit AND have 2 way communication?

Yes. A long time ago, you needed to connect 2 cables between the units for 2-way communication, but if you do that now, you'll get an endless circle of swirling MIDI confusion - so don't do it.

One thing to note about using 7-pin MIDI cables and the power supply in your rack and being conveyed through that port on the back of any midi device, such as the Axe, is that the max distance of a 7-pin, carrying power through it, is about 30 feet. It is hard to find 7-pins that are longer, but I have seen 50 footers, and of course if you made the cable yourself, you could make it much longer than 30 feet. BUT DON'T do that!!! The power supply voltage drops too much through long cable runs, and you won't be giving your LF enough juice to power it properly.

So, if you must run a midi cable that is longer than 30 feet, you should switch to the method you asked about above - use a standard 5 pin MIDI cable, and connect your power supply directly into the midi pedal at your feet. You'll hear conflicting stats, but MIDI can run at least 100 feet and still work. I've seen 300 feet, 1000 feet, but even a top notch touring group isn't going to be more than 100 feet from their rigs, because a lot of that stuff is beneath an elevated platform stage.

UGH - I CANNOT get the driver to load on my JR+ under Windows 8.1. Has anyone else had this problem?

Figured this out - It's sn UNSIGNED driver so I had to change my Windows 8.1 bootup settings to accept installation of unsigned drivers. A hassle but it works now. Now I just have to figure out how the hell to problem this thing because the manual totally sucks and the videos do NOT start from a newbie level.

Figured this out - It's sn UNSIGNED driver so I had to change my Windows 8.1 bootup settings to accept installation of unsigned drivers. A hassle but it works now. Now I just have to figure out how the hell to problem this thing because the manual totally sucks and the videos do NOT start from a newbie level.

Try running through the guide and give feedback of what is not clear from the new user perspective. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I just receive this and been through the whole (extremely terrible and confusing) manual and some videos but still somewhat confused. I do understand MIDI CC# triggering and what can be controlled on the Axe Fx itself pretty well. What I'm confused about is more conceptual on the LF Jr+ - the relationship between pages, buttons, presets, IA slots, songs, set-lists and functions. I've studied page 7 on the manual but still pretty confused. I think this is KEY to understanding the JR+. Note that it woyld GREATLY help if this manual as presented from the perspective of the software editor.

So here's what I DO understand. Let's start with a PAGE. I know a page is basically a layout of 60 virtual buttons, only 8 or which actually exist physically on the Jr+. Each button can perform two "functions" depending how on it is pressed (single click, double click, long press). Only the first 8 buttons on the page can be used on the JR+ without using an extention module, I assume. However, different "pages" can be set up with those 8 buttons perform 2 completely different functions from what they perform on other pages, and pages can be switch to via one of the button's functions on the first page and then back or forward to different other pages using the same logic. I think this is all correct, but from here I get lost.

So let's go to the "functions" that can be assigned to each button. The manual says they can be "presets", "IA slots" or special commands. Let's ignore "special commands" for the moment. What is meant by a "preset" - is this simply a preset (i.e. "patch") on the controlled device or something different? The manual says there are 384 presets with "20 command and many parameters". Not sure what the latter means.

So let's start with someone explaning to me the concept of "preset" in the JR+ before I move on to IA slots and other things. I'm just trying to take things in pieces. :)

Tony

So I just receive this and been through the whole (extremely terrible and confusing) manual and some videos but still somewhat confused. I do understand MIDI CC# triggering and what can be controlled on the Axe Fx itself pretty well. What I'm confused about is more conceptual on the LF Jr+ - the relationship between pages, buttons, presets, IA slots, songs, set-lists and functions. I've studied page 7 on the manual but still pretty confused. I think this is KEY to understanding the JR+. Note that it woyld GREATLY help if this manual as presented from the perspective of the software editor.

So here's what I DO understand. Let's start with a PAGE. I know a page is basically a layout of 60 virtual buttons, only 8 or which actually exist physically on the Jr+. Each button can perform two "functions" depending how on it is pressed (single click, double click, long press). Only the first 8 buttons on the page can be used on the JR+ without using an extention module, I assume. However, different "pages" can be set up with those 8 buttons perform 2 completely different functions from what they perform on other pages, and pages can be switch to via one of the button's functions on the first page and then back or forward to different other pages using the same logic. I think this is all correct, but from here I get lost.

Yes, this is all correct.

I am using two pages currently - one page with my 8 switches dedicated as follows:

1 for bank up
1 for bank down
5 switches dedicated to presets (patches on the AxeFX)
1 to take me to page two.

Page two is set up as follows:

1 switch for tuner on/off
6 IA switches
1 switch to take be back to page 1

So, on page 1 I can scroll through the presets (patches on the AxeII) and select the one I want. Once I'm there, I go to page 2 to access IA on/off functions.

So let's go to the "functions" that can be assigned to each button. The manual says they can be "presets", "IA slots" or special commands. Let's ignore "special commands" for the moment. What is meant by a "preset" - is this simply a preset (i.e. "patch") on the controlled device or something different? The manual says there are 384 presets with "20 command and many parameters". Not sure what the latter means.

So let's start with someone explaning to me the concept of "preset" in the JR+ before I move on to IA slots and other things. I'm just trying to take things in pieces. :)

Tony

Yes, a preset on the JR+ is used to select a patch on the AxeII.

Each preset can have a unique series of commands assigned to it. For example, I had a preset configured so that the first click selects the patch on the AxeII. The second click sends a midi command to change the AxeII preset to Scene 1, a third click Scene 2, etc... You can get pretty fancy with the functions.

Each IA Slot in the JR+ can also have multiple custom commands assigned... best to hold off on that until you get selecting presets working and toggling on/off effects using IA switches working.

Last edited:
AWESOME! I think I get that.

Questions before moving on to IA Slots: Is the screen shot to the RIGHT the PAGE editor or the PRESET editor? I see the sequences of steps calling each of the 4 scenes through CC#34 so I assume that only relats to the PRESET and not the page. But if this is the Preset editor, what relevance do the buttons have at the bottom since they can only be assigned to a PAGE?

AWESOME! I think I get that. Questions before moving on to IA Slots: Is the screen shot to the RIGHT the PAGE editor or the PRESET editor? I see the sequences of steps calling each of the 4 scenes through CC#34 so I assume that only relats to the PRESET and not the page. But if this is the Preset editor, what relevance do the buttons have at the bottom since they can only be assigned to a PAGE?

The one on the left is an IA slot.

The one on the right is the Preset editor.

Yes, the sequence of steps only applies to that preset. I actually don't like doing it at the preset level and don't recommend doing it that way. I only showed that as an example of assigning steps and it was just something I was experimenting with at one time. I would prefer to set up an IA switch to step through scenes, and I did try it at the IA switch level, but I was not able to get it working.

The buttons on the bottom of the Preset editor page represent the on/off status of IA switches. I don't set those. I have it set so that the LF+ defaults to the on/off status of each effects block as it was stored with the patch in the AxeII. So that way if I edit a patch to turn on or off an effect, or even add a new effect block to the preset in the AxeII, the LF+ will automatically synchronize to the effects that are present in each patch in the AxeII.

I can give you a screen capture of my two Pages later when I'm back at my computer, if you want.

And these are just examples of one way to do things. I don't consider myself an expert at this yet and there may be better ways to set thing up.

Thanks again for your help on all of this. I'm not trying to set things up like you do but rather trying to understand the concepts and then seeing how that relates to the me!hanics in the editor. :)

So let's talk IA slots. I get that these represent on a basic level the states of the effects blocks. The screen shot that you show is just one of the 60 IA slots. So each "slot" can be loaded I assume which each type of BLOCK on the Axe FX, like Drive 1, Drive 2, Amp 1, etc. I assume that this is just a container for simply turning these "blocks" on or off in the "preset" via CC#45, as I can see from your sceeen shot. So I believe the IA Slot itself (what it contains) is GLOBAL for all presets, but the IA Slot STATE is unique to a preset. Is this true? So how does the IA Slot state get connected to the preset - by the buttons below the PRESET editor screen? I tink that's it, but I assume you can sync these to the Axe FX states per prest, as you indicated below.

And what are the 4 STEPS used for in each of the IA Slots?

Thanks again for your help on all of this. I'm not trying to set things up like you do but rather trying to understand the concepts and then seeing how that relates to the me!hanics in the editor. :)

So let's talk IA slots. I get that these represent on a basic level the states of the effects blocks. The screen shot that you show is just one of the 60 IA slots.

Actually, there's 180 slots - 60 of them can be assigned to a preset - but yes, that is just one of 180.

So each "slot" can be loaded I assume which each type of BLOCK on the Axe FX, like Drive 1, Drive 2, Amp 1, etc. I assume that this is just a container for simply turning these "blocks" on or off in the "preset" via CC#45, as I can see from your sceeen shot. So I believe the IA Slot itself (what it contains) is GLOBAL for all presets, but the IA Slot STATE is unique to a preset. Is this true?

You got it.

So how does the IA Slot state get connected to the preset - by the buttons below the PRESET editor screen? I tink that's it, but I assume you can sync these to the Axe FX states per prest, as you indicated below.

In the LF+ Editor, there is an IA Map page. On this page, you tell the LF+ which of the 180 IA Slots you wish include in the 60 that can be accessed from a preset. You can set up multiple IA Map pages and then at the preset page you will see the IA-Slot Map parameter that allows you to select which IA Map is used for that preset. So, that is what will establish what each of the 60 buttons is used to access. Then, the actual on/off state of the IA Slots can be either established manually in the LF+ preset, or if can be configured to query the AxeII to get the status from the AxeII. I have it set up to query the AxeII using the External Device Sync Items on the Global 2 page.

And what are the 4 STEPS used for in each of the IA Slots?

There's a list of about 45 commands that can be configured here - it's a drop down list in the editor. One of the commands is a Step command that can be used to program different functions for each subsequent press of the IA switch button. So, going back to my four steps that I show on the screen capture of the Preset, there is an initial command to select the patch in the AxeII and then a Step command. When the button is pushed, it runs the command to select the preset and then stops at the first Step command. The next press of the switch will pick up from where it stopped and run commands until another Step command is encountered. Each step command can be given a name instead of the generic Step 1, Step 2, etc... So, the green boxes to the right are used to enter a custom command name for the steps. This works the same on a IA Slot or on a Preset - or at least that is my understanding. Like I said earlier, I tried programming steps on an IA slop for switching scenes but was not able to get it to work. I did get it to work at the Preset level as shown in the example above.

I completely understand everything you are sayig, which is AWESOME. I've been following along with this map of the editor as I am not in front of my home computer at the moment:

Liquid-Foot +

When I get home I will experient with all of this and then follow-up with any questions and maybe go on to things like page swithing, songs and set-lists.

THANKS AGAIN!!

I have no experience with songs or set lists.

Page changes are easy. On the Page editing page, I made two pages - one named "Main" and one named "Effects". The Page is where you will assign functions to the 8 actual physical buttons on the LF+ Jr+. And then by changing pages, you can gain access to more functions.

On the IA-Slot page, I assigned slot 40 with a Function of Change Page, and I tell it to go to Page (01) Main. Slot 41 is assigned to go to page (02) Effects.

Then back on the Page editing page, which is where you assign the functions to the LF+ physical buttons, I have button 8 on the Main page to IA slot 41 to go to the effects page, and button 8 on the Effects page to call IA 40 to go to the main page. You could actually do it with one IA Slot and steps instead of two IA slots, but with 180 IA slots available, and access to 60 at a time, you probably won't need to worry about having multiple IA Slots set up for different pages.

I also have a third page set up for the looper, but I'm currently not using it.

Glad to be of help, and hopefully others will find this thread useful. It sure was a pain to figure it out!

I posted a comment earlier, but I'll repeat it here: Write down all the stuff you need to control. Most of that will be simple on/off for various effects, or for your channel switching amp, if you have one, (both of which are controlled with Continuous Controller messages or "CC" messages), and the patch changes for your rack gear, known as PROGRAM CHANGE or "PC" commands in midi-speak.

The CC messages you want to send to turn effects off and on, are your IA slots. IA stands for instant access. So, you can program a bunch of things you want to turn on and off - distortion, chorus, delay, reverb, amp channel switching, as an IA slot, and then you assign a button on the foot controller to instantly turn that effect on or off. But wait, there's more.....

You sometimes need to turn many effects from off or on, or on to off all at the same instant, but you only have 1 foot. For this, you need a Liquid Foot PRESET. With a preset, you can instantly dictate 60 IA slots, and 20 lines of other types of midi messages, in a split second. hence, a "liquid foot". You would need 60-80 feet with the changes/control that one liquid foot preset provides to you with the push of one button.

Songs: Is a group of liquid foot presets. So, if I have programmed 20 IA slots to turn effects off and on, and I know a song has a verse, chorus, bridge, and solo, I can create 4 liquid foot presets, specifically designed to turn the right effects off and on for each passage of the song, so I'm only pushing one button, but I'm channel switching my amp, or changing presets on a piece of rack gear (by entering a PC command in one of the 20 lines of programming a preset can also trigger), or turning on 15 effects, and turning off 5 ----in the blink of an eye. So I make my 4 presets, and a make a song file. I give the song a name. I then click in the song preset slots and drop my 4 presets into the song, in the correct order.

PAGE: My pedal board configuration...."what buttons do I want to have at my disposal?" I want a couple of liquid foot presets, I want a couple of Instant access to common stuff, like Distortion, or delay, or boost. And I want special function buttons - song up/song down, page jump. (page jump - I only own an 8 button or 12 button device, but I imagine in my mind I own a 48 button device....I can create multiple pages, and jump, jump, jump to pretend I have a huge pedal board at my feet, each page having unique properties, that would have been impossible to fit on my first page, if that was all I had to work with, then I can jump back to reality, to my first page, to do basic stuff)

Set list: I've built song specific presets, and I created song files, and dropped those presets into the right songs. Now I have 40 songs. We are playing a gig this weekend and only have 45 minutes, so we're playing only 10 songs - I can create a set list with those 10. One of the songs has a high part, and on gig day, if my singer is not feeling it, he boots that song out of the set list, and inserts one of his favorites at the last minute. So I can create an alternate set list, in anticipation of him being lame. I can switch between the primary and alternate set lists, on gig day sound check, in 20 seconds, without using a computer - I can just scroll through the sets I've made and pick one.

NOTE: You dictate which performance mode your pedal is operating in. Which ever mode you pick, is the mode it will remain in, every time you turn it on, unless you pick another mode. If you create songs, and setlists, but you keep running your pedal in PRESET mode, you'll NEVER EVER EVER EVER see your songs, or set lists. It took me awhile to realize why you can program function buttons called "preset up/preset down", "song up/song down" or "context up/context down". I always used set list mode. So I choose a set, and song 1 in that set loads. My page has a song up/song down button on button 9. One day I was messing around and put my pedal into preset mode, just to see what it would do. I stepped on button 9, expecting it to cycle to the next preset bank. but it didn't do anything. I wasn't in a song, and I was asking it to take me to the next song...it just sat there saying "WTF, dude?" LOL, not really, but if I would have used "context up/context down" in my page programming, that button would do the expected thing of "banking up/banking down" regardless of whether I was in PRESET MODE or SONG MODE. Just a little heads up.

Thanks rodzimgutar68.

From what I read above and in reading the entire manual and watching all the current videos, I think I'm 90% there to understanding almost everything. Something definitely clicked in my head the last day (in a good way :lol ).

Of course, as soon as that happened and I was actually ready to TRY stuff, I tried to upgrade everything to the current version 3.0. Firmware loaded fine, but I'm having significant issues with getting the new drivers loaded in Windows 8.1 and now the editor can't connect to the hardware. UGH!! Got a ticket in with FAMC but so far nothing they suggested worked. :-x And no way I'm programming this from the hardware unit itself. :nightmare:

Tony

They had to repost a fixed mac version this morning. So anyone that downloaded yesterday, needs to redownload another copy. Even though they have the same name and hyperlink, the mac inside the zip will be "newer" than yesterday's.

Not sure about windows. I didnt realize anyone was still using those things. ;)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Has anyone figured out how to use the new looper control mode? My unit had to be sent in for service, bad foot switch, so I can't test it out currently. How does it work and what do you need to do to set it up? The release notes are a little unclear to me.

Set list: I've built song specific presets, and I created song files, and dropped those presets into the right songs. Now I have 40 songs. We are playing a gig this weekend and only have 45 minutes, so we're playing only 10 songs - I can create a set list with those 10. One of the songs has a high part, and on gig day, if my singer is not feeling it, he boots that song out of the set list, and inserts one of his favorites at the last minute. So I can create an alternate set list, in anticipation of him being lame. I can switch between the primary and alternate set lists, on gig day sound check, in 20 seconds, without using a computer - I can just scroll through the sets I've made and pick one.

NOTE: You dictate which performance mode your pedal is operating in. Which ever mode you pick, is the mode it will remain in, every time you turn it on, unless you pick another mode. If you create songs, and setlists, but you keep running your pedal in PRESET mode, you'll NEVER EVER EVER EVER see your songs, or set lists. It took me awhile to realize why you can program function buttons called "preset up/preset down", "song up/song down" or "context up/context down". I always used set list mode. So I choose a set, and song 1 in that set loads. My page has a song up/song down button on button 9. One day I was messing around and put my pedal into preset mode, just to see what it would do. I stepped on button 9, expecting it to cycle to the next preset bank. but it didn't do anything. I wasn't in a song, and I was asking it to take me to the next song...it just sat there saying "WTF, dude?" LOL, not really, but if I would have used "context up/context down" in my page programming, that button would do the expected thing of "banking up/banking down" regardless of whether I was in PRESET MODE or SONG MODE. Just a little heads up.

I'm having trouble conceiving why anyone would use "SONG" mode instead of "SET-LIST" mode. As I understand it, the real reason to be in ANY mode other that "preset" mode is so that ultimately you can sequence your presets in a different order. Otherwise, you can just use the dedicated "song up / down" and "setlist up /down" functions assigned to button in preset mode. So if that's the case, you need a way to sequene through songs and presets whether in song OR set-list mode. I do understand that if song mode just sequences the song in numeric order and set-list mode sequences the songs from in set-list order. However, set-list order can be numeric, so those two functions seem redundant, especially since ultimately BOTH are just trying to get you to the right PRESET order for a song as the end goal.

So what am I mising?

Also, I'm trying to figure out how to select presets on my "set-list" page. I obviously need the song up / song down functions. Put do I use "preset / up and prest down set to trigger on scroll or bank up / bank down and then put presets on the page? Will bank up / down scroll through presets in current song order - i.e. if I put the first three of 6 song presets on the page, will a bank up take me to the next 3 presets in the song list order?

Tony

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom