FAMC LF+ JR+ Problems

vaultnaemsae

Inspired
Hi All,

I've read the wiki doc for LF+Axe-FX setup (more than several times!) and the writer(s) seem to be really knowledgeable about the device. First up, Thanks to GotMetalBoy for writing the wiki. I'm sure many LF users wouldn't have had any luck learning it without his efforts. Also this thread was extremely helpful in gaining understanding of the LF+ - a big thanks to AZG and contributors:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/famc-lf-with-axe-fx-ii-quick-start-guide-and-template.85031/

I've been playing around with this JR+ on and off for months now (in between bouts of frustration!) and hadn't been able to get anything much to work how I wanted. However last weekend, between the wiki entry and looking at other people's sysex files I've had a bit of a breakthrough as to how things really work in LF land. I've managed to get an operational multi-page system working now but I still have a few points of confusion and I'm wondering if anybody would be prepared to assist.

I'm using a model which is very similar to AZG's template but have made certain modifications to suit my needs & tastes. Playing mostly improvised music I don't really think that Preset and Song modes are all that useful for me and have mainly focused on Pages. I've followed various instructions and the LF has the names of my AXE presets in memory. The real-time sync is mostly reliable but occasionally some strange things happen that I can't explain. Occasionally names disappear or get replaced with weird stuff...

My JR+ is accompanied by a Mission Expression Pedal with dual expression outputs (the switch changes between OUT 1 and 2), a mini Expression Pedal and an as yet unconnected Boss FS-7 (I don't know how to wire it yet to make it have both switches work with the LF+). Ideally I'd like to keep as many exp pedals off the floor as possible though; just one would be ideal.

My Pages:
1. SELECTION PAGE - default launch PAGE where all pages can be chosen (PRESET, SCENE, FX 1, FX 2, LOOPER, along with TEMPO, TUNER & 1 vacant button.
2. PRESET - BANK UP, BANK DOWN, 4 x PRESET, TAP TEMPO & PAGE CHANGE Button (4 buttons with double function enable flipping to SCENE, FX 1, FX 2 & LOOPER)
3. SCENE - PRESET UP, PRESET DOWN, 4 x SCENE, TAP TEMPO & PAGE CHANGE Button (4 buttons with double function enable flipping to PRESET, FX 1, FX 2 & LOOPER)
4/5. FX 1 & 2 - Two pages that have many IAs in place to manage the switching ON/OFF of FX, along with second functions to return to the SELECTION PAGE and others. I think of these pages like a hot-rodded version of MANUAL mode on my old Boss GT8.
6. LOOPER - a dedicated Looper page that also enables flipping between pages (yet to be properly tested).

Questions:
1. How can I program a Reverb/Delay hold button (like FREEZE) either on one of the FX PAGES or on the SELECTION PAGE?
2. How can I program a button to change the functions of the Exp Pedals (i.e. Wah, Whammy, Delay level, Input Vol, Output Vol)? These could be divided across 2-3 exp peds if necessary...but it would be more convenient to figure out how to do it with only one. Pedal controllable effects are generally assigned to EXT CTR 1 or 2 which are connected with CC16/CC17 in my AXE 2.
3. How can I have the LF respond to any manual changes I make to the AXE-FX in real time?
4.I also have an LF+ MINI that I've looked at selling but figure if there might be a way to get it to display the page names when it switches pages I might keep it as a back up. The Backlit LCDs are quite nice to have - like training wheels; The MINI is a great size but a little less user friendly. Is there a way to optimize the LF display to aid in Page recognition?
5. Sometimes it seems like the AXE gets hijacked by the LF. I know there must be something I've done incorrectly in the settings but not sure where to start looking. How do I make sure that the LF doesnt change IA states of the AXE's presets when I launch them?
6. How does one wire the Boss FS-7 so both switches will work as external controllers from one cable?

I realize this is a lot of info to ask for help on. If anybody is knowledgeable enough and interested in giving me a Skype/Facetime consultation I'd be willing to reimburse you for your time as you deem fit. I don't really want to waste any more weeks or month with this thing not working as I need it to. Please contact me if interested.

I've attached [UPDATED] my .syx file for anybody interested in checking it out.

Cheers,
Luke

Attachments

• LF JR WORK IN PROGRESS.syx
    435.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I'm at work right now but I can take a look at your syx file later tonight or tomorrow.

I need to update the Wiki because there's a bug in the LF+ Editor when you enable Preset Offset, so it will sometimes change the Program Change Number (PC#). The bug usually happens when you copy/paste a preset or save a syx file and then open it in the LF+ Editor. FAMC was supposed to fix it a while ago and I've submitted tickets for it but they're a small company and take a very long time to resolve issues.

The workaround is below and it just Disables Preset Offset which is the default setting, So the Axe-Fx II's first preset will show as 000. If Preset Offset is Enabled, then the first preset would be 001.

On Axe-Fx II:
* Press I/O > Page Right to the MIDI page:
** DISPLAY OFFSET: 0 (This is the Default)

In LF+ Editor:
* Click Settings tab > Main Global Settings
** Under MIDI Channel Device Configuration:
*** Disable +1 so it's Red (This is the Default)

Hi GotMetalBoy,

Yes, I had a thing happen like that where all my preset numbers got moved out by 1 or 2 steps. 1 became 756 or something like that...I had to correct some manually and also did basically what you referred to above. It worked. I think it happened when I was doing the external device sync procedure but seems fine now.

I think I've almost figured out the ext pedal function toggle thing. I feel close right now...

Dare I say, reading the LF manual is a brutal experience. Look forward to any further input you may have when time permits :) thanks!

Back
Top Bottom