Falling in love with Looper block!

80sMetalDude

Inspired
I just have to share that the Looper has become my default first block in all my new presets as a tool for dialing in the tone I'm after for a song.

Without it I don't think I would have learned as much as I have in only several weeks. Now I can punch through a backing track and be heard clearly.

I never realized how much work went into getting a tone to work in a mix but the Looper has been so awesome! Hit Record and jam a bit of the song then play that and fire up the backing track while Looper is going and start working on the tone until it fits well. This has been awesome! Pisses my wife off hearing the same part blaring from man cave but she's very supportive of my addiction.

Love my AX8 more every day I use it.

Pisses my wife off hearing the same part blaring from man cave but she's very supportive of my addiction.

Ha, story of my life. Unless I'm tweaking I'm always blasting via the headphones nowadays.

On the upside, I've gotten really good at tweaking via headphones as a result (just have to remember which frequencies are more pronounced via headphones). I fine tune the patches when she's out of the house and i'm able to blast it, or during rehearsals/sound checks.

Imagine playing the opening riffs to blackened for like 3 weeks straight trying to get in time with the song and then doing loops of that! LOL Probably like water torture for her.

Imagine playing the opening riffs to blackened for like 3 weeks straight trying to get in time with the song and then doing loops of that! LOL Probably like water torture for her.

My old office/practice space/mancave is now my son's room, so my wife listens to me playing the same lick over and over...but without context since I'm playing through headphones. I don't think it's any better to be honest. Lol.

Thanks for the Tip......

Wifey pissed me off once so I cranked up a fuzz pedal .....and redundantly plucked the same three notes.....for about an hour! :rage:

Been doing this for a while. I cant think of a better way to dial in a tone. Allows you to concentrate on one thing at a time!

Whats about the looper quantize? it really works?
The looper block won't quantize as far as I know, but you can trigger it via midi messages so that it stays in sync with a click track. I just did this for a live video my band did for the tiny desk contest. I set up a midi track in protools, connected to the ax8 via usb, used two midi CC messages only: start recording and start playback. worked like a charm, I clicked the playback off manually at the end of the song. here's the result:

It works. Only the number of beats is somewhat limited (max 16).
Really??

I never knew about this feature. Does it quantize after the fact i assume? (could've used it for that video above, we had several false starts due to my, ahem, less-than-tight percussion playing.)

It just uses the preset tempo and calculates the loop length from the tempo and number of beats. This means recording will stop at t+x msec after you started recording. I usually have it set to Autoplay after recording stops.

Ah, got it. So if i'm triggering it with external midi CC commands, I need to make sure my internal tempo is the same as what CCs start and stop messages would indicate. Alternatively, if the AX8 could ouptut a click based on the internal tempo, that'd work too.

Man, this thing is deep

I use the looper while playing backing tracks in Logic. As the only guitarist, I grab a section to loop during the performance using midi commands. Then I trigger the playback (once—so it stops automatically) and solo over it. Works like a charm.

Back
Top Bottom