"Faking" an Andy Summers Roland GR-300 sound? =D

One of my favorite Police songs, Secret Journey, has this AWESOME Roland GR-300 guitar synth intro, middle section, and ending. Here's the song (forgive the talking dude at the beginning...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T88BAjhnSG0

I know the Axe-FX (at the moment) only has monophonic synth capabilities, but I'm thinking this tone can be attained WITHOUT even using the synth block or the like.

I believe he has a harmony set to 5ths above the played note (something the Axe-FX can do with a harmonizer), it sounds like a filter effect is going on for sure (FILTER, another thing the Axe-FX can do), got some big reverb (duh...), and he's probably using the Hexa-Fuzz on the synth as well. Seems to me there is some kind of way to get that Hexa-Fuzz tone on the Axe-FX by using a Fuzz or some kind of thing to dirty up the sound. Maybe also a volume pedal to swell in the sound?

I think the trick to really making this tone happen would be in the filter block MUCH like many have done with the "Mysterious Ways" tone from The Edge. And there's where I need some help. I can figure out all the other stuff that I think goes in to this patch including mimicking the Hexa-Fuzz, but I'm a bit of a noob with the filter block.

Any ideas or has anyone tried to cop this tone yet? There's GOTTA be a way to do it without a synth!

Thanks dudes,
Shane Jr.

Bumping up an ancient thread because I am trying to figure out what to do in this part of the song....anyone have some ideas? I have tried some synths as well as crystals etc, but not too happy yet.

I see in 2008 he relied on the Eclipse for this part - so perhaps I will just do something like that.

Back
Top Bottom