Fair Warning.....

Yikes! That Diver Down album cover still pisses me off. I just seem to have an immediate allergic reaction to it.

Still VH. Still Eddie. But that entire album has a phoned in vibe that just bugs the shit out of me.

Probably just me, though. ;)
Well, it’s the naval flag signaling that….. there is a diver down……… Ugly yes, but kinda appropriate……

Yikes! That Diver Down album cover still pisses me off. I just seem to have an immediate allergic reaction to it.

Still VH. Still Eddie. But that entire album has a phoned in vibe that just bugs the shit out of me.

Probably just me, though. ;)
I love DD! The clarinet solo is yet more proof you can use any instrument on a RnR song and make it work, the covers have VH's own take on them, and Little Guitars & Cathedral are just more of Eddie pushing his playing into new areas. Yes, it should've had more original songs on it, but thankfully Eddie made them his own.
In fact, I love all the DLR-era VH. They may have first had a #1 album with Sammy (or whatever it was), but the songs started getting way to poppy for me, and the aggression and innovation started to wane, is what I noticed.

As someone who doesn't remember what I did yesterday , I remember where I was when first bought and listened to this album,. To this day it is the only album I took the needle off after 30 seconds and replayed it as the Mean Street intro was unlike anything I'd ever heard before. And this from the guy who gave us the other "Where Were You When you heard" moment in Eruption. I love this album and the Push Comes to Shove solo is among his best with the Holdsworth influence and that's saying something.

Long Live the King and RIP!!

MM

For me, I love the falling down the stairs solo in One Foot Out the Door. It's such an atmospheric piece only equaled by Crossing Over from the Japanese release of Balance.

Fair Warning to me is the ultimate dark Van Halen album. The bass tones and parts on that album are stunning too.

Back
Top Bottom