Faint noise

Intheband

Inspired
Anyone else have a faint noise, almost like Morse Code? I have swapped out cables, both XLR and 1/4 inch and it doesn’t change. It stops as soon as I unplug th FM9. Thoughts? It would be enough that I would have to power down in between sets.

Do you hear it when the USB from the PC is connected? I have run into this from the USB connection. The microprocessor and associated electronics from a PC or laptop can cause this through a ground loop in the USB cable. If so, pull the USB cable and see if it goes away. The PC can also induce this sound if the FM9 is situated too close to the PC, laptop, phone or iPad.

Is this occurring mostly at home while practicing or during gigs? Home environment might be introducing RFI from electronics in close proximity. During gigs might be a number of different things, ranging from unfiltered power sources to close proximity electronics, to poorly grounded audio.

IIRC, there is a ground lift switch behind the FM9 between Input 1 and the 1st set of XLR outputs. See if that might help.

Is this occurring mostly at home while practicing or during gigs? Home environment might be introducing RFI from electronics in close proximity. During gigs might be a number of different things, ranging from unfiltered power sources to close proximity electronics, to poorly grounded audio.

IIRC, there is a ground lift switch behind the FM9 between Input 1 and the 1st set of XLR outputs. See if that might help.
A ground lift is for ground loop issues, it won't help with EMI...

A ground lift is for ground loop issues, it won't help with EMI...
Of course, though EMI may not be the problem. We've not isolated the problem yet. Again, offering possible solutions and working towards them. It doesn't really help the OP unless you can provide a possible solution.

In my experience morse code tends to be cell phone.

To diagnose the issue you need to track if coming from (or being picked up by) guitar/input, FM9, USB or other. So turn off or remove these elements one by one.

Last edited:
In my experience morse code tends to be cell phone.

To diagnose you need to track if coming from (or being picked up by) guitar/input, FM9, USB or other. So turn off or remove these elements one by one.
Thanks for clearing that up. Happy to hear from folks using the diagnostic method. Should have remembered that works best, then possible solutions could be offered. 👍

Of course, though EMI may not be the problem. We've not isolated the problem yet. Again, offering possible solutions and working towards them. It doesn't really help the OP unless you can provide a possible solution.
I know, but you said "RFI" and then mentioned the ground lift. I guess I read that as you suggesting that would be a fix for that, and I was pointing out that it wasn't. Maybe not the intent of what you were saying?

And for the record, I already posted possible solutions earlier in the thread :)

I know, but you said "RFI" and then mentioned the ground lift. I guess I read that as you suggesting that would be a fix for that, and I was pointing out that it wasn't. Maybe not the intent of what you were saying?

And for the record, I already posted possible solutions earlier in the thread :)
TBH, my concluding words in the post were, “poorly grounded audio,” so there is that. I did read your reply and commendation to Rick. Regards using the ground lift switch, that was connected to my concluding words. It was a suggestion, not a definite answer.

What is more important IMHO is that we diagnose and help try solve the OP’s problem. If we just shoot anti-aircraft rounds into the air, it doesn’t solve the OP’s problem. See what I’m saying?

TBH, my concluding words in the post were, “poorly grounded audio,” so there is that. I did read your reply and commendation to Rick. Regards using the ground lift switch, that was connected to my concluding words. It was a suggestion, not a definite answer.

What is more important IMHO is that we diagnose and help try solve the OP’s problem. If we just shoot anti-aircraft rounds into the air, it doesn’t solve the OP’s problem. See what I’m saying?
Sorry... I did a poor job of reading your post (twice), apparently.

Offering help is always a good thing!

I have a slight background noise on my fm9.
It feels a lot on input 1. When I connect my guitar to input 2 or 3, the noise is more acceptable.

The FM9 is amazing. I like it better than my Quad Cortex. Only these things demotivate me a bit.

Any ideas @Admin M@ ?

Last edited:
The only time I notice noise is when I use my FM9 with a little TC Electronic BAM 200 bass amp I got recently (works pretty well as a power amp for the FM9 into a 12 in bass cab). If they're plugged into different outlets I get a lot of noise. If plugged into the same outlets it's dead quiet. I have a feeling it's mainly do to the TC amp being cheap.

Back
Top Bottom