Failure - TC Mimiq pedal

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
Seeing that thread of Failure and the vid showing how he uses the TC electronics Mimiq pedal really piqued my interest. I have the Axe FX II and today will be picking this pedal up used at local guitar shop. Its the stereo version. I'm pretty sure I know how to incorporate this into my rig. I'd love some guidance to see if my approach is correct.

If my understanding is right this is to be run via the fx send /return on the back of my Axe Fx. So i'll lose output 2 that feeds my audio interface (which is okay for now) i use the other outputs feeding direct to my CLR's. My question here is do i use stereo send/return with this pedal. the whole point ive read for this pedal is its use in stereo rig. so i need to reflect this in my signal chain as i always use stereo cabs...my thinking is that for this to work best to pan the cabs vs having them centered? or will this work like the enhancer block in a way?

In axe edit, i assume i'll need the FX loop block in the chain probably somewhere similar to where i'd put pitch block/detune.

The trick next is how to engage this via my MFC 101. I'll be having the mimiq setup near back of my axe fx. my mfc101 is roughly 10 ft away when i play so i'd like to assign an IA ( i assume) that allows me to engage/bypass the mimiq. The mimiq pedal itself would always be 'on'.

Sound right?

after a day or so messing around with the pedal a few thoughts to share. The effect of this pedal is strikingly similar to what i can get on the Axe by using the haas effect on Detune with the 40/20 ms setting along with enhance /reverb. The effect knob on the Mimiq gives your almost a more flange/chorus effect the higher the setting. Does the pedal add something? definitely. But i find, with my style of playing, i have to be judicious with the amount of reverb/delay/pitch in my preset unless i'm going for those lush rich appreciated chords which is a cool texture.

The signal chain: i've been finding i like it a bit past the modulated effects in the chain. I've gotten used to achieving that unity gain (with output 2 front panel) when the fx loop is bypassed/engaged. note on that - i have the pedal always engaged in my rack and on my MFC 101 I programmed an aux switch to toggle the fx loop. In my preset i put the fx loop off by default as the aux switch i have connected to my MFC does not have bidirectional info. Just easier for me to set it that way.

Enhancer block. i find it almost too much along side the Mimiq pedal but depending what sound you're after its a thing too. I was thinking of programming the enhancer block to the same aux switch to do the opposite of the Mimiq as i like enhancer mode in general but when i kick in the fx loop then turn enhancer block off. Gonna mess with that soon.

I've owned/used Mimiq for some time and concluded (see my posts on other threads) that it makes most sense (for distorted sounds) positioned BEFORE stereo amp blocks panned hard right / left. Mimiq either running mono/1voice on one side only with dry=0 and effect at 90%, OR Mimiq running stereo/2voice running into both sides dry=0 and effect at 90%. Why? - Because Mimiq is trying to do a 2nd guitar player which suggests running the added Mimiq signal to it's own signal path through amp/cab. Most seem to want to put Mimiq after amp/cab - I don't really get that - it will sound ok there as a nice chorusey thing, but, for distorted doubled tones putting mimiq before amps and leeping the pre signals singular and hard panned are what makes this pedal really sound great. Same with enhancer block actually - placed before dual hard panned ams/cabs = joy-bliss. Update your Mimiq to latest firmware in order to avoid phasing issues with stereo operation in earlier firmwares.

I've owned/used Mimiq for some time and concluded (see my posts on other threads) that it makes most sense (for distorted sounds) positioned BEFORE stereo amp blocks panned hard right / left. Mimiq either running mono/1voice on one side only with dry=0 and effect at 90%, OR Mimiq running stereo/2voice running into both sides dry=0 and effect at 90%. Why? - Because Mimiq is trying to do a 2nd guitar player which suggests running the added Mimiq signal to it's own signal path through amp/cab. Most seem to want to put Mimiq after amp/cab - I don't really get that - it will sound ok there as a nice chorusey thing, but, for distorted doubled tones putting mimiq before amps and leeping the pre signals singular and hard panned are what makes this pedal really sound great. Same with enhancer block actually - placed before dual hard panned ams/cabs = joy-bliss. Update your Mimiq to latest firmware in order to avoid phasing issues with stereo operation in earlier firmwares.

Thanks for chiming in. I'll check out these other threads. This is very helpful as i know i'm still not getting the effect I'm expecting and know its a matter of placement. When you say placing it before stereo amp blocks, say for example the cab block yeah? 99% of my presets use stereo cab blocks. Placed inbetween the amp and cab block? if so , would i run mono/1voice as you mentioned? Yesterday i downloaded latest Firmware available. Im also experimenting with dip switch on the back of the pedal for buffered bypass vs true bypass.

derp. I didnt realize there was already an extensive thread on this pedal. Since i'm on legacy product I find i dont' read the Axe III threads nearly as much. Normally, i do a search on stuff before posting.

Last edited:
Before Amp and Cab blocks - so that Mimiq is generating its secondary dry signal before going into a secondary distorted amp block. The key is to "Mimiq" a secondary guitar playing through it's own rig (amp and cab).

so would it be best to connect to fx loop mono in this case? before amp and cab blocks including drive/compression as well? or wonder if you can just go guitar > mimiq > Axe Fx and forgo fx loop
thanks for your input btw

Last edited:
I have it before the unit itself but in the loop works also - worth trying to explore it as a dry signal
doubler - just take care that only one signal goes into each amp panned hard L/R - if you get
more than one voice
going into one distorted amp block you'll know immediately as it will sound god aweful.

Okay after playing around some more and lots of reading I finally see the light. In short the pedal is best in a dual amp/cab situation with everything hard panned. It was only then this pedal shines. The sonic field sounds massive. Enhancer block/haas on steroids. I also put it in mono in the fx loop before the amp and just after drive where it seemed to sound best to my ears. I was really close to returning the pedal earlier today as my previous results were just sounding boxy and metallic. Stereo Stereo Stereo is where this pedal lives.

Back
Top Bottom