Factory presets @ 'gigging' volume?

Lee Servis

Inspired
Hi all,
I'm very soon to take delivery of an FM3 and often read posts regarding making your own presets at gigging volume because of the Fletcher Munson effect, so I was wondering if the FM3's factory presets - which I hear are pretty impressive straight out of the box - are dialled in at "gigging" volume? I appreciate that depending on the venue, music genre, band composition etc., will mean not all people's "gigging" volume is the same, but are the FM3 factory presets already prepped for more of a gig volume setting?
Many thanks in advance to anyone who can be bothered to reply to this thread.

the Factory Presets are good starting points. as you mentioned, everyone's "gigging" volume and situation will be different, so you'll eventually have to adjust things to fit your exact setup.

i'd suggest adjusting the Cab Block's Low and High cuts as needed. go through the presets, see what sounds usable or "good" to you, move them closer together, then adjust those things.

The factory presets work great at volume. As always, adjust them to personal taste.

Chris: in terms of the cabs’ high and low cut adjustments - and again I appreciate people will have their own personal preferences - are there ball park settings? I pretty much play blues and classic rock - nothing too heavy. Thanks again for any advice.

Chris: in terms of the cabs’ high and low cut adjustments - and again I appreciate people will have their own personal preferences - are there ball park settings? I pretty much play blues and classic rock - nothing too heavy. Thanks again for any advice.
it completely depends on what you hear and what gear you use. just turn up the low cut until it sounds right, and turn down the high cut until it sounds right. don't worry about the numbers, just turn it till it sounds like what you need.

if there was a consistent ballpark, i'm sure it would be the default. all that said, generally speaking, i don't adjust them at all for most tones with the latest firmware. sometimes i do, and i make that decision when i hear there's too much low end or high end with my setup.

it's similar to asking "how much salt do i put on this food" because everyone has a different preference.

Fair point(s) Chris. I asked as I’d seen - when reading FX8 forums a while back - quite a few people suggesting similar high and low cut adjustments on Drive blocks. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Fair point(s) Chris. I asked as I’d seen - when reading FX8 forums a while back - quite a few people suggesting similar high and low cut adjustments on Drive blocks. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Drive block low and high cuts are for a specific tone for that drive, i'd say.

the Cab block Low and High cuts are sort of an "overall" EQ, like a master EQ for the entire sound. so that can't easily be suggested.

to make a drive pedal affect the tone in a specific way, sure that could be a general number.:

i showed an example of this during a livestream: start at 1:35:30. it's a livestream where i explain things a bit longer than a quick video, so the explanation goes a bit long:

Aaah... that makes a lot of sense. Really appreciate your time and knowledge sharing. This forum - and the people on it - are a huge help. Thanks again Chris.

Back
Top Bottom