Factory IRs (volume levels)

m lebofsky

Experienced
Do you find the factory IRs to be all of equal volume ?

Example: Assume mono hi-res cabinets in parallel, one hard left, one hard right. I assume changing speaker types (V30, 6", Metal, etc, etc) and speaker type combinations should not effect channel volumes relative to each other. I bring this up because I have seen a few instances where it appears (based on FOH board LED meters, sometimes one side is a little hotter than the other). This is easliy solved a few different ways, but I have not had the time to investigate further.

Anyone ??

Well, here's the thing. The notion of volume on impulse responses is tricky. If you think of them as equalizers it may be a little more intuitive: Say you have impulse 1 which is just a huge boost at 60 Hz. Impulse 2 is a huge boost at 2200 Hz. If you play guitar, impulse 2 is going to sound way lounder than impulse 1. If you play bass, vice versa.

Now, these filters are way more complex than a single band of EQ, but the same concept applies. Depending on the frequencies being put through them, the output of one may be louder than the output of another, and with different frequencies, the opposite may be true. So the "loudness" of the impulse really depends on the guitar you're playing, and probably more importantly the amp [model] that is being filtered through it and the notes being played. It would be this way with a real speaker as well.

If it really bothers you, consider using a compressor after the cabinets with a high threshold and slow attack.

schnarf said:
Well, here's the thing. The notion of volume on impulse responses is tricky. If you think of them as equalizers it may be a little more intuitive: Say you have impulse 1 which is just a huge boost at 60 Hz. Impulse 2 is a huge boost at 2200 Hz. If you play guitar, impulse 2 is going to sound way lounder than impulse 1. If you play bass, vice versa.

Now, these filters are way more complex than a single band of EQ, but the same concept applies. Depending on the frequencies being put through them, the output of one may be louder than the output of another, and with different frequencies, the opposite may be true. So the "loudness" of the impulse really depends on the guitar you're playing, and probably more importantly the amp [model] that is being filtered through it and the notes being played. It would be this way with a real speaker as well.

If it really bothers you, consider using a compressor after the cabinets with a high threshold and slow attack.

Didn't bother me until a couple of FOH sound guys pointed it out via their board LEDs and it was only happening on patches with 2 cabs, but not all patches with 2 cabs.
Bypassing all blocks but the cabs didnt change the results.
I saw the FOH board 1 LED (approx 4dB if memory serves me) consistently louder on one side compared to the other (left vs right) on some patches that had 2 cab bocks.
I think a few factory cabs may just be louder. I'll have to try low/middle/hi registers to see if that has an impact, but I hope that doesnt account for 4 dB
Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom