Facebook is down.

Sunuvabitch. I would not care about this at any other point in time had I not been hooking up a date for tonight earlier in the day.

It's times like these that I chuckle, as I very much look for signs from the Universe (or consciousness or God or Allah or whatever you want to call it) to help navigate life. I was on the fence about going out tonight, just because I've got some pent up stress that I'd prefer to be rid of before meeting someone new, in person. Think I got my answer. :D

Best day for humanity in recent years...:cool:

It looks like a (massive) BGP configuration error is the root cause of those services disappearing completely from the Internet...even their authoritative domain name server ranges have been BGP withdrawn apparently....epic.....I love it.

I've done a few BGP/Internet gateway configurations over the years...yup, you can really get into trouble 'worldwide' if you zigged where you should have zagged whilst doing the config.

Had an errant large ISP carrier downstream 'go nuts' one day via a BGP mis-config which propagated/advertised so many routes it crashed our large Cisco gateway router (filled the entire RAM....and then some heh). Lot's of nodes were affected, big time....gotta watch that stuff man.

In a related topic, I just can't access the forum with my phone. Its shows an ERR_FAILED message and sometimes displays a message about insecure connections and risk of exposing personal data. @Admin M@

I was going to ask, 'It is?', but then realized...I don't care. I quit over a year and a half ago and don't miss it in the slightest.

Find and watch 'The Social Dilemma' on Netflix. If that isn't enough to get people to give up that vortex of stupid called Facebook, I don't know what is.

She's testifying before Congress tomorrow. The FB ball-busting that is long
overdue is likely just starting.
Not sure I trust her motives. She's taking cues from somewhere specific and at times though that testimony advocating for FedGov censorship. Something needs to be done about big tech censorship (and I'm not sure the answer), but I don't think it's using one censorship to curb the others abuse of it is how to combat it. But, I also don't think anything will come of this whole circus. Nothing ever seems to. Noise gets made, solutions notsomuch.

Last edited:
This thread has the possibility of going wildly wrong, but I'll comment anyway.

FB (and other social media outlets,) are part of the problem in our divisive society today. I participate in a limited manner as I can keep various friends and family updated on girls progress. BUT I have posted a few 'opinion' pieces on world affairs since I have quite a bit of experience in that realm.

This is likened to the crazy mirror at a carnival. Facebook would say that they are only holding up a reflection of society, but with some cool twists of code, they know each and every one of us well enough to know that they are fully aware of how to push our buttons. The ugliest parts of that mirror are accented so it’s difficult to see anything else. They manipulate our relationships with each other. The longer, and ESPECIALLY more angry we are, keeps us on the site; enter advertising dollars, enter marketing data sales, etc, etc.

All in the name of shareholder value.

So, yeah, they're all about helping us 'communicate' over vast distances, while cashing in on our differences.

-The Raging Snail.

CODA: I will hope this stays non political, and a discussion of cold opinion rather than devolving into rancor. Yes, I bear some responsibility here, but perhaps I will not have to don the moderator hat?

Back
Top Bottom