F3 button doesn’t send cc midi data

Bruce Sokolovic

Fractal Fanatic
and I’d really love it if it did or if there was some other way to send tempos to other devices. Could this potentially happen in firmware update?

the problem is that most devices don't listen for "tap" data. MIDI handles Tempo in very specific ways. i hear MIDI 2.0 is supposed to improve this.

I have no experience with the H9... But I just checked the manual and it has a tap tempo and can act as a midi beat clock, so you can flip the roles here.

Use the H9 to tap the tempo, and let it keep things synced.

Page 41 of the H9 manual has the details.

84D9E0E3-F9F3-4B13-887A-615976938400.jpeg
I have no experience with the H9... But I just checked the manual and it has a tap tempo and can act as a midi beat clock, so you can flip the roles here.

Use the H9 to tap the tempo, and let it keep things synced.

Page 41 of the H9 manual has the details.
Yes I saw that too. Only problem is it’s out of the way on my board. First world problem. I’m considering this. It’ll solve this as well as provide some alternative switching https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Basilisk--one-control-basilisk-midi-switcher

View attachment 52607
Yes I saw that too. Only problem is it’s out of the way on my board. First world problem. I’m considering this. It’ll solve this as well as provide some alternative switching https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Basilisk--one-control-basilisk-midi-switcher
How would that device solve your problem? As far as I can see it doesn't have a clock.

From the H9 manual, you can connect an aux switch that can be used for tap tempo, so you could just use a dumb, single button switch to do that. Not sure where it would fit on your board, but nowhere near as big as the other device ;)

How would that device solve your problem? As far as I can see it doesn't have a clock.

From the H9 manual, you can connect an aux switch that can be used for tap tempo, so you could just use a dumb, single button switch to do that. Not sure where it would fit on your board, but nowhere near as big as the other device ;)
I’ve never set up an external midi device this way, but was under the impression I can set up a CC # on an external midi device and use it as a tap tempo button. Is this not the case? Otherwise I already have a Y cable and a cheapo boss switch I used to use to toggle the active/bypass button on the H9 already. Seems if I go that route all I need is a midi cable out of it and into the fractal and I should be good to go.

I’ve never set up an external midi device this way, but was under the impression I can set up a CC # on an external midi device and use it as a tap tempo button. Is this not the case? Otherwise I already have a Y cable and a cheapo boss switch I used to use to toggle the active/bypass button on the H9 already. Seems if I go that route all I need is a midi cable out of it and into the fractal and I should be good to go.
Ah, yes you could do that... The H9 seems to support Tap via midi and I'm pretty sure the AX8 does.

I'm not sure how the AX8 passes midi thru, though.

Unless you're going to use it for other stuff, it is probably simpler to use the switch... Definitely less expensive!

Ah, yes you could do that... The H9 seems to support Tap via midi and I'm pretty sure the AX8 does.

I'm not sure how the AX8 passes midi thru, though.

Unless you're going to use it for other stuff, it is probably simpler to use the switch... Definitely less expensive!
If I understand correctly, I wouldn’t need to pass midi thru the AX8 as that command will terminate there. Am I correct? With the Y cable I already have I have a switch I can use and I won’t lose my expression pedal for the H9 either. Shiny new stuff is always more fun though, isn’t it?

If I understand correctly, I wouldn’t need to pass midi thru the AX8 as that command will terminate there. Am I correct? With the Y cable I already have I have a switch I can use and I won’t lose my expression pedal for the H9 either. Shiny new stuff is always more fun though, isn’t it?
How are you planning to send the tap tempo to both devices? Or am I misunderstanding?

What kind of Y cable are you talking about and how would you use it?

If you have an expression pedal going to the H9 then you'd not be able to connect an aux switch...

How are you planning to send the tap tempo to both devices? Or am I misunderstanding?

What kind of Y cable are you talking about and how would you use it?

If you have an expression pedal going to the H9 then you'd not be able to connect an aux switch...
Yea you can Y cable from the H9 and get both a switch and a pedal at the same time. They talk about this in depth over on their forum. I had it working as both expression and a toggle on/off switch so I can’t see why it wouldn’t work as a tap tempo just the same. Was thinking maybe I can tap tempo into the H9 this way and upon the change, have that happen automatically via midi to the fractal? I really don’t see much a difference where the initial button comes from, if either on the H9 or a remote button. Either way the unit is getting tempo change info and ought to send that to the fractal, correct? The Y cable is TRS to 2 mono T/S cables I believe. I’m going to go check on that though.
Checked on that. I was correct but it matters WHICH mono cable goes to the expression and which to the switch You must use a Y-cable with a stereo (TRS) plug on one end (goes to H9) and two mono plugs (TS) on the other end. The TS connecting to the tip of the TRS goes to the expression pedal

Yea you can Y cable from the H9 and get both a switch and a pedal at the same time. They talk about this in depth over on their forum. I had it working as both expression and a toggle on/off switch so I can’t see why it wouldn’t work as a tap tempo just the same. Was thinking maybe I can tap tempo into the H9 this way and upon the change, have that happen automatically via midi to the fractal? I really don’t see much a difference where the initial button comes from, if either on the H9 or a remote button. Either way the unit is getting tempo change info and ought to send that to the fractal, correct? The Y cable is TRS to 2 mono T/S cables I believe. I’m going to go check on that though.
I recall seeing something in the H9 manual about that.

So, yeah, if you can use a Y cable to control both expression and tap, then connect midi out of H9 to midi in of AX8 with midi clock enabled on H9 then I think you're ready to rock.

Back
Top Bottom