F/W 11 Bank A (amps only) ? Poll

Make F/W 11 bank "A" amps only

• YES

Votes: 203 89.4%
  • NO

Votes: 24 10.6%

• Total voters

SoCalJohn

Just thought that I would start a poll to see how many would like bank "A" to be just amps and cut down a little of the less popular patches.

Speaking about factory patches, could we do some kind of a community project to improve some of the factory patches? What I have in mind is some of the "artist" -patches, like "Yngwie", "Petrucci rhythm", "Cliffs of Dover" (that was excellent though in FW10!). For example Tyler Grund has made these super killer SRV patches that are superbly amazingly good, someone here posted an Yngwie patch that is absolutely spot on, chasing Petrucci tones seems to be a favorite hobby for many Axe users (and many have achieved super tones), etc etc.

I'm a bit of a dolt, and had the Ultra with poor results. One of the things I liked about AXE FX II is that fact that it came with already great dialed in patches, that an idiot like me could tweak and get great tone.

How about leaving bank A alone since it has the best patches IMO, and use B or C.

Or better yet, have an Extra Bank X that the user can load IF they want. This way only the guys that are really good at dialing in can just sweep through the amps. Guys like me will still have their baseline.

there are some great new amps in the axe now and i definitely think they should get their own amp+cab preset (like the tryptik for example). another bank of the best user patches as an optional download is a really good idea, although the only problem would be keeping it updated as new firmware gets released. everybody who has patches in that bank would have to be on the ball and submit updates as soon as a new firmware was released.

In my mind, the way I like banks organized, is one for raw amps so I can hear each and then fiddle with it, one bank for "artist presets" that emulate well-known artist or song tones, and another bank for the super cool sounds/effects/ambience or non-guitar sounds. Then I create the bank i need for favorite presets/gigs. I'm now starting to group my presets into groups of 3 (not default 5) to make more space on the MFC for Scene/Up down; really, it's like having a 3 channel virtual amp for each up/down switch inside a bank.

The downside of the raw amp bank is so many amps have multiple flavors; you can get a lot of sounds out of a Plexi or Suhr Badger depending on gain settings and drive pedals (whcih as M@ says "change everything") for example, or the Dietzels which are very versatile if you fiddle with the gain. But it's a starting place for the amp canvas to fiddle around. X/Y can help some to get different flavors into a single preset but that's not really working right in beta Axe Edit 1.9 well, but from unit front panel can be done.

To organize, I try to dial in the amps first/set it up with a template using my fav effects but usually at room level or headphones....then you MUST re-adjust to do them at stage volume. With 128+ amps -- and the HUGE cab choice part of the equation -- this takes some serious time to do it WELL; harder if you've not actually ever heard each amp for real. Easier just to grab 10 or 20 amps already prefer/like the best and dial those in cold.

Not trying to go off poll topic; I agree with you, a raw amp bank being available really should highlight the AXE II for users/players, even if it comes as a fourth downloadable FW 11 Bank "D" on the Fractal website you can choose to overwrite another bank. I get amazed in meeting other users how many player just use the AXE II presets (which are great) and hardly ever program anything; those folks may never know the joys of playing an amp not currently contained in Bank A.

Last edited:
with the Bot 1.2.5 you can manipulate your patches as you want: fast & fully reliable. Nothing else is needed.
just wait patiently for the AE 3.0 to use it as a remote command as Cliff said.

What will happen to those great patches? Could you move them to another BANK? if not I'm dead!

If you keep the prior version of the A/B/C banks saved in a folder labeled for the prior firmware on your computer (and likewise save the new banks under a v11 labeled directory) you can draw presets from either at any time, rearrange the banks to include only the presets you wish to lave saved on the AxeII, and save/backup your custom banks to your computer as well.

More is better :)

(...)even if it comes as a fourth downloadable FW 11 Bank "D" on the Fractal website you can choose to overwrite another bank
I got that idea too... Myself, with all the amazing sounds possible/available, I find it very hard to chose the sounds for the three banks I usually upload to my blog. Many times I thought about doing a fourth, "bonus" bank

Back
Top Bottom