F*&@#$^% Microsoft

If I use two different Gmail accounts for work, and several for personal stuff, do they each need their own container? Or could I have Work and Personal containers, each of which has more than one Gmail account?
You can decide. It's easier with containers, that's for sure. You can have a Home and Work container. They'll only have cookies for those Google accounts so you won't see each account from the containers, just one per.

Chrome has an unbeatable feature that Firefox for some reason refuses to implement: easy profile switching from within the UI. FF has profiles, but they are unnecessarily difficult to switch. This comes in very handy if you like to keep your "work" separate from your "non-work". In Chrome you just create the "work" profile and you can switch to it easily directly from the UI any time. In FF you're kind of stuck. There are "Containers" but they're shown in the same UI, which can lead to confusion. Until FF implement this option it's not really viable for me.

Chrome has an unbeatable feature that Firefox for some reason refuses to implement: easy profile switching from within the UI. FF has profiles, but they are unnecessarily difficult to switch. This comes in very handy if you like to keep your "work" separate from your "non-work". In Chrome you just create the "work" profile and you can switch to it easily directly from the UI any time. In FF you're kind of stuck. There are "Containers" but they're shown in the same UI, which can lead to confusion. Until FF implement this option it's not really viable for me.

Microsoft Edge has that as well.

Chrome has an unbeatable feature that Firefox for some reason refuses to implement: easy profile switching from within the UI. FF has profiles, but they are unnecessarily difficult to switch. This comes in very handy if you like to keep your "work" separate from your "non-work". In Chrome you just create the "work" profile and you can switch to it easily directly from there UI any time. In FF you're kind of stuck. There are "Containers" but they're shown in the same UI, which can lead to confusion. Until FF implement this option it's not really viable for me.
This is exactly what Chrome (or Gmail} keeps f-ing up. I need to use two separate Gmail accounts for work, all day. I don't switch between them, I have separate tabs for both open all the time, because I'm responsible for both. There are also some Google Sheets docs I have open all day for work. End of the work day, I shut all that down, and at some point open some personal mail and random other stuff, like this forum.

Works fine, until it doesn't. Then my personal email account shows up at the URL that used to be one of the work ones, all my bookmarks disappear, and the other work docs can't be accessed, exactly like what just happened.

Also sometimes I add something to Keep using the browser extension, then can't find it, because it's under the wrong account. I use the dark theme for Keep on my work account, so I can tell which one I'm in (which is never intentionally work), but you can't see that from the extension.

I've given Chrome a really solid chance, hasn't been ok, going to try something else, just not sure what yet.

Investigating Firefox containers today, before the maelstrom of actual work rolls in...

Very cool actually. I can be logged into a system I work on, as myself in one container, and as another user who's experiencing weirdness I want to see for myself in another. Bingo! Super helpful.

It doesn't seem that you can have separate sets of bookmarks by container though, which is a shame.
I'd really like my personal bookmarks to not even show when I'm work me, and vice versa.

You can set certain URLs to always open in a specific container, which is cool.
However, as noted above, many work URLs I need to be able to open as normal work-me, or as work-me-impersonating-someone-else-me.
I'm also responsible for two different GMail accounts, which I can manually open in two different containers, but it's not smart enough to automatically open them each in a different specific container, since in both cases it's the same domain.

Upshot is that forcing common personal sites (like this one) to open in my personal container is fine, but work is trickier.
I'm also not going to go through the entire rest of the internet and set it to open in my personal container.
Hopefully this will turn out to be an improvement, but perfect it's not.

Last edited:
Pair it with https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/containers and you'll be able to keep everything sorted nicely. I have containers for all sorts of things (including browsing forums) so information stays isolated. Add in https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/cookie-autodelete/ and you'll get super clean containers that really help curb tracking and data leaks.

Yes: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/google-keep-notes/ -- all the Google stuff works just fine in Firefox.

Chrome is a pig. Put a bullet in it.
Thanks for this! Guess I've been under a rock--Still using VM's to accomplish the same. Facepalm.
I share your stance on Chrome.

Sort of BTT- How did Satya avoid the political pony show this week? Is MS not a player any longer? :p

Investigating Firefox containers today, before the maelstrom of actual work rolls in...

Very cool actually. I can be logged into a system I work on, as myself in one container, and as another user who's experiencing weirdness I want to see for myself in another. Bingo! Super helpful.

It doesn't seem that you can have separate sets of bookmarks by container though, which is a shame.
I'd really like my personal bookmarks to not even show when I'm work me, and vice versa.

You can set certain URLs to always open in a specific container, which is cool.
However, as noted above, many work URLs I need to be able to open as normal work-me, or as work-me-impersonating-someone-else-me.
I'm also responsible for two different GMail accounts, which I can manually open in two different containers, but it's not smart enough to automatically open them each in a different specific container, since in both cases it's the same domain.

Upshot is that forcing common personal sites (like this one) to open in my personal container is fine, but work is trickier.
I'm also not going to go through the entire rest of the internet and set it to open in my personal container.
Hopefully this will turn out to be an improvement, but perfect it's not.
Just use two browsers?

I tried- it worked fine but I couldn't shake the feeling that they were stealing my data.

"I guess they all do it."
Gmail for Business is quite different from the free Gmail you get. It's actually part of a suite of tools including centralized OAuth management for an organization and it's a paid product. It has no tracking or data parsing as part of its TOS. No business would use it a the scale it's used (and it's used at a MASSIVE scale in Bay Area businesses) if Google was able to read and extract data from the email. That'd be a massive liability and a major impediment to anyone being able to use it.

Gmail for Business is quite different from the free Gmail you get. It's actually part of a suite of tools including centralized OAuth management for an organization and it's a paid product. It has no tracking or data parsing as part of its TOS. No business would use it a the scale it's used (and it's used at a MASSIVE scale in Bay Area businesses) if Google was able to read and extract data from the email. That'd be a massive liability and a major impediment to anyone being able to use it.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm also aware that companies can break their TOS as long as they don't get caught. Since the vast and overwhelming majority of their revenue comes from advertising, it would certainly be in their best interest to break that TOS if they could do it without getting caught. I don't trust them- even though I really enjoyed the Gmail interface and experience.

Like I said- I couldn't shake the feeling that they were stealing my data. (personally).

Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm also aware that companies can break their TOS as long as they don't get caught. Since the vast and overwhelming majority of their revenue comes from advertising, it would certainly be in their best interest to break that TOS if they could do it without getting caught. I don't trust them- even though I really enjoyed the Gmail interface and experience.

Like I said- I couldn't shake the feeling that they were stealing my data. (personally).
Yea, this is not a place where a TOS is being violated by Google. There's actual money tied to this product and a good revenue stream and financial damages from customers and governments if they fail in their duties here. The exodus away from this service would be significant if there wasn't complete isolation of the data and no way for Google staff to see it.

Last edited:
Yea, this is not a place with a TOS is being violated by Google. There's actual money and tied to this product and a good revenue stream and financial damages from customers and governments if they fail in their duties here. The exodus away from this service would be significant if there wasn't complete isolation of the data and no way for Google staff to see it.
Any time there is a profit motive, there is the potential for abuse of customer to access it.

Any time there is a profit motive, there is the potential for abuse of customer to access it.
There is no profit to be made by Google here were they to violate the TOS and scan private company email being hosted on their paid service. It would only be financial pain for them to violate these agreements.

The "payment" they take for their "free" email service is access to scan your emails. This is not a provision that exists in the paid tier. If it were, no one would be using it. You can't run a business on a service that Google has unfettered access to.

Look, kids, I get you like to arm chair quarterback everything here but the literal army of lawyers that have poured over the GSuite TOS from the mryiad of companies that rely on Google for Business for their day-to-day operations gives me more assurances than your "feelings" and poorly assembled soundbite sentences. The entirety of Silcon Valley runs on Google for Business. It would not if scanning your content was a thing Google could do if you used the service. Full stop.

Last edited:
Look, kids, I get you like to arm chair quarterback everything here but the literal army of lawyers that have poured over the GSuite TOS from the mryiad of companies that rely on Google for Business for their day-to-day operations gives me more assurances than your "feelings" and poorly assembled soundbite sentences. The entirety of Silcon Valley runs on Google for Business. It would not if scanning your content was a thing Google could do if you used the service. Full stop.

Now that wasn't really necessary, kid

You have your "assurances" and you're comfortable with it- great! Enjoy!

In today's "Microsoft Follies" we have the latest update to Office breaking the auto-fill.

Here I'm typing a message to Matt. Matt's auto-filled email address is about 6 inches off the top of my monitor.

I mean c'mon man....

cmon_man.png

Back
Top Bottom