F#ck Roland

steadystate

Fractal Fanatic
I need to by a Roland GK3 internal kit for a new guitar (my 5th at this point). So I go to Anderton's website as usual to buy one at the typical 92 pounds (about 110 USD), since they've always been a little cheaper. They tell me that Roland recently banned them from selling their products in the US.

So I look for one from a domestic dealer.....any domestic dealer.....$400!!!!! WTF??? The consistency in US price leads me to believe that this price is also a dictate from Roland.

I don't know why Roland has decided to rape US customers by forcing them to buy at this insane price, and I don't care. Last straw. I'm done with Roland, for so many reasons. There is no justification for charging four times as much in the US.

I'd suggest that some of you non-US guys who want to make some spare cash should buy Roland products and resell them to US customers.

I'm considering all possibilities. I think I'll try to duplicate the boards in EasyEDA and make my own, then buy used external GKs cheap just for the magnetic pickup. Even if the final cost is comperable, I don't care. Fuck Roland.

Similar thing when buying a Roland TM-2 drum module - $180 at Thomann, $300 in the U.S.A. with no shipping from Thomann to America.

Wow, I think too that it must be something wrong with prices.... For once in my life I'm happy to be on this side of the pound...

I've already made my own boards for the guitar GK 13-pin jack and for the VG-99 13-pin jack because replacements are either insanely overpriced or impossible to obtain. I'm actually looking forward to making more. I may have to substitute the op amps or perhaps use a larger package, but I don't care.
Edit: I think I'll silkscreen "Fuck Roland" on all of my boards from now on.

Attachments

• Fuck Roland.jpg
    Fuck Roland.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I've already made my own boards for the guitar GK 13-pin jack and for the VG-99 13-pin jack because replacements are either insanely overpriced or impossible to obtain. I'm actually looking forward to making more. I may have to substitute the op amps or perhaps use a larger package, but I don't care.
This a little off topic but I used to do the GK3 thing also. Then I finally decided to try a Godin LXGT with its internal pickup and I have been quite pleased with that. So I have ditched the GK3. I understand that you may be on a different trajectory wanting to equip multiple guitars.

I was recently looking at the whole hexaphonic or individual saddle deals like GK3, Triple play or the Ghost system. It’s all a PITA and I gave up. For now. There was a situation where it would have been about the same price to get the Boss GP10 with the GK3 system as a package than just the pickup system from Roland or something like the Triple Play. There’s a lot discrepancy with the whole guitar synth market. I just want polyphonic ability and don’t completely trust the software only setup.

Edit:
…and not pay a ton of money!!

Last edited:
Edit: I think I'll silkscreen "Fuck Roland" on all of my boards from now on.
I have two VG-99s, one of which has a failing encoder. I bought a 2nd and I'm keeping the failing one for scavenging parts. If you start producing 13pin replacement boards, let me know. I'll buy one from you if you've got extra.

I was recently looking at the whole hexaphonic or individual saddle deals like GK3, Triple play or the Ghost system. It’s all a PITA and I gave up. For now. There was a situation where it would have been about the same price to get the Boss GP10 with the GK3 system as a package than just the pickup system from Roland or something like the Triple Play. There’s a lot discrepancy with the whole guitar synth market. I just want polyphonic ability and don’t completely trust the software only setup.

Edit:
…and not pay a ton of money!!
Check out Jam Origin Midi Guitar 2. It tracks comparably to my Fishman Triple Play. And you don't have to install any hardware on the guitar. It works great in a studio when you have a computer that can host the software, that also has virtual instruments. However, if you want to use it live you have to use a lap and figure out a way to get your guitar signal into the laptop. It's doable, but requires more setup than a regular rig.

Check out Jam Origin Midi Guitar 2. It tracks comparably to my Fishman Triple Play. And you don't have to install any hardware on the guitar. It works great in a studio when you have a computer that can host the software, that also has virtual instruments. However, if you want to use it live you have to use a lap and figure out a way to get your guitar signal into the laptop. It's doable, but requires more setup than a regular rig.
I have Midi Guitar too. But I'm not using the GK for Midi. I'm using it for modeling and altered tunings.

Yes, I’ve researched Jam Origin pretty heavily recently and almost pulled the plug a couple times. Everyone seems to praise it and it would definitely expand the possibilities. I’m still a little hesitant on the pitch to MIDI processing being trusted to a PC. I’m torn between the money for it or going all out with a hexaphonic setup to also do altered tunings and other individual string strangeness. If I could convince the wife to let me decrease the bank account I would probably drop the $500 on the GP-10 deal and be set up in all ways. It’s dated tech, but would be useful.

Your points are well taken. That’s why I threw up my hands and gave up for now. There’s a good chance the MIDI Guitar 2 may be in the future. I have yet to download the trial and see just how well it does. I have a laptop that can handle it. I might just do that tonight.

Yes, I’ve researched Jam Origin pretty heavily recently and almost pulled the plug a couple times. Everyone seems to praise it and it would definitely expand the possibilities. I’m still a little hesitant on the pitch to MIDI processing being trusted to a PC. I’m torn between the money for it or going all out with a hexaphonic setup to also do altered tunings and other individual string strangeness. If I could convince the wife to let me decrease the bank account I would probably drop the $500 on the GP-10 deal and be set up in all ways. It’s dated tech, but would be useful.

Your points are well taken. That’s why I threw up my hands and gave up for now. There’s a good chance the MIDI Guitar 2 may be in the future. I have yet to download the trial and see just how well it does. I have a laptop that can handle it. I might just do that tonight.
I don't bother with a computer. I use it on an iPad.

Here's the guy that made the pickups for Godin.

https://www.rmcpickup.com/

Looking like he's not offering any MIDI ready pickups........
They started with RMC but then switched to LR Baggs I believe. I've got an LGX SA with an LR Baggs system and it's outstanding. I have a Kiesel with the Graphtech and it is equally as impressive. I have a GK3 which came with my GR-55 but haven't used it. If I were modding a guitar, I'd probably use the Graphtech system as I know it works well and they seem to have lots of resources to help you get it right. It's also modular so you can customize it a bit.

Back
Top Bottom