EZdrummer 2

Depends on your workflow if you ask me. If you can make SD work for what you want there is no arguing that it's a more powerful product. But if you are like me and it isn't a matter of mixing as much as it is just getting something going then I think that EZD2 is really invaluable.

One of the selling points to EZD2 is that it's not an either/or deal with SD. They are two separate products with two different applications and the cool thing is that you can take anything you create in EZD2 and use the MIDI in SD to use it's feature set. I'd actually think that EZD2 is the idea creation tool and SD is the production side if you want more control.

As a long time Logic and NI Komplete user, I always felt I had enough options in the midi drummer/sampled kits department. I always suspected EZDrummer would be a better creative adjunct, and after taking the plunge and using it for just a few minutes I can already see how it enhances creative workflow. I'm not sure how good the original program was, but this new version is excellent. I'll be using it not only to create rough drafts that I can tweak in Logic or all the various sampled kits in Komplete, but I also think it will be great learning tool for my Roland VDrums. Thanks to everyone who recommended it.

As a long time Logic and NI Komplete user, I always felt I had enough options in the midi drummer/sampled kits department. I always suspected EZDrummer would be a better creative adjunct, and after taking the plunge and using it for just a few minutes I can already see how it enhances creative workflow. I'm not sure how good the original program was, but this new version is excellent. I'll be using it not only to create rough drafts that I can tweak in Logic or all the various sampled kits in Komplete, but I also think it will be great learning tool for my Roland VDrums. Thanks to everyone who recommended it.
I bought EZD1 about a month before two was released (when I heard about the free upgrade). So going into it I had already seen the new features and can tell you that the older version was a real disappointment when armed with knowing what EZD2 had to offer. The advantage of buying v1 was that you get the drum kits that came with that as well as the two new ones that come with v2. Plus I was able to get a deal on it with a dealer on e-Bay; think that I paid like $125 for it via digital download straight from Toontrack's website.

I know that I had posted a thread about it on here, but it sank to the bottom pretty quickly.

Weird. I'm not getting much in the way of matches using the 'tap to find' function. Even the simplest patterns fail and are often not very similar at all.
I have installed the rock/pop EZX.
Maybe it takes a lot more midi files than EZD2 comes with to make the function usable...
Is anyone getting good results from 'tap to find'?

Weird. I'm not getting much in the way of matches using the 'tap to find' function. Even the simplest patterns fail and are often not very similar at all.
I have installed the rock/pop EZX.
Maybe it takes a lot more midi files than EZD2 comes with to make the function usable...
Is anyone getting good results from 'tap to find'?
The bigger the library to choose from the better chances of success or matching. My results aren't very accurate because I don't have a massive MIDI library, but then again what I am tapping in there is pretty simple. I find that what I am getting is good enough to start with.

Well I have SD2 and EZD2 and I must say the workflow in EZD2 is child’s play, create in EZD2 and refine with SD2 (mainly the mix, and FX). Load both plugins on one track in the DAW and switch between the 2. Why?, IMHO the drums, mixing and FX in SD2 are superior to EZD2, not saying the kits in EZD2 aren’t usable, on the contrary, very satisfied. Hoping to see some of the EZD2 enhancements in SD2 in the future.

I ppl,

resume this 3D coz now I'm EzDrummed2 too...
Just a question for other EZD2 users...
While inside a DAW the progz seem to accept the AXEFXII USB ASIO driver of the daw (for daw... say... Nuendo or Cubase)... the stand-alone progz allow only the MME audio from the AxeFx (more latency) and not the ASIO ...
Any suggestion/workaround?

Edit: The Axe works @48KHz

Last edited:
Because the stand alone see the Actually soundcard ( internal most often or esternal ) used by your Pc/Mac ...
I'm pretty sure you don't use AxeFx sound card capabilities listening to iTunes or Skype or wathever program needs sound .

If you want to use EZD as SA with Axe you need to change your computer sound preferences ( not in the DAW)

You're angry with a company for not supporting an OS that even the development company doesn't support anymore?

Windows XP support has ended - Microsoft Windows

I know, I know...it's a real PITA to start from scratch, but ya gotta bite the bullet sometime.

You are absolutely correct.
As most of us computing professionals who have been doing this for a while will tell you, when you buy software and especially hardware, you know it will not last forever and you plan for it.
Important: Plan for it!

Hardware must be replaced after five years, best at three. Same for software. When you purchase it you need to work with your vendor to ensure they will
have an upgrade path or do not use that vendor. Hardware and Software are consumable products. Use as best, then replace with newer.

As FAS has done it's best to ensure that when new firmware is loaded, previous presets are kept and may require minor tweaking due to features added or adjustments
made to the internal workings of it's software.

If Windows XP works for you and your app works fine, then run it forever. But if you have problems and want the newest version of your app or new hardware, don't be surprised that
it is not backward compatible.

I would ask that FAS provide an export utility that allows us to export the presets from an Axe-FX into an XML file. That would allow us to "Backup" our machines and potentially make it easier to compare configs, settings, upload presets, etc..

Is EZD2 better than SD2? I see a lot of comments here about SD2 owners upgrading/incorporating EZD2 as well.

I use SSD4 at the moment, and like some others have mentioned, haven't really bonded with it, and I'm looking to try something new. SD2 and EZD2 are always being recommended on here, so... should I even try SD2 or go straight to the latest EZD2?

SD is a complite awesome and customizable program for drums with super in depth editing of the drum kit sounds .
EZD2 is a great tool to create your own midi drum file and of course with super good sons libraries ( interchangeble with SD2 )
The program itself don't have the super-depth capacity of customize totally the sounds .

They are 2'programs slightly different but can surely be implemented together .
Probably if you're a seasoned studio worker you're more oriented on something that aloes you to completely build you're sounds ( maybe you have you're own drum midi library done etc. )
If you are a home studio musician and everything in between with the urge for good drum tones , speed workflow and not so much worked with your own midi library .:. Definitel EZD2 is the choice .

If you are a super maniac and you like loosing yourself everytime in the rabbit hole of music perfection ... The bundle is required

Personally I purchased EZD2 and I'm really happy with it ....
As someone stated before doing drum files is really annoying ... Nice when you reach the final result but not so much before .

My problem with EZD2 is that I like ( and fall ) always in something slightly different from 4/4 or 6/8 so.... Some feature like tap2 find and other speed up tool are not really working to me , I need to wright the midi
I'm in the learning process right now , I just posted a little music with EZ2 if you want to listen how it sounds ( and it sounds good ... EZ ... Not my song )

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/88669-ambient-rock-fw15-03-a.html

Ezd2 is fantastic. It makes writing and arranging a joy. The sound libraries that come with it are more than sufficient imo. However, sd2 sound libraries are NOT compatible. The midi files are but not sound files. IMO unless you are a hard core drum expert, or high end studio, ezd2 is all you need to quickly make great sounding custom drum track for your songs.

Ezd2 is fantastic. It makes writing and arranging a joy. The sound libraries that come with it are more than sufficient imo. However, sd2 sound libraries are NOT compatible. The midi files are but not sound files. IMO unless you are a hard core drum expert, or high end studio, ezd2 is all you need to quickly make great sounding custom drum track for your songs.

You're right , my mistake on sound Library compability

It's not that big a deal though. You can easily write your track in ezd2 then play the midi through sd2. If someone had neither program and looking for a place to start, I recommend ezd2.

Because the stand alone see the Actually soundcard ( internal most often or esternal ) used by your Pc/Mac ...
I'm pretty sure you don't use AxeFx sound card capabilities listening to iTunes or Skype or wathever program needs sound .

If you want to use EZD as SA with Axe you need to change your computer sound preferences ( not in the DAW)

Nope.
AxeFx is the "actually" soundcard... not only inside the daw progz... coz I use practice playing along many youtube's backing tracks or listening mp3s with winamp... so when i fire up the Axe i select it as the main soundcard of the system (Win7 64)
Dunno why EZD2 standalone can't use the ASIO ...I can see it in the sound options menu but selecting it i receive an "soundcard error".

I bet even an hard core drum expert can't find differences in a full mix!
And you can process every tracks and channels from EZD2 and the stereo mixdown in your daw with dedicated VST fx.
So the you have the fast writing arranging the drum song and the hi quality of the sound!
Who want mess with mic positioning... bleed etc... just play your music!!! :encouragement:

I bet even an hard core drum expert can't find differences in a full mix!
And you can process every tracks and channels from EZD2 and the stereo mixdown in your daw with dedicated VST fx.
So the you have the fast writing arranging the drum song and the hi quality of the sound!
Who want mess with mic positioning... bleed etc... just play your music!!! :encouragement:

I agree entirely with this, but I am not a drummer. I suspect maybe a drummer would say the same thing about the AFX, "why bother with advanced parameters? Just plug into that old Marshall in the corner."

Back
Top Bottom