EZ-PICK Layout to reach any distant preset

fuzzydude

Inspired
So you just bought your FC-12 to remotely control the amazing power of the Axe FX III MKII or MKII Turbo. In rehearsal, you realize there’s a bit of dancing to get to all the cool presets you’ve obsessed over. It’s not a problem for your bassist because he only uses all of 50 presets for everything he plays and they’re all in 5 banks right next to each other.

But you’ve got over 900 presets and after spending $699 on the FC-12, you darn well feel you should more easily reach any of them onstage if the need arises.

Enter the EZ-PICK layout… for the low, low price of FREE, you can now quickly reach any distant preset with a minimum of nerve-wracking taps!

All kidding aside, I’m not sure if this has already been thought of but since my search-fu isn’t strong, I just came up with my own solution. I found this layout to be the fastest way to reach any random preset of the 1024 using the FC-12. EDIT: I've since added Layouts for different combinations of Mk1, Mk2 and FC6, FC12. See below.

This layout is really a band-aid for the missing FC Bank+1/-1 hold function that should keep skipping banks at a reasonable pace to reach any of those 102 banks. The kind of User Interface stuff that should exist on the FC-12 like it does on the main Axe unit, but doesn’t. In truth, this layout may actually get to your preset faster than a repeating bank increment, but I still think that should’ve been possible for those who want the absolute minimum button tapping.

The way the EZ-PICK layout works is the top row is a set of toggles for specific banks spread across the 1024 preset range:

EZ-PICK.PNG

The bottom row allows you to more finely navigate to a specific bank and preset. You can also just hold down that top right button for the Preset Layout to quickly select your preset once you reach the correct bank.

After picking the target preset, I usually head into Perform 1 Layout, but feel free to change it if something else makes more sense to you.

In my case, I use a Bank Size of 10 (FC-12 only) and disabled Bank Switch Limits.

Before importing, be sure to backup your FC Layouts and settings. As with all things, Caveat Emptor! I won’t be responsible if your Axe unit becomes self-aware and turns into Skynet .

Lastly, I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if there is a better solution to this that I’ve missed somewhere. So, if someone has a better suggestion, I’ll gladly drop this post. Any other helpful suggestions/modifications are also welcome.

EZ-PICK MK2 FC12 Layout

EDIT: I was bored, so I decided to create similar layouts for the other typical combinations: MK1 w/FC6, MK1 w/FC12, and MK2 w/FC6.

I DO NOT OWN AN FC6
, SO THOSE LAYOUTS ARE UNTESTED BUT SHOULD WORK. BE SURE TO BACK-UP THE LAYOUT YOU'RE OVERWRITING.

MK1 /w FC6 - Bank Size 4 - Note the lack of Preset +1/-1 instead use the PERFORM 1 or PRESETS Layout to get to the specific preset.
EZ-PICK-MK1-FC6.JPG

EZ-PICK MK1 FC6 Layout

MK1 w/ FC12 - Bank Size 10
EZ-PICK-MK1-FC12.JPG

EZ-PICK MK1 FC12 Layout

MK2 w/ FC6 - Bank Size 4 - Note the lack of Preset +1/-1 instead use the PERFORM 1 or PRESETS Layout to get to the specific preset.
EZ-PICK-MK2-FC6.JPG

EZ-PICK MK2 FC6 Layout

Last edited:
One minor "issue" with this layout is that banks are based on bank size, and your switch assignments appear to be assuming others are also using bank size 10.

Also, it assumes 1024 preset slots, but the Axe Fx III mkI has only 512...

Not saying it's a bad solution and for some it could work quite nicely.

This layout is really a band-aid for the missing FC Bank+1/-1 hold function that should keep skipping banks
FYI, there's at least 1 wish for this - the term you want is "typematic scrolling".

Adding to the wishes can help bring attention:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/search/828390/?q=Typematic+scrolling&o=date

I did mention the MKII and MKII Turbo and FC-12 in the OP. I also mentioned I used Bank Size 10. If you don't have those, this layout won't work for you.

EDIT: I added similar layouts for MK1 w/FC6, MK1 w/FC12, and MK2 w/FC6 at the end of the OP.

FYI, there's at least 1 wish for this - the term you want is "typematic scrolling".

Adding to the wishes can help bring attention:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/search/828390/?q=Typematic+scrolling&o=date

Typematic scrolling! Good to know!

BTW, Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see anything in the FC Wishlist getting attention. I gave up on that.

Last edited:
Cool idea. I haven't fooled with this yet. Am I right in thinking this works best if you know what preset number you want?

Cool idea. I haven't fooled with this yet. Am I right in thinking this works best if you know what preset number you want?
Yes, exactly. I should've mentioned it in the OP. If you know a specific preset number you need, this will get you there.
Even if you only have an idea where it is, you can get there and use a Preset Layout to fish around for it.

Back
Top Bottom