[EXTREME FIZZ WITH POWER AMP USAGE] - Can't get rid of it. Is it the power amp?

Hey guys,
I recently bought a Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp and have it hooked to the Axe and a Koch TS212 (2x12 cab). It all sounds pretty nice when I play clean, but when I grab the Gibson LP Custom (tuned to B Standard) and pump out some high gain, it sounds absolutely horrible. I can't dial the fizz away, I tried the Advanced tab at the Amp section, tried playing around with the Amp's EQ, even the Power Amp's own control, also tried dialing back the TS808 tone, nothing seems to help.

I presume I have to go and EQ the shit out of the chain to remove the fizz, but, the previous owner of the Peavey said that it might need some biasing, but that it does work properly and that that is just purely a taste thing.

Also, I'm not playing at extremely loud volumes here. Does the fizz disappear at louder volumes? I doubt it ...

So, what should I do?

hello! I have the same experience with koch cabs (1x12, 2x12) with koch vg12-90 speakers in.
on the living room volume (and some louder) the distorted sounds was very fizzy, cleans very good. with the volume that I need to play with our drummer the fizziness was gone and the cabs sound great. for that matter I changed the speaker to Celestion V30 in my 2x12 koch cab and that sound good, for use at home I changed the speaker also to V30 and make the 1x12 cab to open back. 1x12 with V30 on band volume level I did not like because the cab sounds boxy. this fizziness I notice before I had ultra, so I think this time it is not ultras fault ...

Last edited:
hello! I have the same experience with koch cabs (1x12, 2x12) with koch vg12-90 speakers in.
on the living room volume (and some louder) the distorted sounds was very fizzy, cleans very good. with the volume that I need to play with our drummer the fizziness was gone and the cabs sound great. for that matter I changed the speaker to Celestion V30 in my 2x12 koch cab and that sound good, for use at home I changed the speaker also to V30 and make the 1x12 cab to open back. 1x12 with V30 on band volume level I did not like because the cab sounds boxy. this fizziness I notice before I had ultra, so I think this time it is not ultras fault ...
You make a very good point, you know? The Koch cabs, especially the 1x12 and 2x12, are known to sound fizzy and they've always sounded rather fizzy with the Koch Powertone I, which I've always used (not to my satisfaction, that is - the Powertone II is a lot better).

I always use a Kustom 4x12 cab in the rehearsal room, so I should just wait and see how it sounds there and then just hope that the Koch TS212 will sound good in a live setting. I only use that one when we gig, because we're a 6 piece band and there's just no room for 3 4x12's.

Also, the seller just said he assures me that it's not the Peavey. It's really transparent and doesn't add much and it has worked perfectly before shipping. Besides that, he says the Peavey is biased correctly for its el84's.

But, to clarify, you swapped out the speakers to V30's in your 2x12? Does that mean that the fizzyness was reduced with the V30's and the VG12-90 just didn't work that well for you? I've never really been happy with this cab, to be really honest. It's quite brittle and harsh.

Last edited:
Hello! Yes, I put the V30 instead of VG12-90. And yes the fizzyness was completely gone. I play a twintone II.
I liked also Mesa Stiletto 1x12 Cab with V30 for my sort of music (hard rock, deep purple etc., no nu metall), very precise, very present in the band mix.

A 1x12 wouldn't be enough for the stuff we do - I already am bummed out I can't use a 4x12 - haha.
Anyways, did you replace the speakers at / with Koch or did you do this yourself? Also, any idea where I can find V30's for cheap in the Netherlands?

Last edited:
I bought two V30 on ebay and put it in by myself, that was really easy.
I prefered some that were already played because I found that they need some time to sound good.

Problem solved. I placed a PEQ block at the end and just blocked out everything above 8 / 9Khz. Everything is intact, but the nasty top end sizzle is gone. :) Sounds great now, really happy with it, even at low volume!

Back
Top Bottom