Extracting MIDI from recorded drum track

Fabio KTG

Fractal Fanatic
OK, so I have some old drum recording from my old band and I've tried using Drumtracker with no success. Will Drumagog or Trigger do a better job?

I want the ability to load up an audio file of a full drum kit recording and extract the audio, velocity and feel into a MIDI track so I can use Superior Drummer/SSD4 etc.

Can it be done?

I checked into this about a year ago. It appears it can't be done (I also emailed Steven Slate regarding trigger) and in order for these programs to work you have to have isolated individual drum tracks where you have separate tracks for each drum to make the midi. Ie: kick track, snare track, etc. I have no idea if there is something that can do it now

If you have Melodyne Editor, you could pull your stereo drum track into it and delete everything but one drum/cymbal(s). You'd have to do it as many times as there are drums in the track, but it'd work. Then run it through Drumagog or Trigger. (I prefer Trigger, but it's totally a preference thing.) Time consuming, but it'd get you to where you wanna go.

Would Ableton Live's new pitch to MIDI functionality do this? I don't know as I haven't used the new version.

Back
Top Bottom