External switches

Wildwind

Experienced
What kinds of switches are you guys using with your MFC? I have a couple of things laying around, haven't tried them yet to see what works. I just want to run two switches, thinking about the Boss FS-5U since they slide together (and I already have one).

I'm working on building my own but I tried it out with this no name foot pedal I had lying around and it worked fine.

Okay, now I wonder if I'm misunderstanding how these can work. I wanted to take two of the functions from the MFC and put them on the external switches. This is entirely due to my overly large feet - very hard for me to accurately tap dance at times. I was going assign my two most-used functions to these switches.

But the manual seems to indicate that the switches will only control global functions. I had no intent to have the switches do different things on different patches. I'll keep reading - but if anyone can enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.

I use the FS-5U, works great. The switch functions on the external switches can be used globally on all patches or you may change them per preset as well, where the IA switches must be global.

I use two FS-6's for a total of 4 switches. However, since they run on batteries and the batteries deplete if you leave a cable plugged in I have modified mine with mini toggle switches to disconnect the battery when not in use. That way I don't need a power source on my pedal board. So far everything is working fine.

Okay, great information. I just grabbed a second FS-5U. Now onward to the programming. Should be interesting...

Can the switches duplicate the MFC's toggles? At first the same function will be in two places probably. Guess I'll find out.

Well obviously I'm running my baby EXT4MFC (Expansion Module For The MFC-101).
Basically most foot switches will do the job BUT make sure it’s a momentary normally open switch!
Momentary can be configure in the MFC to either momentary OR latched wile latched can be only….latch.

The external switching can control almost any global function and within a preset, I use it for:
1. Volume Decrease
2. Volume Increase.
3. Amp A/Y.
4. Reverb On/Off.
Others use it for scenes select etc….
I did a custom EXT4MFC unit for a guy who use 1 standard EXT4MFC for the external switching and a 2nd unit with 2 switches running to the external expression input and the other 2 switches are a latched type for his amp channel switching and FX on/off.
You can control many functions with it.
External switching is a killer. :encouragement:

Good advice Roadrunner. And glad your module is selling well. Its form factor is what I can't handle, though, with my clogs. So a pair of FS-5U switches should resolve that cheaply. Who knows, maybe I'll love it and buy two more. But probably not.

Back
Top Bottom