External switch function and build question

MrGuitarabuse

Fractal Fanatic
WARNING! The following questions are asked by a very passionate but extremely none tech skilled person.

I am using my MFC with
1-4 presets
5-15 IA switches for effects
16-17 Boost / Tuner

I wonder if I can use external switches to “behave” same as the IA onboard the MFC (5-15)? Like if I have external switches with LED, can they also remember the instance of the switch, dual color style ala MFC?

If so, I am planning to DIY (or rather do it myelf) a 2 or 4 external switch box with LED

What kind of switches do I need? Latching style or?

Then if any of you have ideas on wiring diagram, type of LED´s etc, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

The IA switches on the MFC are initialized based on the values saved in the preset. I don't believe there is any way to do the same thing* with an external switch. IOW, you can use an external switch to bypass an fx block, and you can also have it change the state of an LED, but you won't get the off/red/green behavior like the MFC.

* OK, in theory it could be done by making the external switch a full-fledged midi controller and monitoring the midi stream going to the MFC. Not a trivial project.

thanks,

fair enough. I stick to KISS strategy then (Keep It Simple Stupid) ;) how about the switch itself latching or momentary?

You can use ether momentary or latching switches, then you set up the MFC accordingly.

I made a simple external box for switches 1+2 of my MFC using a couple of the momentary variety. As for a wiring diagram, if you're using a basic switches with only 2 terminals each it is simply a matter of taking your TRS (stereo) socket and connecting it as follows:

Tip ---> One terminal of switch A
Ring ---> One terminal of switch B
Sleeve ---> The other terminal of both switches A and B

I'll try and find a pic of that layout to link to, but it really is very simple to do.

Back
Top Bottom