External SSD

Oh and I've got a couple of SSD's in my laptop and desktop.
Been running fine for years now.

I use a Samsung Pro SSD for samples/virtual instruments- it's internal, so I splurge and get the PRO. They are well worth it. Really makes life easy when using/loading.

Samsung , G-tech and the Sandisk external SSDs are all great in my experience. Use all three brands for my ableton and studio one sessions.

If you got USB 3.1 on you workstation then... 👍

But if you gotz Thunderbolt

Plugable 1TB Thunderbolt 3 External SSD NVMe
Amazon product ASIN B07BKQN6CM

I'm using an enclosure with a NVME ssd. I am planning on upgrading my mboard soon to allow me to run at least 2 of the 3 NVME slots (i will lose one to PCI X4 slot Thunderbolt card) so later i will use the enclosure for mobile/backup.

ASUS ROG STRIX Arion Aluminum Alloy M.2 NVMe SSD External Portable Enclosure Case Adapter, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C (10 Gbps),

Amazon product ASIN B07ZKB4SLK

Corsair Force Series MP600 1TB Gen4 PCIe X4 NVMe M.2 SSD
Amazon product ASIN B07SQZYW2V

Last edited:
Hi,
looks good however I wanted to save some money so I added Some external ssd ports and power to one of the slots at the back of my pc. When SSDs are on sale I grab one or two for backups, Now, when I want to backup, I just plug an ssd into the pc, and use it as a hard drive. Certainly not as pretty as what you’re looking at, but hard wearing and economical without compromising on longevity.
thanks
pauly

What do you think of this product for external SSD storage of sample libraries.
It's for my workstation. I've got a spinny external now and I'm trying to lose the noise.

https://www.newegg.com/samsung-t5-2tb/p/N82E16820147644

I have one for IR recording sessions that I have been abusing with read/write cycles for a few months now.

The unit is rock solid and performs perfectly.

SSDs are great for speed and quietness. I have been using them in several laptops and for external backups. Samsung EVO is the fastest among the ones I have had. One drawback is if something happens to the disk you lose all of it. With mechanical disks you may have bad sectors but still be able to recover some of it. Anyways, I moved to SSD years ago and will never go back. Just make sure you keep backups when Murphy visits.

I have 2 SSDs in a raid 0 setup for an external backup disk and I have seen 700+M/s throughput on some files. For single SSD cloning I get 230+M/s.

I have a T5 for my SD3 libraries and another one for backups, as well as a couple internal Samsung SSDs, all work perfectly and fast. Never had a problem.

Back
Top Bottom