External source (ipad) via Input 2 - levels matching issues

adew

Inspired
This isn't really an issue (as I can work around it) but wondered if others had experienced the same thing.

Like many others, I run my iPad into the AF2's Input 2 to practice songs, riffs, etc, using a 2x1/4 to 1/8 trs cable. I then add a FXL block to the grid just before the grid Output. Works fine. However, I notice that I have quite a difficulty in balancing the volume levels between the iPad's output (which I have set to max on the iPad) and my guitar sound, the latter being really loud in comparison, and find I have to go into the grid Output mixer and cut the maximum -20dB from my guitar and boost the iPad volume by +2 to +4 dBs.

May be a silly question, but is this normal?

Thanks!

I use my ipad to trigger samples via my footpedal (midi).
I found the level differences to be quite large especially if I use a high gain patch.
My guess is it's inherent in the devices output levels.
I add a compressor to the ipad part of the grid and set it up like a limiter and crank compressor output level as high as possible.

I use my ipad to trigger samples via my footpedal (midi).
I found the level differences to be quite large especially if I use a high gain patch.
My guess is it's inherent in the devices output levels.
I add a compressor to the ipad part of the grid and set it up like a limiter and crank compressor output level as high as possible.
I think you're right. I'm using high gain patches too, and probably the backing tracks I'm using are not particularly loud. Anyway, I can work my way around it without. Thanks for the compressor tip - I'll give it a try.

Sounds about right. The Axe-Fx is a +4 dBu device. The iPad is likely -10 dBV (if that). -10 dBV is about -8 dBu. So that's a 12 dB difference right there. Typically these battery powered iThingamabobs are even lower than -10 dBV since they run on low voltage sources. So, yeah, I can see there being a 20 dB difference.

The easiest thing is to just turn the level down in the amp block and turn up the output level on the front panel.

Sounds about right. The Axe-Fx is a +4 dBu device. The iPad is likely -10 dBV (if that). -10 dBV is about -8 dBu. So that's a 12 dB difference right there. Typically these battery powered iThingamabobs are even lower than -10 dBV since they run on low voltage sources. So, yeah, I can see there being a 20 dB difference.

The easiest thing is to just turn the level down in the amp block and turn up the output level on the front panel.
Thanks for the tip. (And confirmation that I'm not going crazy. LOL )

Back
Top Bottom