External pedal question

gdgross

Experienced
Another question if you guys will continue to indulge me...

on my FM3, if I set one of the pedals to "switch" I was able to assign PEDAL X TIP and PEDAL X RING separately. On the FM9, when change the pedal type to ''switch", I still only have PEDAL X as an option, no separate tip/ring. Is this expected?

Also, it seems like when I change the SwitchBehavior parameter on pedal 2, pedal 3 also changes to what I did on pedal 2, and vise versa. This also seems strange.

Here's a vid showing this second bit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/omcfvsm84c2g60u/IMG_5648.mov?dl=0

Thanks!

Another question if you guys will continue to indulge me...

on my FM3, if I set one of the pedals to "switch" I was able to assign PEDAL X TIP and PEDAL X RING separately. On the FM9, when change the pedal type to ''switch", I still only have PEDAL X as an option, no separate tip/ring. Is this expected?

Also, it seems like when I change the SwitchBehavior parameter on pedal 2, pedal 3 also changes to what I did on pedal 2, and vise versa. This also seems strange.

Here's a vid showing this second bit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/omcfvsm84c2g60u/IMG_5648.mov?dl=0

Thanks!
The switches are a little buggy. I reported this a couple weeks back, or thereabouts.

The reply was, essentially:
MEME2021-10-23-03-27-04.jpg

Yup. The pedal jacks on the FM9 can only accept one switch each.

Unfortunately the FM9 jacks support only a single switch, not two...
I reported this issue before here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-3-jacks-acting-strangely.177298/post-2160715

@gdgross:

If needed, you can still use PDL Jack #1 for either TRS or TS input, IIRC. (Correct me, folks if this might be errant info...). It's jacks #2/#3 that are off. My plan is to continue to utilize my EV-1 for expression/volume and wait until FAS provides an FM9 firmware update to Cygnus 1.0 to employ PDL jacks 2 & 3 for external stand-in switches.

My FX board is assembled and ready to rock, just need to wait for the FM9's arrival & firmware update to be able to work with the external switches.

Last edited:
@gdgross:

If needed, you can still use PDL Jack #1 for either TRS or TS input, IIRC. (Correct me, folks if this might be errant info...). It's jacks #2/#3 that are off. My plan is to continue to utilize my EV-1 for expression/volume and wait until FAS provides an FM9 firmware update to Cygnus 1.0 to employ PDL jacks 2 & 3 for external stand-in switches.

My FX board is assembled and ready to rock, just need to wait for the FM9's arrival & firmware update to be able to work with the external switches.
All 3 switches support being used as stand-in and (mostly) work as expected.

There's an issue with 2 and 3 regarding this reported issue as well as with Normally Open vs Normally Closed operation.

Additionally, there is another bug I reported regarding switch behavior being wonky when using both Tap and Hold with normally closed switches.

None of them supports TRS for switches - they are designed for a single switch only.

All 3 switches support being used as stand-in and (mostly) work as expected.

There's an issue with 2 and 3 regarding this reported issue as well as with Normally Open vs Normally Closed operation.

Additionally, there is another bug I reported regarding switch behavior being wonky when using both Tap and Hold with normally closed switches.

None of them supports TRS for switches - they are designed for a single switch only.
Just need to toss this into the mix...

My FX board has 2 normally closed momentary switches. At this writing, my understanding is that PDL jacks 2 and 3 have issues with the tap/hold function working correctly. Is this also applicable to normally open switches?

My current understanding is also that a firmware update should solve the wonky tap/hold concerns for both normally open and closed momentary switches. Can you verify?

P.S. We do not have a dancing banana emoji. :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
My FX board has 2 normally closed momentary switches. At this writing, my understanding is that PDL jacks 2 and 3 have issues with the tap/hold function working correctly. Is this also applicable to normally open switches?
It seems to be with NC only. See this post in my bug thread:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ch-behavior-with-tap-hold.177734/post-2164877
My current understanding is also that a firmware update should solve the wonky tap/hold concerns for both normally open and closed momentary switches. Can you verify?
I don't work for Fractal and the bug has not been verified or even acknowledged by Fractal yet...

However, it is expected to work - the features to support NO and NC switches is there. So we can deduce that it is a firmware bug and will be fixed in the future.

It seems to be with NC only. See this post in my bug thread:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ch-behavior-with-tap-hold.177734/post-2164877

I don't work for Fractal and the bug has not been verified or even acknowledged by Fractal yet...

However, it is expected to work - the features to support NO and NC switches is there. So we can deduce that it is a firmware bug and will be fixed in the future.
Concur. The consensus seems to be that a firmware update should solve any errant tap/hold issues, and well as correct any normally open/closed momentary stand-in switch issues.

Fractal has acknowledged that they are aware of the problem (found out with a personal email question to FAS Tech Support), and are working on solving the problem with the next firmware update.

Guys, just to follow up on this - I'm guessing that the wonky external pedal behavior could be affecting my external tap tempo switch too? It seems like the pedal jack is sensing both makes and breaks in the switch when i try to tap a tempo, and assigns the max bpm of 250. But not all the time either; sometimes the taps register correctly. (kinda feels like maybe the switch isn't debounced properly or something, though i am sure it is)

So for now, I have my tap set to use the last two taps, and I just keep tapping until i get something reasonable. 🙃

Last edited:
Guys, just to follow up on this - I'm guessing that the wonky external pedal behavior could be affecting my external tap tempo switch too? It seems like the pedal jack is sensing both makes and breaks in the switch when i try to tap a tempo, and assigns the max bpm of 250. But not all the time either; sometimes the taps register correctly. (kinda feels like maybe the switch isn't debounced properly or something, though i am sure it is)

So for now, I have my tap set to use the last two taps, and I just keep tapping until i get something reasonable. 🙃
We might need some info before trying to diagnose:

1. What type of switch is your external? (e.g. Momentary normally closed or normally open)
2. Has the switch from the hardware been configured as momentary or latching?

Plz read the post from my earlier description of external switches for addt'l info...
Found both a video and this thread linked in the video comments...

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...with-external-footswitch.170929/#post-2058347

What was previously lacking was Layout 8 as my UTILITIES. In that layout, I created some Control Switches (CS1 thru CS5) and assigned one switch each to TUNER, TAP TEMPO, and PRESETS.

From that layout, it was possible to navigate back into the front panel's FC Controller/Onboard Switches paged over to Stand-In Switches. From there, I could scroll to Layout 8,. where both my TUNER and (HOME) PRESET was located.

Then, I discovered that in I/O, VIRTUAL TOGGLE causes one to need to tap the switch twice; tweaking that to FOLLOW HARDWARE changed the switch behavior to requiring only 1 tap.

My 2 external switches now serve as a TUNER and HOME button. I've still got a mini-display HOME button on each Layout on the right side, but putting one also to the left side makes it easier in case I might step away from the board (either side) and need to find HOME quickly.

My project for Wednesday will be setting up my Control Switches in Layout 8 for various toggles within the blocks. Although stand-in switches won't allow toggling within blocks yet, the Control Switches likely will. At least, that's what I'm relying on for Wednesday.

EDIT: Will post new thread detailing my journey with Control Switches (1 thru 5), and what I find will or won't jive with block toggles. Will do some reading tonight and also some video research.
The extra info above corrects any previous inaccuracies when using VIRTUAL TOGGLE. Modifying to FOLLOW HARDWARE allows individual taps to toggle, not double-tap as required with VIRTUAL TOGGLE.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom