External pedal for showing Axe tap tempo

Merlin

Experienced
I searched a lot but cannot find a decent pedal for it, i am looking for a little stompbox which i can put in the middle of the rehearsel room so everyone sees the tap tempo of the axe fx. So it only has to light up in the tempo of the delay and i want to connect it on the expression pedal porrt from the axe.

Any ideas?

They make metronomes with a light in them, we tried that once. Just watch your drummers high hat

The idea is that the drummer sees my tempo and not the other way around, so there is a metronome pedal that can recieve my tap tempo fom my axe?

You might be able to do something with MIDI Clock. A quick search found an iPad app (Metronom) that might work if you think going that route is acceptable.

The expression pedal input is just that: an input. It's not going to output signal/power to an external light.

You might be able to do something with MIDI Clock. A quick search found an iPad app (Metronom) that might work if you think going that route is acceptable.

The expression pedal input is just that: an input. It's not going to output signal/power to an external light.

Ok thanks, so i understand correctly that it is not possible to send my tempo to a stombox directly out the Axe, i have seen the solution with the block in the chain, maybe that is the most simple workaround than, sadly i cannot send a blinking signal just sound.

I saw your thread and did a little searching on your behalf. You very kindly shared a couple of Marillion patches with me a long time ago so I wanted to see if I could help. If you search on eBay for 'Visual MIDI Metronome - See The Music!' an item comes up that might help. (Sorry, can't seem to post a link). I can’t vouch for the item or the company and I’m not affiliated with it but it seemed like a potential solution to your situation.

I saw your thread and did a little searching on your behalf. You very kindly shared a couple of Marillion patches with me a long time ago so I wanted to see if I could help. If you search on eBay for 'Visual MIDI Metronome - See The Music!' an item comes up that might help. (Sorry, can't seem to post a link). I can’t vouch for the item or the company and I’m not affiliated with it but it seemed like a potential solution to your situation.

Thanks you very much, very kind, i am gonna check the Visual MIDI Metronome, looks like a nice cheap solution, not sure yet how to connect it to the axe.

Your idea brought me to this

https://www.lasermetronome.com/

looks great also

That's cool, but a real Marillion expert like yourself really wants a genuine 'Mr Blinky', which I believe is/was the Q-Logic MIDI Metro Digital Metronome.

The nerdic work-around trick: Turn up the metronomes volume of an unused output of the III and send that signal to a piece of gear that has an optical display for signals (some input LED, a RTA or alike).

That's cool, but a real Marillion expert like yourself really wants a genuine 'Mr Blinky', which I believe is/was the Q-Logic MIDI Metro Digital Metronome.

Haha you are right, mr blinky is a unit from 1990 and not for sale anywhere in europe :)

Disaster Area SMARTclock?

Thanks, yesterday we made the decision that our drummer gets the role of giving us (singer, keys and quitar) the midiclock from his roland.

Is there a special setting in the axe i need to enable to recieve his midi clock so my delay is in sync with the rest?

I Don't want to put delay on global because some numbers i have to start but he must be able to overrule my delaysetting.

Last edited:
Not sure if you solved this, but if you want to get down with an arduino, it would be very easy to create a project using the Axe FX library to do this.

Thanks, yesterday we made the decision that our drummer gets the role of giving us (singer, keys and quitar) the midiclock from his roland.

Is there a special setting in the axe i need to enable to recieve his midi clock so my delay is in sync with the rest?

I Don't want to put delay on global because some numbers i have to start but he must be able to overrule my delaysetting.
Nope... If Midi beat clock is incoming the Axe Fx will sync the tempo to it.

For an alternative approach:

I use BandHelper on my iPad.
For each song the correct tempo has been entered.
When I select the next song/preset (with my RJM of FC-6) , the iPad's entire screen blinks in time with the tempo.
We've got a small band, the other embers can see my iPad's screen.
So whenever they want to know the tempo of the song, they look at my iPad.

I still have one question, sorry for that, i want my clean patches (delays) to be controlled by the drummer but NOT the lead patches, those i have on a long delay which i want to keep, does anyone know how to do that?

Last edited:
The idea is that the drummer sees my tempo and not the other way around, so there is a metronome pedal that can recieve my tap tempo fom my axe?

Probably the best way to accomplish this is to have a drummer that hears a click in his headphones. Seeing a click is not like hearing it :)
I don’t think the Axe-FX can send audio click though.

Back
Top Bottom