External Pedal Control not working properly

BBN

Fractal Fanatic
I will post a patch later (as my Axe is in my car at the moment), but curious is anyone else has experienced this (or could try this).

I have a Mission pedal going into the back of the Axe (no MFC), and I trigger a Wah/Wammy etc. depending on the patch.
Has worked flawlessly since day 1, but with 11.03 (or possibly any of the 11's) I seem to be having an issue.
I have the block set to 'un-bypass' when the pedal is touched.....but it's not 'un-bypassing' the block until my Expression pedal is like 1/3 engaged.
I can watch the 'control' knob in the block moving perfectly with my Mission pedal (as soon as I move the pedal slightly, the 'control' knob on the face of my Axe is showing the movement).....and that seems to be registering perfectly. BUT the block is not activating right away. I have recalibrated my Mission pedal to be safe.
Haven't touched any settings, and all my patches that use an Expression pedal are doing the same thing.
Anyone else experiencing this? (using the Exp. Pedal 1/4 input on the Axe....not the MFC)

Again, I'll post a patch later, but just wanted to throw this out as soon as I could.

Autoengage engages based on speed now, so you're probably not moving the pedal quickly enough to engage in the first 1/3.

I agree with this being a bug. I have a Mission EP 1 spring loaded that I use for auto engaging the wah. Since the update I have to move the wah quickly to get it to engage which can sound very naff on a slow solo where I want to just rock the wah gently. If I do rock it slowly it doesn't engage, even though I can see the movement registering in the control screen. Would love this to be fixed. Thanks.

I don't understand.

Because some uses of the pitch block require a certain amount of 'touch'. And if I move it before I 'need' it, I will sometimes skip right over the 'range' of pitch I was trying to use for the effect.

It's not about the pedal not registering (so that touching it early will 'wake up' the auto engage. It's that it's not working unless I'm 1/3 the way down on my pedal. Seems to have nothing to do with the speed of how I push the pedal....but will have to try it again to see. I will say though, I've never had this issue in the past, and I use the whammy and wah every single night, the same way.

Said another way, if using a pitch block and I have to push my pedal (even quickly), then I miss the first part of the dive (if using a whammy dive bomb effect).
And the result is me moving my foot....no dive...no dive...no dive....then boom, it dives really quickly through an entire octave (more or less).

Not sure if that is making sense, but if I delicately move through the first 1/3 of the pedal, I can see the control registering, but the auto engage is NOT turning on.
Then boom, it turns on when I'm 1/3 of the way through my dive bomb, and its no longer 'sweeping' down...it just jumps down a to wherever my foot now is.

Same problem with Wah and Whammy.

If I can see the 'control' registering, and the auto engage is not kicking in....then this seems it has to be a bug? (with all due respect to the FAS team....don't mean that to come off presumptuous)

Last edited:
If I can see the 'control' registering, and the auto engage is not kicking in....then this seems it has to be a bug? (with all due respect to the FAS team....don't mean that to come off presumptuous)

If you're not moving the pedal fast enough (more than 5% in a 20 ms interval) it won't engage, so it might just be that--autoengage working as stated since 11.01.

If you move the pedal very slowly from 0 to 100%, does it still engage around 1/3? I'm finding it pretty easy to move a Roland EV-5 through the full range without engaging.

As long as we're talking about this: I don't like the new autoengage. It sounded like a good idea, but after trying it I'd rather have autoengage like earlier firmwares or the Axe 1. Except make the on threshold equal to the off value. Cross 5% upward, effect turns on. Stay below 5% for some time, effect turns off. Or at least give some option to disable or greatly lower the speed threshold.

If you're not moving the pedal fast enough (more than 5% in a 20 ms interval) it won't engage, so it might just be that--autoengage working as stated since 11.01.

If you move the pedal very slowly from 0 to 100%, does it still engage around 1/3? I'm finding it pretty easy to move a Roland EV-5 through the full range without engaging.

As long as we're talking about this: I don't like the new autoengage. It sounded like a good idea, but after trying it I'd rather have autoengage like earlier firmwares or the Axe 1. Except make the on threshold equal to the off value. Cross 5% upward, effect turns on. Stay below 5% for some time, effect turns off. Or at least give some option to disable or greatly lower the speed threshold.

Yup, I can move slowly through the full range without it engaging.
So you're right....working as stated in V11.....and I will second the statement that I'm not finding it very effective this way.

For the next release I'm going to expand the Autoengage choices so that you can choose to engage as it does currently or simply when it crosses the threshold. Or make it a Global option.

Thanks for that. I also use Auto-Engage for my Wah, and have been ecstatic about the way in which it worked before this new change that was made to the sensitivity. The whole machine is based on Options that each user can customize to make this box his own. And now, in the next firmware, you're carrying that heritage into the Auto-Engage settings too. Kudos.

Thanks, the choice will be nice. Would it be possible to add more options for disengage delay? I've found MED (333 ms) is slightly too fast at times, but SLOW (1000 ms) is far too slow. With fine adjustment someone could set the time equal to a song tempo and have disengage sound a bit less random: move to 0% a beat before the next part without wah/whatever and it turns off exactly on the next beat.

For the next release I'm going to expand the Autoengage choices so that you can choose to engage as it does currently or simply when it crosses the threshold. Or make it a Global option.

Can't ask for more than that!

Thank you Cliff.

I completely agree with this.

Back
Top Bottom