External midi to supplement MFC-101 for dedicated scene selection

spv

Inspired
Hi all-

I am trying to add dedicated scene selection to my rig without having to switch back and forth between REVEAL mode and SONG mode. Some songs I play use multiple presets, while others use multiple scenes, and I would like to expand my use of scenes. At some point, I may be able to consolidate presets like Moke has described and use setlist mode with REVEAL on all the time, but I have a number of legacy presets that I use in combination during certain songs.

Interestingly, my current workaround is to use expression pedals to simulate “scene” changes in many of my presets by connecting many of the blocks in my presets to the same controllers (bypass, levels, modifiers). This obviously makes programming a bit more complex but works really well live, e.g., I can throw a pedal forward and engage a harmonizer, boost volume a couple dB and change the amp power saturation all at the same time. If there were a way to engage a scene with an expression pedal (eg, external 1 switches scene 2 on, external 2 turns on scene 3), that would also get the job done!

I have read most of the threads here, and it seems like a Morningstar MC6 might do the trick. (I already have a disaster area designs Gen2 dmc-8d which doesn’t appear to have the flexibility to send CC messages- if anyone has figured out how to use the dmc here I’d love to know how you did it!)

Three questions:

1. Can the Axe FX accept two midi controllers?
2. Can scenes be engaged thru pedals (just like the bypass states on blocks are)?
3. Is it possible to use FASLINK for the MFC-101 and connect a second controller through midi in on the Axe FX?
4. Are there other creative solutions people have found here to “bypass” REVEAL mode and use scenes in a seamless way?

Thanks for any ideas —I really appreciate the great insights on this forum!

Scenes are controlled by midi CC #34 (by default) with specific data values 0-7 (actually, any valid modulo 8 from 0-127) mapped to scenes 1-8.

Whatever controller you use, make sure it allows assigning data values to the CC. Many older and/or simpler ones don't... They send either 0 or 127 (for general off or on).

The MC-6 works as well as various models that @voes created.

As for how you connect them, I'll defer to others as I haven't done it myself.

Are you using Reveal mode only to access scenes? If so, why not just assign scenes onto your "main" layout?

I almost never use Reveal. I have 8 scenes, 5 presets and 4 IAs on the main mode.

...but I have a number of legacy presets that I use in combination during certain songs...

Have you looked into the "Song" function/feature of the MFC? It allows you to link together multiple presets and save them as a single song. (Most easily set up with MFC-Edit). While playing, you can select those individual presets with the front row buttons. For example, a song might start with preset #100, then pressing switch #2 can bring up preset #243 for the bridge, then hitting switch #3 can pull up your solo lead tone in preset #12. And switch #4 might be preset #85 with the special effects use on the outro of the song.

I usually use scenes within a single preset, but I have separate presets for each song. (A lot of those are copies of each other, with minor tweaks and saves with new song-specific names.) But I've got a few songs where it was easier to link together three or four separate presets than to try to create a preset what would do all the sounds I need for that song.

Since I've got everything set up to be song-specific, I save set lists on my MFC, and just use the Up/Down switches to switch to the next song in the set. If we decide to switch things up in the middle of a set, I'll just use the rotary selector on the AFX to dial up the song.

Oh, and I run all night with Reveal switched on, except for the few songs where I've linked separate present.

Reactions: spv
1. Can the Axe FX accept two midi controllers?
Yes, but you need a MIDI merger or one of the midi controllers needs a MIDI THRU interface

2. Can scenes be engaged thru pedals (just like the bypass states on blocks are)?
Yes, CC34 (default) with a value 0-7 -> scene 1-8

3. Is it possible to use FASLINK for the MFC-101 and connect a second controller through midi in on the Axe FX?
I'm not sure, but since you have a dmc-8d, can't you try it? If so, please let us know if it's possible.

4. Are there other creative solutions people have found here to “bypass” REVEAL mode and use scenes in a seamless way?
My Voes MC-5jr, MC-5 or MC-10 would do the job for you.

Reactions: spv
Have you looked into the "Song" function/feature of the MFC? It allows you to link together multiple presets and save them as a single song. (Most easily set up with MFC-Edit). While playing, you can select those individual presets with the front row buttons. For example, a song might start with preset #100, then pressing switch #2 can bring up preset #243 for the bridge, then hitting switch #3 can pull up your solo lead tone in preset #12. And switch #4 might be preset #85 with the special effects use on the outro of the song.

I usually use scenes within a single preset, but I have separate presets for each song. (A lot of those are copies of each other, with minor tweaks and saves with new song-specific names.) But I've got a few songs where it was easier to link together three or four separate presets than to try to create a preset what would do all the sounds I need for that song.

Since I've got everything set up to be song-specific, I save set lists on my MFC, and just use the Up/Down switches to switch to the next song in the set. If we decide to switch things up in the middle of a set, I'll just use the rotary selector on the AFX to dial up the song.

Oh, and I run all night with Reveal switched on, except for the few songs where I've linked separate present.

I use quite a similar approach (song mode with 3-4 presets for complex songs). The one drawback (other than remembering to engage and disengage reveal when alternating between multiscene presets and multipreset songs) is the audio drops that occur switching presets. I can usually time those pretty well with the music so they are not really noticeable, and with similar enough amp blocks they seem to occur quickly enough...

Back
Top Bottom