External midi footswitch recomendations.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a midi footswitch, ideally 6-8 button to purely control scene switching.

The plan is to leave the AX8 in effect switching mode allowing X/Y switching, yet have the ability to change scenes without having to toggle back and forth.

I could probably get away with just using 4 scenes but a 6 button one would def be enough.

Has anyone done this?

Cheers guys.

Awesome, that's pretty much the picture I had in my head, was it difficult to program up? assuming its a different midi message for every scene in every preset?
Also assuming you are using midi in and out so it follows presets off the AX8?

Very cool :)

I also use the little voes Midi controller. It works perfect. Mine came pre-programmed for switching scenes 1-5, no matter which preset on the AX8 is active.There’s an editor to program it....or you tell on your order what you want to use it for, and it comes pre-programmed.
Absolute recommendation!

Awesome, that's pretty much the picture I had in my head, was it difficult to program up? assuming its a different midi message for every scene in every preset?
Also assuming you are using midi in and out so it follows presets off the AX8?

Very cool :)

It came programmed for scenes 1-5 (just ask when ordering). It can be programmed to do other stuff but does not have a Mac editor (PC only - at least when I ordered mine). It only sends, it doesn't receive so if for example you switched scenes via AX8 edit, the unit wouldn't know. In practice this is not a problem, works perfectly.

I have both the Morningstar MC-6 and the Voes MC-5jr. The MC-6 is a lot more flexible with it's screen and if what you're really after is selecting scenes 1-5 then the MC-5jr is pretty much perfect in its simplicity. You could also do something like Scene 1-4 and use button 5 as an external switch (or hard coded to Filter1, Delay1, ...) if you wanted to use that as your lead boost for all scenes. But I leave it on default Scene 1-5 and the form factor and everything is just spot on.

The Ax8 doesn't send midi signals so it's not possible in any external Midi controller to receive messages unfortunately. Hopefully this will be addressed in a future update so external controllers can update their state based on what's happening on the Ax8.

The Ax8 doesn't send midi signals so it's not possible in any external Midi controller to receive messages unfortunately. Hopefully this will be addressed in a future update so external controllers can update their state based on what's happening on the Ax8.

Are you sure about that? I thought the AX8 would send midi signals (it has a midi out)? What it is capable of sending is another question..

Are you sure about that? I thought the AX8 would send midi signals (it has a midi out)? What it is capable of sending is another question..

You can program the Ax8 to send specific midi messages when you change scenes, for instance to change channel on an amp. But if you change preset, it will send nothing, if you enable or disable the Drive block, it will send nothing, and so on. The Axe Fx 2 does send these messages so an external midi controller like the Mastermind GT can update itself when you change preset, or when a scene change the state of a block. But this is unfortunately not possible with the Ax8.

With the MC-5jr using scenes, it is only slightly annoying if you for instance select Scene 3 on the MC-5jr, change preset on the Ax8, Scene 3 will still be highlighted on the MC-5jr when really Scene 1 is active. If you don't use scenes and use a lot of blocks with the midi controller, it will get more annoying - lets say you program the Morningstar MC6 with say Drive, Delay, PanTrem, Rotary, Chorus & Phaser as the main 6 buttons. You hit a few buttons and then select a different preset on the Ax8, there's no way for the MC6 to tell if any of these blocks are available in the new preset, or if they are enabled or disabled, so they will just be left in the state they where in on the MC6 and you have to know if the Drive block for instance is enabled in the new scene and if the state on the MC6 is accurate or not.

Another vote for the Voes MC5jr here, got mine a few months back and the service Patrick gave was first class and the unit is essential for me.

Thanks for all this info guys.

For anyone with the MC-5jr, is it an issue that the unit doesn't "follow" the AX8?
What do you do to overcome this?

Cheers :)

Thanks for all this info guys.

For anyone with the MC-5jr, is it an issue that the unit doesn't "follow" the AX8?
What do you do to overcome this?

Cheers :)

I've never had an issue with it. I only use it for scenes so i just bear in mind it wont show the current scene when you first go to it and i often just tap on that scene so the mc5jr is displaying the correct scene

Had a message back from Patrick saying its gonna be a couple of months before he has parts in for the next batch.
Anyone know of any other midi controllers using a similar layout to the MC-5jr?
Would prefer the same layout so its sits under the AX8.

Cheers guys :)

I have both the Morningstar MC-6 and the Voes MC-5jr. The MC-6 is a lot more flexible with it's screen and if what you're really after is selecting scenes 1-5 then the MC-5jr is pretty much perfect in its simplicity. You could also do something like Scene 1-4 and use button 5 as an external switch (or hard coded to Filter1, Delay1, ...) if you wanted to use that as your lead boost for all scenes. But I leave it on default Scene 1-5 and the form factor and everything is just spot on.

So will the MC-6 change scenes on the AX8?

Steve

So will the MC-6 change scenes on the AX8?

Yes, what I wrote about was the reverse. If Scene 1 is selected on the MC-6 and you select Scene 2 on the Ax8, Scene 1 would still be listed as active on the MC-6. But if you then press Scene 3 on the MC-6, it will change to Scene 3 on the Ax8.

Another Voes MC-5jr user here.
Patrick was great to deal with!
I use it for presets 1-5
I Use the AX8 as instant access switches

Yes, what I wrote about was the reverse. If Scene 1 is selected on the MC-6 and you select Scene 2 on the Ax8, Scene 1 would still be listed as active on the MC-6. But if you then press Scene 3 on the MC-6, it will change to Scene 3 on the Ax8.
Cool

I'll stick it out for a while in the hope Patrick gets some units done, if not then even though the shape isn't ideal for my pedalboard ill give the MC-6 a go.
Does sound like the VOES is the ideal solution though.

Cheers bud.

Has anyone else got an external midi controller working with scenes?

Even an old unit would be good while I'm waiting for the MC-5jr

You can program the Ax8 to send specific midi messages when you change scenes, for instance to change channel on an amp. But if you change preset, it will send nothing, if you enable or disable the Drive block, it will send nothing, and so on.......

Actually, if you program each of your presets to send a midi msg with scene 1, then changing to a new preset will send out the midi msg associated with scene 1 of that preset (since moving to a preset always loads scene 1 of the preset). I use this with a band I'm in to trigger the backing/click track for each song. Every song has it's own preset (even if my sound doesn't change), and I "launch" the song by loading the preset, which sends a unique midi msg to the sequencer to start the click in everyone's IEMs, and off we go. Works great.

Back
Top Bottom