External Looper/OD/Big Sky- MIDI

Cristian

Hey everyone,

So I am in the process of redoing my board to get it setup the way I want it. Right now My signal goes: guitar-Polytune-whammy-wah-JHS sweet tea-FX8 input-4CM with MESA JP2C. I also control my amp via midi. I have noticed that having the overdrive pedal before the compressor changes the tone in a way I don't like, so I want to change that by putting the JHS after the FX8 (pre) output. The reason I bought the FX8 is because of the quality of the effects and ability to press one button and have everything switch including amp channels. I want this same concept to be applied to my external JHS pedal and will also be adding the Big Sky. I cannot achieve the reverb tones I want with the FX8 and I have come to terms with that and will be using the big sky with the fx8. I know I need an external looper with midi functionality to control the JHS pedal. The big sky will be programmed via midi, and will go after the output of the FX8 and into the return of the JP2C. I know the FX8 can send several midi messages per preset so I am not really concerned about that. I plan to use MIDI channel 1-3 to control the amp, big sky, and external lopper that will be connected to the JHS pedal. I have found Sound Sculpture's ABCadabra pedal that seems to do the trick for the external loop functionality I am looking for. I emailed them and was told it should work, but wanted to get second opinions. Another alternative is the RJM mini effects gizmo. I have emailed them but have not heard back yet. Here is what sound sculpture said:

"The ABCadabra has pre-defined programs accessible by MIDI Program change messages. If your FX8 can transmit program messages then you are good to go with the ABCadabra. There is also and internal DIP switch inside the unit that allows you to set the ABCadabra to any MIDI channel. The ABC can be set up to insert your overdrive into the audio chain. You would need what's called an "insert cable" which is a stereo plug on one side that goes into the ABCadabra B jack and 2 regular jacks on the other that plug into the input and output of the overdrive. Then using one program you can insert the effect and using another you can remove it".

Heres the link to that pedal:
http://www.soundsculpture.com/abcadabra

So ideally, the new signal path would look like this:

Guitar----polytune----whammy---wah----FX8 in (pre)----FX8 (pre) Out----ABCadabra Common Jack----ABCadabra jack A----Mesa Input----Mesa Send----FX8 In (post)----FX8 out (post)----Big Sky In----Big Sky Out---- Mesa Return

Midi path would look like this

FX8 Out/Thru----Big Sky In----Big Sky Out---- ABCadabra In---- ABCadabra Thru---- Mesa In.

I know that this is a lot of information. I just want to be sure all of this will work before I buy anything else. I also plan on using humbuster cables. Let me know what your thoughts are about this and if you think it will work. I have included a picture of my board right now (ignore the right side board).

Thanks,

Cristian

rsz_1img_1797.jpg

Last edited:
I run a fx8 mark ii with a big sky and external frantzen overdrive/boost pedal.
The buffers r amazing in the fx8. I control bigsky thru midi on fx8. I have a soul press expression pedal by hotone. I like having the external boost and overdrive outside the unit. My fav pedal made by my fav amp builder. You should have no problem doing what u need. Also check out voodoo lab hex switcher. Very transparent

The buffers r amazing in the fx8. I control bigsky thru midi on fx8. I have a soul press expression pedal by hotone. I like having the external boost and overdrive outside the unit. My fav pedal made by my fav amp builder. You should have no problem doing what u need. Also check out voodoo lab hex switcher. Very transparent

Hey thanks for the response. I really like my overdrive pedal too. Do you use the HEX?

Hi guys, what can the bigsky do better than the built in fx8 effects? So curious because they are already amazing IMO!

Do you use the HEX? Mini effects gizmo is another option.

Hi guys, what can the bigsky do better than the built in fx8 effects? So curious because they are already amazing IMO!

Hey, it's hard to describe but the very lush cloud puff reverb sounds can't really be achieved on the FX8 because of the effects routing or something like that.

I really like my big sky. And it frees up space on Fx8 as well. So than I can put other pedals on Fx8. I had a hex and sold it. My next adventure is to put Fx8 and big sky in rack and control the units from another midi device. Rjm mastermind gt or the fractal midi mc

Hey everyone,

So I am in the process of redoing my board to get it setup the way I want it. Right now My signal goes: guitar-Polytune-whammy-wah-JHS sweet tea-FX8 input-4CM with MESA JP2C. I also control my amp via midi. I have noticed that having the overdrive pedal before the compressor changes the tone in a way I don't like, so I want to change that by putting the JHS after the FX8 (pre) output. The reason I bought the FX8 is because of the quality of the effects and ability to press one button and have everything switch including amp channels. I want this same concept to be applied to my external JHS pedal and will also be adding the Big Sky. I cannot achieve the reverb tones I want with the FX8 and I have come to terms with that and will be using the big sky with the fx8. I know I need an external looper with midi functionality to control the JHS pedal. The big sky will be programmed via midi, and will go after the output of the FX8 and into the return of the JP2C. I know the FX8 can send several midi messages per preset so I am not really concerned about that. I plan to use MIDI channel 1-3 to control the amp, big sky, and external lopper that will be connected to the JHS pedal. I have found Sound Sculpture's ABCadabra pedal that seems to do the trick for the external loop functionality I am looking for. I emailed them and was told it should work, but wanted to get second opinions. Another alternative is the RJM mini effects gizmo. I have emailed them but have not heard back yet. Here is what sound sculpture said:

"The ABCadabra has pre-defined programs accessible by MIDI Program change messages. If your FX8 can transmit program messages then you are good to go with the ABCadabra. There is also and internal DIP switch inside the unit that allows you to set the ABCadabra to any MIDI channel. The ABC can be set up to insert your overdrive into the audio chain. You would need what's called an "insert cable" which is a stereo plug on one side that goes into the ABCadabra B jack and 2 regular jacks on the other that plug into the input and output of the overdrive. Then using one program you can insert the effect and using another you can remove it".

Heres the link to that pedal:
http://www.soundsculpture.com/abcadabra

So ideally, the new signal path would look like this:

Guitar----polytune----whammy---wah----FX8 in (pre)----FX8 (pre) Out----ABCadabra Common Jack----ABCadabra jack A----Mesa Input----Mesa Send----FX8 In (post)----FX8 out (post)----Big Sky In----Big Sky Out---- Mesa Return

Midi path would look like this

FX8 Out/Thru----Big Sky In----Big Sky Out---- ABCadabra In---- ABCadabra Thru---- Mesa In.

I know that this is a lot of information. I just want to be sure all of this will work before I buy anything else. I also plan on using humbuster cables. Let me know what your thoughts are about this and if you think it will work. I have included a picture of my board right now (ignore the right side board).

Thanks,

Cristian

View attachment 39434

wow! nice board!

Hey everyone. So I finally got everything working with the FX8 and the Big Sky and my JP2C. Everything is working via midi. I don't use scenes. I use presets as I like to title each preset differently for playing sets. I send a PC midi message in scene one of every preset to control the amp, and then I have a midi block with PC messages sent to the Big Sky on a different midi channel to control presets. The only issue I am having is I can only have two presets recalled on the big sky. That is because the midi block does not engage by itself unless it is triggered. So what I do is certain presets have the midi block on with a certain PC midi message, and the others have midi block off with a different PC midi message and that way I can control two different presets on the big sky without having to physically engage the button on the midi block with the board. The goal behind all of this is to have the preset recall all my settings because I sing live and don't want to have to press more than one button. Does anyone have any insight on this to use more than just two presets on the big sky? Everything else is working great. I didn't end up getting a looper for the sweet tea because I am not sure I can fit it. Also I don't know how the FX8 can control another midi device especially if I can't trigger midi blocks on their own. Thanks for the help.

Cristian

rsz_img_2134.jpg

IMG_1031.JPG I'm was doing the running of big sky thru the Fx8, thinking of just doing it manually. No biggie. Sounds amazing.

Hey everyone. So I finally got everything working with the FX8 and the Big Sky and my JP2C. Everything is working via midi. I don't use scenes. I use presets as I like to title each preset differently for playing sets. I send a PC midi message in scene one of every preset to control the amp, and then I have a midi block with PC messages sent to the Big Sky on a different midi channel to control presets. The only issue I am having is I can only have two presets recalled on the big sky. That is because the midi block does not engage by itself unless it is triggered. So what I do is certain presets have the midi block on with a certain PC midi message, and the others have midi block off with a different PC midi message and that way I can control two different presets on the big sky without having to physically engage the button on the midi block with the board. The goal behind all of this is to have the preset recall all my settings because I sing live and don't want to have to press more than one button. Does anyone have any insight on this to use more than just two presets on the big sky? Everything else is working great. I didn't end up getting a looper for the sweet tea because I am not sure I can fit it. Also I don't know how the FX8 can control another midi device especially if I can't trigger midi blocks on their own. Thanks for the help.

Cristian

View attachment 40005

Put both the amp and big sky on the same MIDI channel. Send the MIDI to the Big Sky and use its MIDI through to forward the PCs to the amp. Send a PC from the FX8 to the Big Sky to recall the preset you want to use and change then save the amp states when it receives those PCs. So multiple PCs will recall the same amp settings. Something like:

PC 0 = ch1, eq off, Big Sky preset 1
PC 1 = ch1, eq off, Big Sky preset 2
PC 2 = ch1, eq off, Big Sky preset 3
Etc

Put both the amp and big sky on the same MIDI channel. Send the MIDI to the Big Sky and use its MIDI through to forward the PCs to the amp. Send a PC from the FX8 to the Big Sky to recall the preset you want to use and change then save the amp states when it receives those PCs. So multiple PCs will recall the same amp settings. Something like:

PC 0 = ch1, eq off, Big Sky preset 1
PC 1 = ch1, eq off, Big Sky preset 2
PC 2 = ch1, eq off, Big Sky preset 3
Etc

Dude yes! That should work thank you so much. I'm gonna try it out today.

Back
Top Bottom