External Footswitch Assignments - Does this make good sense for live playing?

Mr.Modeler

Inspired
Have a Boss FS-7 and a Morningstar MC6. Was thinking of setting them up as below. Looking for advice on what to do with the FM's 3 footswitches too.

Boss FS-7:
Preset + and Preset -

Morningstar MC6 to be configured as follows:
A: Scene Up
B: Scene Down
C: Flanger On/Off
D: Drive On/Off
E: Delay On/Off
F: Chorus On/Off

What do you all think? I don't need a tuner switch now that Fractal's implemented Heel Down. I could use the FM3's two outside switches for Scene +/- and assign the Morningstar's A and B to other blocks in the chain like compression or boost. Trying to setup this up right the first time :)

I think it's fine but performance setups are really individual. I can't count the number of times I thought I had my setup nailed for performance (real pedal, modelers, whatever) and then discovered half way through a rehearsal or performance "this doesn't work well at all".

Try it out and run through your set. The only way to know if it works for you is to perform with it.

The real answer is: what works for you? Your setup totally makes sense, but nobody else can know what's the right set up for your needs. If those are the effects and functions you use the most / most want access to, then there's your answer.

It makes sense for me and is based around how I've setup other floor modelers. Just wanted to see if I was missing something crucial or others had suggestions that worked for them. Won't be playing live for a while or even rehearsing, we're going into another shutdown for a month. Jeez.

If it works, it works! I'm not sure what your main FM3 buttons are doing during this time. An alternate idea on things could be to use a mostly static layout on the FM3. Ditch the morningstar and use the FS-7 to go View +/- and Preset +/- on hold. The View +/- could take you to the ABC or DEF sequence you have above but with the FM3 buttons instead.

The above is kinda how I have mine configured. I'm a minimalist with the FM3.

It makes sense for me and is based around how I've setup other floor modelers. Just wanted to see if I was missing something crucial or others had suggestions that worked for them. Won't be playing live for a while or even rehearsing, we're going into another shutdown for a month. Jeez.
Consider that this is a bit like asking “what kind of music should I listen to?” It totally depends on your preferences and needs, which we don’t know.

What you’ve posted will work if you need those items and are ok with going up and down Scenes and Presets one by one rather than choosing them directly.

Without knowing what you play, what you do during a performance, and other details, it’s difficult to suggest anything. This is a bit of trial and error that only you can determine. My setup probably would not work for you at all, for example.

FS1: Tap: Multidelay on/off | Hold: Filter 2 on/off
FS2: Tap: Scene 1/2 Toggle | Hold: Scene 3/6 Toggle
FS3: Tap: Tempo | Hold: Tuner

It’s also difficult to suggest things because there are so many options. Many of us have answered questions like this, only to have the person get mad at the suggestions because they don’t do any of what we’ve suggested.

No one here is trying to be difficult or not help, but this question is hard to answer or to give suggestions without knowing what you do or need.

I'm also running a Morningstar MC6 with my FM3 and, as luck would have it, I was playing a gig and had scene down on A and scene up on C (the outer most switches in the first row). I went to do a scene down and inadvertently hit A & B at the same time (which is bank down on my MC6). I launched into the next phase of the song, not knowing I just banked down to a bunch of EMPTY switches, and suddenly WTF, 'where am I?' when I hit the next note.
It totally threw me for a loop in the song.
Just wanted to throw the MC6 'double switch' thing out there just in case it happens to you.

I'm also running a Morningstar MC6 with my FM3 and, as luck would have it, I was playing a gig and had scene down on A and scene up on C (the outer most switches in the first row). I went to do a scene down and inadvertently hit A & B at the same time (which is bank down on my MC6). I launched into the next phase of the song, not knowing I just banked down to a bunch of EMPTY switches, and suddenly WTF, 'where am I?' when I hit the next note.
It totally threw me for a loop in the song.
Just wanted to throw the MC6 'double switch' thing out there just in case it happens to you.
I’ve turned that off in the settings for the MC6 as I was worried I’d do exactly what you did.

Looks like a good setup, but I would add a tap tempo ... maybe on a hold setting.
Tap Tempo is extremely hard to use when it’s assigned to a hold function. And you won’t be able to tap in fast tempos at all.

Have a Boss FS-7 and a Morningstar MC6. Was thinking of setting them up as below. Looking for advice on what to do with the FM's 3 footswitches too.

Boss FS-7:
Preset + and Preset -

Morningstar MC6 to be configured as follows:
A: Scene Up
B: Scene Down
C: Flanger On/Off
D: Drive On/Off
E: Delay On/Off
F: Chorus On/Off

What do you all think? I don't need a tuner switch now that Fractal's implemented Heel Down. I could use the FM3's two outside switches for Scene +/- and assign the Morningstar's A and B to other blocks in the chain like compression or boost. Trying to setup this up right the first time :)
Hi.
What's on your FM3 switches?

Hi.
What's on your FM3 switches?
Layout 1, View 1: LB=Scene +1 (hold for View +1), MB=Tuner, RB=Scene -1 (Hold for View -1)
Layout 1, View 2: LB=Looper Start (hold for View +1), Looper Play/Stop, RB=Looper Erase (Hold for View -1)
The rest are per factory except the Master Layout where I've added Stand-in switch functions for my Boss FS-7 which is set to Preset + and Preset -.

Tap Tempo is extremely hard to use when it’s assigned to a hold function. And you won’t be able to tap in fast tempos at all.
You are so right ... don't know what I was thinking. I know this!! Maybe too much eggnog yesterday.:oops:

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom