External EQ with the Axe

claxor

Power User
How many of you guys prefer to use eq pre or post gain that is not inside the Axefx? For example, eq pedals or eq rack gear with the Axefx?

How many of you guys prefer to use eq pre or post gain that is not inside the Axefx? For example, eq pedals or eq rack gear with the Axefx?

What would be the advantage of using an EQ before the Axe vs. a PEQ / GEQ first on the grid?

What would be the advantage of using an EQ before the Axe vs. a PEQ / GEQ first on the grid?

It may sound better, for whatever reason to the person, perhaps. Or not.

I've seen some complicated Axefx setups here with external equipment (one with multiple external eq devices), and I was curious if anyone else gets better results for some things using other eq devices.

It may sound better, for whatever reason to the person, perhaps. Or not.

I've seen some complicated Axefx setups here with external equipment (one with multiple external eq devices), and I was curious if anyone else gets better results for some things using other eq devices.

In my opinion, the primary benefit of an external EQ is more bands, though unless you're using the Behringer DEQ2496, you'll likely be using a graphic EQ, which is fine, though the Q isn't adjustable. The disadvantage of using most external EQ's (DEQ2496 aside) is the lack of preset store/recall capability. For shaping the input signal, an EQ pedal can come in handy, though. You can do the same thing in the Axe, but you don't need to add an EQ to the front of the chain for every preset with an external unit.

Last edited:
Maybe that person prefers to use an external EQ for global settings live? Rather then dive into menus on stage he'd rather use an external EQ?

Maybe that person prefers to use an external EQ for global settings live? Rather then dive into menus on stage he'd rather use an external EQ?

Maybe, however the Axe's global EQ is literally 2 button pushes away, assuming you're using Output 1, that is. You simply press the Global button on the front panel, then Page right. Tabs are persistent, so if it's the last tab that was accessed in the Global menu, you don't even need to press the Page right button to access it again. Simply press the Global button once and you're there.

I used to have the Source Audio programmable EQ pedals (Good enough for Gilmour...) but found no real need for them with the Axe, it gave all the Tone shaping I could need and easy to switch on the fly. Didn’t make sense to try to deal with midi changes etc.

I use a couple of external fuzz pedals, but for things like EQ I don’t see an personal benefit running outboard gear.

Back
Top Bottom