Votes: 44 32.6%
  • No

Votes: 59 43.7%
  • Never Tried But Might in Future

Votes: 25 18.5%
  • Never Even Thought About It

Votes: 12 8.9%

• Total voters
I've never used any external effects with Axe FX II. Few weeks ago I bought a vintage Ibanez DDL digital delay only to find it sounds EXACTLY like "Vintage Digital Delay" on the Axe FX II. I also bought a vintage EHX Small Stone V2 just to replicate it on my Axe. Haven't tested it out yet but will most probably get close enough to be able to sell it.

So yes, I've been thinking of using external effects if I only can find something my Axe FX can't do. I'm getting my Ext4MFC modded with 4 turning knobs tomorrow so I can now tweak phaser or tremolo speed from my pedalboard on the fly just like in real pedals. Bliss.

Last edited:
When I first got mine (3+ years ago) I plugged a few of my boutique pedals into the front and tried to emulate those with the Axe. I never considered actually using the pedals on a gig. That's when I learned that the Axe amp models sounded so amazing, I rarely needed to add a pedal to get what I was hearing in my head. This urge passed quickly.

Having said that - I recently bought a Tech 21 BoostComp for my backup 'board. It's an amazing pedal. I plan on plugging that in to see how it sounds and attempt to create a clone. Sounds easy enough...

But my take on this is simple. It's an amazing unit on its own and makes me immune from my former boutique OD GAS. I don't miss a thing. Especially the confusion...

Xotic RC Booster .

Did you try to replicate that sound with the Axe fx drive model Esoteric RCB? I 'discovered' this drive model only since this week. Didn't know it was in the Axe. I only know the real pedal from Youtube videos but I like what I am hearing. Since I have never owned the real thing I have no idea if the Axe fx model comes close? would like to know that.

Yes the RC Booster pedal is really nice... My fav pedal actually... I tried the RCB model and the BB (which I've had in the past) but I didn't seem to be able to get where I wanted to go with either at the time... That was late Fw16 / early FW17 if I rem correctly, I believe the drives are much better now, I haven't tried them since... The axe fx takes external pedals very well tho, so that's a good thing!...

Last edited:
Just got a JD Echoplex EP101 Preamp that I've been messing around with and really like. It's a subtle effect, but it does give a certain boost, warmth and bite that's really cool.

Also, sometimes I get lazy and still use an MXR EVH Flanger. I still like this box's creaminess, although I've got the AxeFX's flanger dialed in pretty damn close. I run both in front of the AxeFX.

Been thinking about trying an EHX C8 and / or C9. I would like to see these and more "synth" type effects in the AxeFX.

Curious, is this because you find the Strymons easier to tweak (they have great presets!) or is it because you genuinely can't achieve those sounds with the reverb / delay / multidelay blocks?

Sometimes I just miss the instant inspiration of the presets, and being able to find a cool preset, twist a knob or two and be playing. I know the Axe is more than capable of pretty much any fx out there, but sometimes I just don't want to build out a complicated fx chain, tweak, balance levels etc. it's more of a workflow thing, plus like you said, they have fantastic presets. I'm one of the ones who wishes the Axe more stuff in a singular block with pertinent controls on the front page so if you want a shimmer verb, you add the block, tweak a bit and go. I understand why it isn't that way and am in no way griping, it's just a wish.

Most of the time I just use axe. But I have a pedal board as well and sometimes a wah, whammy or volume pedal or overdrive is fun to use in front

I use a Two Notes Torpedo CAB in the effect loop and I'm currently waiting for a Protone Variable Attack Overdrive that I'm planning to use in front of the Axe if I like it.

Never been a huge fan of the Axe Fx II CAB block. It's the huge downside of the Axe Fx for me (and don't get me wrong, I love it). The stock cabs doesn't sounds great for what I'm doing (but there's been updates since) and I found better results with stock cabs in the Torpedo CAB. I may try some Fractal Cab Pack but I don't find the Cab import process very handy on the Axe Fx... So I might stick with the Torpedo Cab which works just fine for me.

And for the OD, there is such a huge hype around these Protone blackmagic pedals that I want to try and see how it compares to the Axe Drive block.

I use the Boss volume pedal into the pedal jack on the back of the Axe and so I can turn down only the volume without losing the overdriven tone. Sustain still works then and it just goes less loud. I've tried a couple of drive pedals but Axe was better sounding with they own drive pedals. But now I came accross 2 pedals I'v ordered and waiting to arrive. It's the Xotic AC Comp and the Xotic EP Booster which seem to me very good to give my presets just more open sound and some shimmer. On tube amps it sounds fantastic and I think it could be a great addition to the drive pedals in the Axe. If it does not work I can return it within 30 days so I'll give it a go. Here is a vid with Allen Hinds demoing them:

Question, will a tone pro OD pedal work well if I'm using a Tube Power amp with the Axe Fx II.

**Please don't go into what power amp sounds better or that you use the matrix cause the axe fx is not a tube pre amp**

I like the harsh highs and boldness of the mesa Power I have, I'm just uncertain that I'll get the overdrive punch as the tonepro pedal delivering but with an Axe Fx verse your standard tube amp.

(Already tried the 808 and it's to beefy although it's such a killer sound, also tried mid boost drive, but it's way to midish with a huge low cut)

If the tonepro pedal is not a good idea for a digital preamp, what drive block will get me close to a Tonepro drive?

Last edited:
Your using a fuzz in your effects loop?? Interesting. I get the impression that you hear more fuzz then distortion. More like a fuzzy lofi effect?? I could be wrong.

In my fx loop i have Zvex Fuzz factory, a digitech talker, EH Super Ego amd a Phase 90...

You don't get a ton of noise running that fuzz in the loop?

OP:
I have about 30 pedals, but when I think about adding a pedal board to the MFC + expression setup I start thinking about setting up at gigs. Playing keyboard + guitar and having a huge board with huge amps in the past has made me appreciate the compactness of the axe rig. Kind of want to keep it that way. I'll eventually make a small board for effects that can't be done in the Axe (Freeze, Fuzz, Weird delays), but for now I'm getting everything I need.

Update update! I've changed from no external pedals to using a vintage Jen Cry Baby wah, Dunlop JHF1 Fuzz Face mini and a Fuzz Factory clone. Front input. I just find there's some magic dust in all of them that the Axe can't replicate. Still the best of both worlds, so I'm happy.

Last edited:
Yep, in the FX Loop send/return I use Darkglass B7K, EHX POG2 and a beatbuddy (though this is not really an effect and only used during practice sessions) everything can be included/excluded or controlled via MIDI (MFC-101 and 4 external switches). Essentially I have stuff that I cannot replicate in the Axe-FX, so far those are the only three things I have encountered that I needed and could not do.

I use a Cry Baby 535 and ART opto compressor in front sometimes and it works well. when I am feeling really randy, I throw an mxr bass octave pedal in the fx loop so that I can really play with sound in creative ways.

Back
Top Bottom