• No

Votes: 59 43.7%
  • Never Tried But Might in Future

Votes: 25 18.5%
  • Never Even Thought About It

Votes: 12 8.9%

• Total voters

roverdog

Does anyone use their favourite effect pedals or units with their Axe? If so Do you place them before the input or use the FX loop, or a combination of both?

I've used my Fulltone Octafuzz before the front panel input with very good results, but never tried using anything through the FX Loop.

I've used fuzz & dirt pedals into the front and an Eventide H9 in the loop with great results for both.

When the need arises for me to make organ noises I'll throw my EHX HOG2 in the loop. I'll sometime use it for cello sounds as well, but I can pull off a close enough cello tone with the synth block, that the hassle of hooking up outboard gear is not worth it.

Electro-Harmonix Soul Food modded by JHS Pedals, Barber Electronics Gain Changer. Both sound absolutely stellar through numerous amps.

I use my ZVEX Mastotron Fuzz in front of the Axe-Fx. That's it. I don't feel like the fuzzes in the Axe-Fx are 100% there, yet.

I use my ZVEX Mastotron Fuzz in front of the Axe-Fx. That's it. I don't feel like the fuzzes in the Axe-Fx are 100% there, yet.

I'm currently working on duplicating my most-often used effects so that I can leave them in the gear-pr0n closet and just use the Axe-FX. Some things have been pretty easy to dial in in order to get into the ballpark of replicating the pedal.

One thing in particular has been rather vexing: The Prescription Electronics Experience Pedal.
It is basically a Foxx Tone Machine with an added (and quasi-usable/predictable) "Swell" function. I'm not interested in the "Swell" aspect as that is easy to do in the Axe and the Axe is better at it.
I want to duplicate 4 modes:
1) Trebly Fuzz. Similar in sound to a Fuzz Face
1a) Trebly Fuzz (same settings) with the Octave engaged
2) Very Bass-y Fuzz. Closer to a Big Muff Pi, but not quite that
2a) Very Bass-y Fuzz with Octave Engaged.

It took me 4 hours to dial in #1 and then another hour to get 1a. This is the first time that I ever tried to replicate one of my distortion pedals and that added to the needed amount of time.
I spent much more time, maybe 8 hours, programming #2. I want to keep the usage of blocks to a minimum so that I can easily share these. I got nowhere with the Fuzz Face Model and closer with the Rat. I then went with the Muff Pi model and that was much closer. I had to get the last 10% by using Tone Matching and this worked rather well. #2 is now 2 blocks.
I've been farting around with 2a for a couple of days now and the results have been unsatisfactory. I really like having 1 and 1a set up as X/Y in a block. It's just like the real pedal in use. I'm having to engage 2a via a Scene change.
I'm currently traveling and am at a train station, in Geneva, as I type this. I'll be back at it in three days' time, and may appeal to the community in order to help improve the result.

I definitely hold my skills to be responsible at this point. I don't think that it is the Axe that can be viewed as being at fault; yet.

Next up is a Ram's Head Big Muff Pi and then a Korg Mr. Multi.

i contemplate purchasing a Timeline and Big Sky again almost daily, lol....haven't yet, though....

It's interresting - since I thought you were mostly into rootsy music - in what kind of musical context would you use those units?

I run my effects in front of Axe. I have fuzzes and other stuff that I just like. I just don't have the time to try to duplicate those sounds, like Kent invested with Rx Experience pedal. I have also have that pedal and would just rather plug in it and get on with it. I'm also just starting to find my way around the Axe.

I use my Axe FX as an amp modeling unit. I prefer my pedal board to the built-in effects, although for smaller gigs, I will use the built-in effects.

I'm leaning toward grabbing a Bogner Harlow boost/compressor or at the very least re-purchasing the Xotic SP Compressor. I really miss having a Comp that gives me that "squish" that I can't for the life of me dial in with the Axe FX.

I used to. Signal chain was:

Guitar-PW Tuner Pedal-Morley Bad Horsie 2-Axe Fx II XL

Then reality set in and I ordered a Mission Engineering EP-1 and used the built-in Axe Fx color tone &
Tuner.

Since then, life beith good.

Back
Top Bottom