External Dual Footswitch?

darrenw5094

Certified Bug Hunter
I just got my FC6 a few days ago.
What external Dual Footswitch are the right ones?

Would a Marshall footswitch with trs cable do the job?

Would a Marshall footswitch with trs cable do the job?

I've tried with an old spare Marshall footswitch I had and it works... although I need to tap twice for each function to work... Is there any config parameter that can be tuned for this to work properly? Now that I've recovered it from the depths maybe I can put it to good use.

I need to tap twice for each function to work... Is there any config parameter that can be tuned for this to work properly?
No, sadly. The switch itself needs to be momentary to be able to work correctly. Mosky's little dual footswitch is a good one. I have two. They're pretty inexpensive, but well built....

Mosky's little dual footswitch is a good one. I have two. They're pretty inexpensive, but well built....

Sounds good and I might go for it. I was just wanting to recycle. I never though I would use this thing again and was happy to recycle it somehow.

Nope. Most momentary switches are normally open. They only close when you stomp.
Weird, as the Mosky Dual Switches I have required reverse polarity settings to work right, while the normally-closed ones I got to mount in the Temple Audio pedalboard directly under the board only operate correctly with normal polarity.

Just tested the Mosky and it is, indeed, normally-open, so the manual must have an error, as well as a typo 'otion'....

Screen%20Shot%202020-09-28%20at%205.54.22%20PM.png

Weird, as the Mosky Dual Switches I have required reverse polarity settings to work right, while the normally-closed ones I got to mount in the Temple Audio pedalboard directly under the board only operate correctly with normal polarity.

Just tested the Mosky and it is, indeed, normally-open, so the manual must have an error, as well as a typo 'otion'....

Screen%20Shot%202020-09-28%20at%205.54.22%20PM.png
That's weird. My normally-open switches don't need top be reversed to behave normally. Could there be something else in the control chain that's reversing things?

That's weird. My normally-open switches don't need top be reversed to behave normally. Could there be something else in the control chain that's reversing things?
Don't know. They are both plugged into an FC with a standard TRS 1/4" cable. I had to cycle them once before they behaved when I had the normally-open Mosky switches set to "normal". Same with my below-deck normally-closed switches when set to "reverse". It works now that they are set this way, so I am not terribly concerned about it. 🤷

Don't know. They are both plugged into an FC with a standard TRS 1/4" cable. I had to cycle them once before they behaved when I had the normally-open Mosky switches set to "normal". Same with my below-deck normally-closed switches when set to "reverse". It works now that they are set this way, so I am not terribly concerned about it. 🤷
Maybe it has something to do with the initial state of whatever you're switching. Have you tried attaching them to a momentary Control Switch? It'd be interesting to see how they behave in that situation.

Maybe it has something to do with the initial state of whatever you're switching. Have you tried attaching them to a momentary Control Switch? It'd be interesting to see how they behave in that situation.
One is a momentary CS. Totally acts as it should, and requires a single press/release cycle to start behaving as expected if set as the manual suggests. I twiddle LFO Output B with it. It's easy to see the knob switch from 18% to 100%, and to trace which state should be its 'rest' state when not being pressed.

NC also feels a bit 'faster', as it triggers pretty soon in the button's downward travel, as opposed to closer to the end of its travel. My big toe can lightly touch it and activate it noiselessly, as it doesn't hit the end of the button's travel....

Last edited:
I just ordered a couple of "tap tempo" footswitches from Saturnworks. They're priced similarly to the Mosky dual switches ($27) but they are custom made in the USA. Their web site doesn't really have an option that says "buy this for the Axe-FX III FC-12" but the product I ordered was named "Tap Tempos - Soft Touch Double with TRS jack Normally Open."

They are the same type of switch as the other switches on the FC-12 and both tap and hold functions work.

Their website is saturnworkspedals.com.

Back
Top Bottom