External drive pedal in loop (noise)

Yes I did make all kinds of level adjustments... I did try running it in front of the Axe and it's perfectly quiet...

thanks for the additional details. o_O

why do people ask for help but then refuse to provide information or try the tests suggested? i don't get it.
Please take your sarcastic attitude somewhere else.. it's a simple issue and it's my thread everyone gave me good info. If I felt like I needed to break it down to the atom I would have....

do you get noise running a cable directly from Out3 to In3?

what pedal? what does the layout look like? details will solve things.

just a drive pedal with in and out 3

thanks for the additional details. o_O

why do people ask for help but then refuse to provide information or try the tests suggested? i don't get it.

Please take your sarcastic attitude somewhere else.. it's a simple issue and it's my thread everyone gave me good info. If I felt like I needed to break it down to the atom I would have....

Wow... That's a pretty rude reply to someone who is trying to help you :(

Especially for someone like Chris who helps so many on the forum.

You're not having any luck solving it, but don't want to provide the details he asked for to potentially help you?

Did you even try what he suggested in his first sentence?

Wow... That's a pretty rude reply to someone who is trying to help you :(

Especially for someone like Chris who helps so many on the forum.

You're not having any luck solving it, but don't want to provide the details he asked for to potentially help you?

Did you even try what he suggested in his first sentence?

It's pretty bad in my opinion when a moderator starts the negitive but you can sure count on his fan boys to continue..
I did start the thread and the info I got was really helpful. So you don't have to respond to my thread if you don't want. I'm cool with that....also I think if anyone was rude it was his comment.

In all fairness, Chris isn’t a FAS employee, just a musician, and he’s taken the time to make tons of helpful free videos and respond to literally thousands of questions over the years.

I’m not saying he is beyond fault, but, he’s one of those people who gives far, far more than most on these forums.

Some people only post to ask questions, which is fine, then other people like Chris, respond to help answer those questions. I think his overall track record and posting history speaks for itself.

He’s one of the good ones that make this forum a valuable resource and helpful place

That's fine and all I'm sure it's true. I just don't need the negative useless sarcastic comment that starts this useless talk. Totally off subject.

It's pretty bad in my opinion when a moderator starts the negitive but you can sure count on his fan boys to continue..
I did start the thread and the info I got was really helpful. So you don't have to respond to my thread if you don't want. I'm cool with that....also I think if anyone was rude it was his comment.
All Chris is saying is that it is hard to help when people do not provide details that would help understand what is going on. It is a frequent occurrence within the forum.

You have come here seeking help from the community. There are some very experienced people here that know what they are talking about. Two of them are on this very thread: Chris and Unix-Guy. Remote troubleshooting is challenging on the best of days. Help them to help you!

My $0.02. Drive pedals generally should be placed in a signal chain between the guitar and the amp input, that way the pedal can shape the overdrive produced within the amp. Delay, reverb and modulation effects are often placed in the loop while drive, wah, etc are in front of the amp. There is no absolute right way, but if you experience noise with drive in the loop and none with the pedal in front of the amp... seems to tell you where to place it for optimal integration.

If you are interested in why I say this or learning about designing a signal path you can read the this post or the Mimic Whitepaper.

Last edited:
I'm pretty experienced myself and if I don't see it fit to respond to someones request I dont. If he doesn't like that, thats fine
But don't vent on my post. Now I'm responding to this BS .

I'm pretty experienced myself and if I don't see it fit to respond to someones request I dont. If he doesn't like that, thats fine
But don't vent on my post. Now I'm responding to this BS .
Did you solve the drive pedal problem yet?

I hardly think mentioning the name of the pedal is breaking it down to the atom.

The level of experience of the guy with the problem doesn’t somehow make the solution easier to find. Especially with such little info given in the first post. The moment you assume things in troubleshooting is the moment you won’t figure out the problem.

My suggestion of trying Out 3 directly to In 3 is a very good test to begin troubleshooting. It immediately excludes all external factors and guarantees that you are setup correctly if the test is successful. If that test failed, it could point to an issue with the setup, layout, or cable.

Knowing the name of the drive pedal can help because then we can reference other threads and knowledge regarding that pedal. Maybe that pedal is noisy and that’s all there is. Or maybe someone else uses that pedal successfully which shows that you have something set wrong and we can difinitively figure it out.

Instead the arrogance of “I’m experienced” has prevented any forward movement and information sharing. In my 10 years of helping countless people on this forum and privately, it’s many times more of a psychological issue than a gear issue. I need to convince people to tell me info and this is a clear example. It’s like pulling teeth sometimes.

How hard would it have been to just say the name of the drive pedal when I asked? Instead, “I’m asking for help but I know enough that I don’t need to answer questions trying to help.”

I feel that if people are experienced, they wouldn’t start a thread asking for help *shrug*

Last edited:
You're right, I don't. And with your negative attitude, I won't.

Ever.

Welcome to my (very small) ignore list ;)

I hardly think mentioning the name of the pedal is breaking it down to the atom.
Nor do I think your comment was nesissary because I didn't give you the name of the pedal. I tried like 10 drive pedals, same thing on all of them. I'm running the pedal in front now. It's not possible for me to run a drive pedal after the instrument input with all the noise

Nor do I think your comment was nesissary because I didn't give you the name of the pedal. I tried like 10 drive pedals, same thing on all of them. I'm running the pedal in front now. It's not possible for me to run a drive pedal after the instrument input with all the noise
So the original problem wasn’t solved.

Seems about right.

But now after all this, we FINALLY have new information from you. “Like 10” drive pedals all had an issue so that points to something wrong in your setup.

It IS possible to run a drive pedal in an Out3-In3 loop.

You are setting it up wrong. I wish we knew how you had it setup because then we could point to the problem.

No issues here with inserting a pedal through I/O 3 or 4.
  • I take the signal from Input 1 and route it to the Output 3 block (default settings).
  • To enable unity gain, I set the OUT 3 knob on the front panel to the max position.
  • The signal enters the III again through the Input 3 block (default settings, noise gate off).
  • Note that Output 3 and Input 3 are not connected to each other.

• Note that Output 3 and Input 3 are not connected to each other.
This was my first guess as to the problem at the beginning of the thread but I tried to ask for a layout description before suggesting it and potentially confusing the issue. I never got that layout description.

Reactions: yek

The level of experience of the guy with the problem doesn’t somehow make the solution easier to find. Especially with such little info given in the first post. The moment you assume things in troubleshooting is the moment you won’t figure out the problem.

My suggestion of trying Out 3 directly to In 3 is a very good test to begin troubleshooting. It immediately excludes all external factors and guarantees that you are setup correctly if the test is successful. If that test failed, it could point to an issue with the setup, layout, or cable.

Knowing the name of the drive pedal can help because then we can reference other threads and knowledge regarding that pedal. Maybe that pedal is noisy and that’s all there is. Or maybe someone else uses that pedal successfully which shows that you have something set wrong and we can difinitively figure it out.

Instead the arrogance of “I’m experienced” has prevented any forward movement and information sharing. In my 10 years of helping countless people on this forum and privately, it’s many times more of a psychological issue than a gear issue. I need to convince people to tell me info and this is a clear example. It’s like pulling teeth sometimes.

How hard would it have been to just say the name of the drive pedal when I asked? Instead, “I’m asking for help but I know enough that I don’t need to answer questions trying to help.”

I feel that if people are experienced, they wouldn’t start a thread asking for help *shrug*
nice update on your post.. and you continue..this thread is useless .thank you moderator

nice update on your post.. and you continue..this thread is useless .thank you moderator
Seriously, YOU are the one making this thread useless because you would rather cop an attitude rather than give the people who are trying to help you the useful information they need. Otherwise, everyone is just guessing & trying to find a needle in a haystack. Chris has a very efficient, logical, methodical & EFFECTIVE method of trouble shooting that gets results. You are forcing everyone to be muddled in a very inefficient, illogical & ineffective method. The choice is yours but I'm not going waste anymore time on trying to help you.

Back
Top Bottom