External drive pedal in loop (noise)

APOGEE123

Experienced
I set up a drive pedal in/out 3 and i'm getting a lot of white noise. I played with the noise gate on input 3 but its not helping.. I'm using unbalanced cables(short run). any help would be great

I might be wrong, but I think Outputs 3/4 are designed for line level...

Try Output 2 and see if it works better.

Actually, out 3 & 4 are set up for outboard gear, pedals & 4cm & can achieve unity gain with the physical output knobs all the way up. They are not line level. Since this is a drive pedal, is it before or after the amp? If it's after, that could create a lot of noise.

From the manual:
TIP: OPTIMIZE FOR LOW NOISE
The optional Boost/Pad functions on Outputs 3 and 4 are designed to run the D/A converters at boosted levels, padding their outputs for even lower noise. To find the right setting, adjust either of these settings as high as possible without clipping the outputs, as indicated by a red LED on the front panel meters. You’ll actually hear the noise floor drop as you increase Boost/Pad. Find these options on the Audio page of the I/O menu under SETUP.

INSERTING OUTBOARD GEAR
Global Settings: As per your usual setup, check I/O Mono/Stereo SettingsPresets: Custom

With the typical “direct” setup using only Input 1 and Output 1, the Axe-Fx III has enough I/O blocks left over for multiple “send-and-return” inserts of outboard gear. The simple example below imagines a 3rd-party device inserted using Output 3 (used as a “send”) and Input 3 (used as a “return”). This setup can also be used with stereo inserts, or expanded with multiple I/O pairs for multiple outboard devices. Insert devices can even be added to other types of setups using these same techniques.

Custom presets are required for this type of setup, with output and input blocks added for the send and return points (see example below). The Axe-Fx III has no “FX LOOP” blocks, so inputs and outputs are placed individually on the grid. In a send/return pair, the Output block is connected to the Input block (as shown below), allowing the Input block (return) to serve as a master bypass control for the send/return loop.
CONNECTIONS
Connect your guitar to Input 1 (Instrument).
This example assumes Output 1 is connected to FRFR monitors.
  1. Connect Output 3 L as a “send” to the input of your outboard device. Adjust output levels using the front panel OUT 3 knob with the following considerations:Outputs 1 and 2 have options for –10 dbV and +4 dBu in SETUP: I/O: Audio.
  2. Outputs 3 and 4 provide unity gain when the knob is fully clockwise.
  3. You can also adjust the levels of an individual Output block.
Connect the output of your outboard device to Input 3 L as a “return”. Adjust levels on your device or use the trim controls under SETUP: I/O: Input.

Optionally connect the right channel inputs and outputs for stereo insert devices.

do you get noise running a cable directly from Out3 to In3?

what pedal? what does the layout look like? details will solve things.

Actually, out 3 & 4 are set up for outboard gear, pedals & 4cm & can achieve unity gain with the .
3+4 I think would be great for effect pedals at line level but drive pedals are what instrument level?... I never imagined this would be a problem with noise. I'm surprised I cant find anything on setting up drive pedals in the loop

3+4 I think would be great for effect pedals at line level but drive pedals are what instrument level?... I never imagined this would be a problem with noise. I'm surprised I cant find anything on setting up drive pedals in the loop
I think all stomp box pedals are instrument level unless they were specifically made to run in a line level FX loop.

A good majority of pedals can work just fine at both line and instrument level. Some drive pedals can be a bit picky though with input levels if they are expecting to see an instrument level input.

Probably have to run those in front of the III

I think all stomp box pedals are instrument level unless they were specifically made to run in a line level FX loop.
yeah your right. not sure whats going on here I turn the gain down on the pedal and still got noise. also tried another drive pedal same thing

A good majority of pedals can work just fine at both line and instrument level. Some drive pedals can be a bit picky though with input levels if they are expecting to see an instrument level input.

Probably have to run those in front of the III
yeah that sucks cuz that will put my compression block after the drive

yeah that sucks cuz that will put my compression block after the drive

If it’s a picky drive pedal it probably wouldn’t like a compressor running into it either, or you could always run an external comp pedal too

I’ve still got my old boss CS2, sounds great into the Axe front input

Im wondering if there is some way to configure input and outputs in axe edit to get this done...put The drive pedal in front of axe then setup like this
input 1, output 1, input2 then my compressor wah Amp and so forth output 2 to my board. the only thing I would have to do is run a cable between
input 2 and out 2

If it’s a picky drive pedal it probably wouldn’t like a compressor running into it either, or you could always run an external comp pedal too

I’ve still got my old boss CS2, sounds great into the Axe front input
not sure, myself I like running my compression first in the chain

Back
Top Bottom