External Buttons Question - Preset/Scene Saved states

joelster

Maybe the solution is obvious but I am a little vexed.

I have my FM3 set up with an expression pedal on switch one and two momentary switches on switch two. I/O settings for the two switches are set to virtual toggle.

It seems like the FM3 remembers the last position of those virtual toggle switches regardless of changing scenes or presets or even after powering down and back up. What I want however, is for a preset (or scene) to be called up in their saved state, regardless of what happened last with these switches.

Example: I have a clean scene that uses a fuzz for a lead. When I call up that scene, I want to to always start out as clean with the fuzz off. What's happening is that often as not, when I call up that preset and scene, the fuzz will be on already because maybe I left that switch on before or maybe even have it set up too turn on a drive in another scene.

Is there a way to have presets and/or scenes come up in its saved state, ignoring the last command sent via those external switches?

set Scene Revert to On in the Setup menu on the front panel. it's either in General or MIDI.

also consider using Stand-In switches for the externals, rather than "hard setting" it to something in the Setup > MIDI menu.

Thanks. I knew it had to be something simple.

I have been reading about stand in switches. I'll definitely check that out. Right now I am just assigning them in the controllers for the blocks.

in related news (i'm quite new to an FM3 and the Fractal universe), I have sorted out setting up som stand-in switches. I'm using an outboard dual (dumb) switch and am toggling a comp on/off as a last stage boost. In a perfect world, I could use that boost universally, so if it's on and I change scenes, it's on in the new scene as well, and if i turn it off and go back to a scene, it remains off. So scene revert does not quite cover that - is there a way to make 1 effect more "global" to all scenes in a preset?
Also, I found when trying to do a tap-tempo momentary combined with a hold for tuner, it seems to trigger the tuner simultaneously - not sure it there's a setting to adjust to clean that up - it's a bit difficult to explain... cheers- Tim

in related news (i'm quite new to an FM3 and the Fractal universe), I have sorted out setting up som stand-in switches. I'm using an outboard dual (dumb) switch and am toggling a comp on/off as a last stage boost. In a perfect world, I could use that boost universally, so if it's on and I change scenes, it's on in the new scene as well, and if i turn it off and go back to a scene, it remains off. So scene revert does not quite cover that - is there a way to make 1 effect more "global" to all scenes in a preset?
Also, I found when trying to do a tap-tempo momentary combined with a hold for tuner, it seems to trigger the tuner simultaneously - not sure it there's a setting to adjust to clean that up - it's a bit difficult to explain... cheers- Tim
there's no way for Blocks to "ignore" Scenes at this time. it's been requested for a while, but the implementation is pretty complex. some users want it to "mostly" ignore and then sometimes listen to Scene instruction, so the Axe somehow has to know when you want it and when you don't hehe.

for the Tuner coming up sometimes, make sure your switch is set up properly in the Setup menus. a recent thread had success with this issue by adjusting it for the switch he had:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/odd-external-footswitch-behaviour.167154/post-2007788

for the Tuner coming up sometimes, make sure your switch is set up properly in the Setup menus. a recent thread had success with this issue by adjusting it for the switch he had:

Awesome - i just needed to set the pedal up properly for the tap/tune combo to work - thanks.

I had a similar request for a ‘global’ effect that bypasses scenes. It can be done if you use a Control Switch with the Per Preset (PP) layout. You could then use your external switch as a Stand-In switch mapped to a PP switch (I use PP#12). You can find me being walked through the process here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/scenes-blocks-and-state.165451/

Wow - well, that was easy :rolleyes::
Setting outboard "dumb" switch to always control toggle of a final stage clean-boost (across all scenes in a preset):

• set effect bypass modifier to Control Switch #X, reverse "polarity" of switch for default to bypassed
  • setup Per-Preset switch #X on Per-Preset layout to assign tap function -as latching- to Control Switch #X
  • (confirm the outboard switch #Z is setup as switches of proper type - in my case normally open) [setup > IO > pedal]
  • set stand-in switch for outboard switch #Z to P-P Layout, switch #X [setup > FC controllers... > stand-in switches]

I'm guessing that Per-Preset Switch Overrides has to be enabled? [setup > FC controllers... > config]
I think it already was by default.

Challenges of getting there aside, I'm quickly finding there is not much this box can't do.
Thanks for the support and knowledge - this community is keeping me "sane" through the process.

Back
Top Bottom